New tiller for Oday 27 (1974)

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
We just restained and varnished our tiller from our "new" boat (1974), and it snapped when we went to install it, and thankfully didn't wait to break when sailing!
Looking at rudder craft, the tiller for the Oday 27 seems to have a huge rise (see image). What size, rise, dimensions do you guys use on your oday 27s?

Thanks!

Attachments

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
My opinion on Ruddercraft, having bought a kick-up rudder for my O'Day 20 last year:

Some nice materials. Basically a good design. Some mediocre workmanship including very poor finishing, sharp edges, mis-drilled holes. Very poor (tardy or none) customer response and attitude when you finally speak to them. Overall, overpriced until they decide to put a little more effort into fit and finish.

The prettiest thing was the laminated tiller, in contrasting color woods. But, it was 14" longer than my stock tiller, unacceptable in a small cockpit, and so lost a lot of its prettiness when I modified it. My guess is that they use a tiller length suitable for a Mariner, with its longer cockpit and greater reach to jib sheets for the single-hander. No interest from Ruddercraft at all when I suggested, in a very positive way, that they might offer a shorter tiller as an option.

If there is an alternative source, I would go with it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You may be able to work with them to get a shape you want. When they were IdaSailor they were very easy to work with. I bought the rudder, post riser and tiller for my Mac26S.