"new style" traveler rigging

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My boat came with the traveler mounted in the companionway, which I understand some people like, but I kinda hate it. I'm in the process of moving it back to the stern pulpit.

I've been looking at how they're rigged, much differently from my '79 model. Google images are kinda scarce, so I'm wondering how you guys have yours rigged.

I did find these pics: http://home.comcast.net/~catalina22fleet20/news/rpts/200610/200610.htm#Traveler_Upgrade

The pics are small, but they've told me a few things. I'm a little skeptical of the cam cleats being way out on the coaming (mine have been removed anyway) and I kinda lean toward the way the Mk II and the Sport are pictured, with cam cleats mounted on the pulpit rails, right at the ends of the track. Unless someone tells me otherwise, this is probably how I'll do mine.

But before I start throwing money at CD, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions??

Thanks!

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
I moved the original cam cleats up next to the headsail winch and cleat and used a turning block at the spot where the clam cleats were to direct the lines forward on the top of gunwales. This allows me to control the traveler at the same location as I work the headsail sheet.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
I moved the original cam cleats up next to the headsail winch and cleat and used a turning block at the spot where the clam cleats were to direct the lines forward on the top of gunwales. This allows me to control the traveler at the same location as I work the headsail sheet.
I'd like to see some pictures of that.

Dixiedawg, I can take some pictures on Wednesday. I wish you had told me yesterday :evil:

I always question the functionality or our travelers, keep in mind I only have 90 days of tiller time in.........I never touch it and wonder with a left to right range of 18" (I'm guessing) is it really even necessary :confused:

I mean, sure you can't get the boom to windward without it, but is 9" or so to windward side really going to change our boats that much....IDK....

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Depends on how you intend to use the boat. If you plan on any racing, check the rules because the traveler is addressed. If not, do what you like. We've just left out MK-II pretty stock with the exception of the line. I thought about moving the traveler forward, but then I couldn't use my bimini,(plus a trip hazard when fetching a cup of coffee) .....which would be barbaric!

Don

Sep 30, 2013
Dixiedawg, I can take some pictures on Wednesday. I wish you had told me yesterday :evil:

I always question the functionality or our travelers, keep in mind I only have 90 days of tiller time in.........I never touch it and wonder with a left to right rage of 18" (I'm guessing) is it really even necessary :confused:

I mean, sure you can get the boom to windward without it, but is 9" or so to windward really going to change our boats that much....IDK....

Sorry AZ ... I hate to keep pestering YOU for this stuff, I was trying to spread the pestering around a little!! :D You nailed it on the traveler range, it's 18" exactly by my measurement.

Depends on how you intend to use the boat. If you plan on any racing, check the rules because the traveler is addressed. If not, do what you like. We've just left out MK-II pretty stock with the exception of the line. I thought about moving the traveler forward, but then I couldn't use my bimini,(plus a trip hazard when fetching a cup of coffee) .....which would be barbaric!

Don
Yeah, I hated having that sheet right there in the middle of the companionway. With the track and hardware and lines covering up half an acre of teak, too. Ironically, the PO said he moved it in order to accommodate the Bimini! Not sure how that worked since I haven't had the Bimi on yet. But something will have to give in that department. I don't always use a Bimini, but I'm always gonna have a traveler. ;)

So is this what your Mk II has, CaptDon? Any complaints? If not, I think it's how I'll go.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Dixiedawg,

Yup, that's the same as our MK-II traveler set-up. I like the bimini forward to help shade the cabin and me while I normally stand in the companionway while sailing. Helps keep the weight forward. No complaints with the traveler. I don't mind the occasional lean back to the transom to adjust it.

Photo as we sail back from Destin to Ft Walton Beach last summer. Can't wait to return! :dance:

Don

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
Dixiedawg,

Yup, that's the same as our MK-II traveler set-up. I like the bimini forward to help shade the cabin and me while I normally stand in the companionway while sailing. Helps keep the weight forward. No complaints with the traveler. I don't mind the occasional lean back to the transom to adjust it.

Photo as we sail back from Destin to Ft Walton Beach last summer. Can't wait to return! :dance:

Don
Outstanding. The parts are on order! I need the two rail-mounted cam cleats of course, but my car is also pretty much shot. Interestingly, ONE cam cleat costs more than the car. Go figure.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
9 inches

"azguy" my boat is in storage for the winter.

The travel distance, at say nine inches, is just about right on the Catalina 22 for the sheeted main sail to be moved windward enough to bring the boom to the exact center line of the hull for up wind sailing. Now, sometimes you may want the boom to go further beyond center, to point higher, to help clear a buoy or obstruction in light to med winds. The load on the mainsail of a Catalina 22 is not that great, so just stand up and pull the end of the boom or sheet with your hands till you clear the obstacle. If the wind is that strong that you cannot pull, by hand, then you should not be that close to something, you should of tacked way before you get that close.

When I say to point higher with the boom beyond center, the boat will point but, you will go real slow and you'll only want do that in very tight situations.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
"azguy" my boat is in storage for the winter.

The travel distance, at say nine inches, is just about right on the Catalina 22 for the sheeted main sail to be moved windward enough to bring the boom to the exact center line of the hull for up wind sailing. Now, sometimes you may want the boom to go further beyond center, to point higher, to help clear a buoy or obstruction in light to med winds. The load on the mainsail of a Catalina 22 is not that great, so just stand up and pull the end of the boom or sheet with your hands till you clear the obstacle. If the wind is that strong that you cannot pull, by hand, then you should not be that close to something, you should of tacked way before you get that close.

When I say to point higher with the boom beyond center, the boat will point but, you will go real slow and you'll only want do that in very tight situations.
I appreciate that.....any help is always appreciated...like I said with only about 90 days of ownership and maybe 20-25 sailing days of tiller time, I never even look at the traveler. Heck, I've just started jibing in the last few weeks, it was less nerve racking sailing close to the wind or on beam reaches :)

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Here is a copy of the original setup. I don't see why you couldn't run a traveler across the back of boat bench seats. Or you could run it gunnel to gunnel. The C-27 runs it across the back seat and it works fine. The only thing I don't like is it occasionally chews up the tiller. I have considered putting it on the cabin top as many do but I am concerned about blocking the forward view.
As far as straddling the seat near the cabin some of my friends have it set up that way and it does not seem to interfere with getting in and out of the cabin.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
Thanks AZ! The big brown truck o' joy should be here any minute with my new cam cleats and car. :D

Side note, how do you like your tiller tamer??