NEW STANDING RIGGING!

Izzy

Apr 23, 2013
Macgregor 26S Gray Court
Well I just finished installing new standing rigging on my 26S. Ordered them from BWY, and they fit perfect. Now the running rigging looks like crap! Guess I need to order new running rigging. I am trying to get the boat ready for the water over the 4th holiday, and noticed some broken wires on the old rigging.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Smart move. You will feel better now when the wind pipes up.

I sewed up a sunbrella cover for the running rigging that stays attached to the mast on the trailer hoping that I'll get more life out of the rigging. It goes on and off fast with common sense fasteners and makes trailering easier.

I also did the same for the traveler and the line on it.

Have fun on your 4th trip and post pictures and a report,

Sumner
===================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Good call Izzy. One broken strand means it's time to replace the line.
Have a great sail. I'll be paddling a canoe over the 4th but, if all goes well, I'll be sailing by the end of July.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Well I just finished installing new standing rigging on my 26S. Ordered them from BWY, and they fit perfect. Now the running rigging looks like crap! Guess I need to order new running rigging. I am trying to get the boat ready for the water over the 4th holiday, and noticed some broken wires on the old rigging.
BWY is a great place to shop for Macs. They know their stuff! Did you by chance upgrade to the metal spreader tips?

Izzy

Apr 23, 2013
Macgregor 26S Gray Court
No, the plastic one still looked to be in good shape. Too many other things to pay for before that would be even close to the top of the list. My next big concern is the trailer. I would love to get a new one, but boat funds are a little low right now.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
IF you enjoy do it your self things consider doing your own eyes using galv. steel wire. It will take some time but thats what winters -- forced boat layups are for. Start by reading Bryon Toss. You'll find that the galv. steel wire has higher specs and many advantages over SS wire.

Jul 21, 2009
2 26s Point du chene
Interesting, SS rigging should be replaced about every 6 to 8 years. Contrary to what some think SS does rust. And the plastic covers over the wire simply rust the wire quicker by keeping the water in especially in salt water.

Izzy

Apr 23, 2013
Macgregor 26S Gray Court
Yes, it is call Stainless Steel, not stain proof steel:) As far as the plastic caps, maybe in the near future. After last weekend at the lake, priorities are remote motor control, and a new depth sounder. :(