New Spin Halyard

JP

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Homewood,Ca
I would like to install a spin Halyard on my 1987 Catalina 30.
It is a masthead rig with a harken furler. There is a spinnaker crane at the top of the mast the extends 4 or so inches out. I would like to add a block to the crane and run an external halyard. I would like to avoid the cost of taking the mast down if possible.
I have an Asym spin North sail( G1 AP Gennaker) in a launch bag with a snuffer. I also received a ATM tacker.
I Have no experience using a Asym spin

My first question: Will the external halyard invite problems? Thanks for the advice I feel that I am good to go on the set up of the halyard.

If I could ask another question, sorry if its a bit broad, but I guess we all have some time on our hands or most of us do.
What are the steps/best practices for the first time raising of an Asym spin?
I have searched the old posts and been thru the cruisers forum as well but I am still looking for more information. Any links to specific articles would be great. I would like to print up a check list for raising and flying if possible.
I will be using the gear above. I plan on attaching the tack line to the ATM and then down to a block on the anchor roller led back to an organizer on the cabintop. I think I will keep the halyard at the mast since someone has to be near there to deal with the sock, but I do have the option to lead it back as well.
I have an ST 4000 auto pilot.
The crew will be the Admiral and myself or just me solo most of the time. I only plan on using the sail during light 5-10 conditions. I bought this new three years ago and it looks light this is the year to hoist it up and see what excitement ensues.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My first question: Will the external halyard invite problems?
Mostly no. There will be 2 easily dealt with issues. First, with external halyards you will get more halyard slap at the dock and depending on your relationship to your dock neighbors, it may or may not be a problem. It can be solved by pulling the halyard away from the mast.

The other issue, and it can be an issue with an internal halyard too, is the spin halyard getting caught in the roller furling. Again, it is a pretty easy fix, just make sure the halyard is clear of the upper swivel. On my boat I can not store the halyard connected to the pulpit and go sailing, I have to pull it back to the mast and make sure it is not wrapped around the forestay. Not a big problem until you forget to check and try to furl the Genoa.

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
On my Catalina 28 I leave the spinnaker halyard clipped tight to the bow pulpit when not in use, that stops slapping and also is a backup to the forestay (which I can't see inside the furler). If the spinnaker crane clears the top roller on the furler as mentioned above it shouldn't be a problem at all.
I don't use the ATM tacker, instead I have a short dyneema line with a soft shackle that I attach to the bail on the bow roller. I've checked the hardware and it is plenty strong enough for the job.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
[QUOTE="brazenarticle, post: 1623150, member: 113831".... that I attach to the bail on the bow roller. I've checked the hardware and it is plenty strong enough for the job. [/QUOTE]
I used to attach an asym to my bow hardware for the anchor. I wouldn't fly it over 15 kts but it worked fine.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
You want to use the masthead crane, because if the halyard only came straight from the masthead exit you'd have problems dropping the sail wherever its be gybed.

I would not worry about the external halyard, You'll have no more problem with halyard slap that you probably already deal with for lazy jacks, lifts or other halyards - anything external to the mast needs to be tied off, I do it once and forget about it until I adjust or use of the lines involved.

I also found securing the spinnaker halyard at the bow pulpit to result in it interfering with jib furling, so I bring the halyard back to the mast, where I clip it to itself, between the mast base block and the deck turning block, where it remains out of the way of everything and not subject to slapping.

You can find some advice on line selection

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Our Asymetric halyard runs to a block hung from a bail that holds it a couple of inches in front of the mast. In about 18 years there have been a couple of times that I secured it (to the mast) in a way that interferes with the genny furler swivel. Both were easily corrected. And I easily prevent it by making sure the spin halyard is clear going up and coming down the mast. I secure both to the sides of the mast. The snap shackle for the spin sock to a ring on the mast, and the other end of the halyard to a cleat.

You’ll love the Asymetric. I figure ours keeps us cruising on wind instead of the iron genny when winds are light about 20% of our passage time on the Great Lakes Erie and Huron.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
...You’ll love the Asymetric. I figure ours keeps us cruising on wind instead of the iron genny when winds are light about 20% of our passage time on the Great Lakes Erie and Huron.
We added a cruising chute five years ago and I agree its wonderful to be able to keep sailing when a light/moderate breeze goes after the beam.

I have to say if I were doing again I would go with a symmetrical even though the requires more hardware and a pole.

Most every time we sail deep with the asym, eventually it wraps itself around the forestay and is a bear to get down. I've never had a problem wrapping a symmetrical...including through 12 hour downwind runs on an AP.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
On my 310 I added a block to the front of my mast crane (it sounds a bit short like yours ~4") and then re-routed the spinnaker halyard from the exit point below where the genoa attached to just above on the side so it could get to the block. As long as I keep the halyard stretched tight to the bow pulpit it does not interfere with the genoa furler.