New spin halyard gets wrapped around headstay at the top

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I recently rigged up my Hunter 34 with a spinnaker and it's boatloads of fun. One issue is that the spinnaker halyard tends to get wrapped around the headstay right at the top when the jib is furled or unfurled causing the furler to become jammed. This happens when the spinnaker is not in use but usually after it has been in use. The block is external hung on a ring above the headstay attachment point. I've only used the spinny a couple of times and this has happened a couple of times so I can see it is going to be a problem. What is the proper way to prevent this?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mark could this be happening before the sail is raised?

Not sure I understand that it could happen during use of the sail. You may want to remember how the sail was tacked/gybed so that you "unwind" the sail before lowering. If not before raised, I have not seen a sail tangled after. Perhaps when you tack you do an outside tack one way then an inside tack the next time. But that is the only way I can see you wrapping the halyard.

ON the other hand perhaps you furl the jib with a slack spinnaker halyard then raise the spinnaker. Not sure why but that might cause a wrap. If so I am not sure how you could raise the spinnaker at all.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
One issue is that the spinnaker halyard tends to get wrapped around the headstay right at the top when the sail is furled up.
By sail, do you mean the spinnaker? How are you furling/unfurling the spin? A top-down furler?

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
On a Catalina 30, many skippers "flip" the not in use spin halyard over and aft of the upper shroud (port or starboard your pick) and then attach the halyard to the deck aft of the mast somewhere. In this manner the spinnaker halyard does not interfere with the genoa. If I misunderstood your question then sorry to bug you.

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
I had experienced the the same issue, with the spinnaker halyard getting caught as the furler turns. Flipping the spinnaker halyard behind the shroud when not in use ( as jnorten proposes ) has prevented the issue. I know in my case it is the top edge of the furler blade that catches the Halyard, so I am also looking at making a round two piece collar ( to allow attachment whilst furler Is in place) which can attached to the top of the blade. It does have a plastic cap now, but that is not adequate and gets pushed off.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Can we describe your problem as the halyard getting snagged by the furler's swivel? Where do you secure the halyard when it's not being used? The pulpit, or to the mast, or somewhere else?

What you need to do is go through the procedure while the boat's tied up at the dock. Get your binoculars and watch what happens when you roll the furler in and out. The problem can probably be solved by either paying attention to make sure the halyard is fair when you are finished....or by relocating how and where you store it.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
So I added more words to the original post to clarify. In summary the spin halyard is getting wrapped around the roller furler at the top when the jib is furled and /or unfurled.
On a Catalina 30, many skippers "flip" the not in use spin halyard over and aft of the upper shroud (port or starboard your pick) and then attach the halyard to the deck aft of the mast somewhere. In this manner the spinnaker halyard does not interfere with the genoa. If I misunderstood your question then sorry to bug you.
By Joe I think you’ve got it. It seems to be happening when the halyard is stowed usually right after being used. Most likely as a result of being stowed in a way that allows it to be in contact with the furler. Then, when the jib is unfurled, WHAM! It’s wrapped up. I wonder if there is a way of installing it that minimizes this.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I had this problem with my spin halyard. In my case it was the hoisting end of the halyard not the sail end that was causing the problems. I ended up fixing it by putting a fairlead on the mast a couple of feet below the masthead halyard block to devert the line away from the jib furler.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I solved this problem by moving the end of the spinnaker halyard from the bow pulpit, instead securing the halyard end to the halyard itself, between its mast exit and the deck organizer. There it wouldn't interfere but is ready for use, and if you hand tension the end of the spinnaker halyard, you should be able to get it tight enough that it doesn't slap the mast at night.

1605381812794.png

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a CDI furler with the internal wire halyard, so I don’t have too many issues with my Spin Halyard, but when not in use, I pull it around the spreader and shroud and tie it off on one of the shrouds. Out of the way and it doesn’t slap the mast.

Greg

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I tie mine to the apex of the bow pulpit to keep it out of the way of the furler, but it is a PIA and has to be significantly tight to keep it from interfering with the furler.

I like the suggestion quoted and am going to try this in the spring, I am just curious about the halyard chaffing against the shroud.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Spinnaker crane. Moves the block forward into clear air, and away from anxiety interference. :)

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
John (jssailem) has a very good point about possibly bringing the spinnaker down with the halyard over and above the headstay. On the 34, the spinnaker halyard is outside with the block on a bail on portside of the mast. Theoritically when you hoist the spinnaker its head and halyard is above the headstay. And it is that way but if you take it down on the starboard side, it then brings the halyard close to the headstay where it has a chance to get wrapped, as you have had happened. I always hoist with the spinnaker (and jib if I hoist from behind it) on the port side. Bringing it down on the port side makes it easier to avoid the wrapping. Once spinnaker is in the bag (or cabin), I swing both ends of the spinnaker halyard towards the stern around the mast top and back to the front around the shroud below the spreader and secure it near the base of the mast (See pix). BTW, the shackled end of my spare jib halyard gets the same treatment. This avoids the wrapping and avoids having the unused halyards in the way of headsail movement. Never noticed any serious chafing however when anchored with the wind fairly strong, I take both halyards away from the mast and shrouds to eliminate annoying rattling noise reverberated inside the mast.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I recently rigged up my Hunter 34 with a spinnaker and it's boatloads of fun.
I absolutely agree! Big flying sails add an exciting element to sailing.

I found the learning curve of how best to manage the sail for how, where and when to use it or not is part of the thrill. Nothing like having an off angle gust REALLY power up the sail to get your heart pumping. :)

From my experience prepping and launching the sail is relatively easy compared to dousing and the transition back to “normal headsail” mode. During launch (unless racing) you can take your time, make sure everything is correct, pick which tack you want to be on etc.

The takedown - douse can often occur when things are NOT ideal. Rapid increase in wind strength and/or direction, boat traffic etc can force you to take action quickly creating a situation where things can get messy.

Having a really clear mental picture of how the sail comes down and your gear set up to avoid potential Argh!!! moments goes a long way to keeping the fun factor and your enthusiasm up for flying these sails :)

Have you considered having a cleat on the mast so that you can manage the halyard from there if you wanted?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Clip the halyard shackle to your spinnaker pole's mast ring. If you don't have one of those, then a horn cleat, or anything in the area away from the headstay. I've even clipped mine to the lifeline. When you're done sailing you'll want to secure all your halyards so they won't slap the mast and annoy your neighbors. You can leave the external halyard clipped to the mast and swing the double line out and around the spreaders...then put some tension on it. It's not going to chafe because it doesn't move. If your jib halyards are external you have that option too... but..if they're internal like mine, I prefer tying them to a shroud with short stuff to pull the single lines away from the mast. There are a number of ways to secure your halyards... as long as they stay quiet when you leave the boat ... anything goes.

Heads up..... before you go sailing...undo the "flipped around the spreaders" halyard.... it's a pain to do it on the water because you have to lean out beyond the lifeline. Don't move the spinnaker halyard to the pulpit... why would you want it up there? That's not where you stand when you launch and retrieve the kite. I think it's okay to leave the jib halyards clipped to the pulpit unless you're going to use a pole... then I'd move them back to the mast.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
As M. Auger, my spin block is on the port side.. I have two jib halyards and a spin halyard.. The spin pole downhaul is on a pad eye with rigging to handle it from either side of the cockpit; just aft of my feet on the deck. That downhaul makes a fine place to secure unused halyards when in slip or at anchor to keep them from slapping.. I also have a wire luff sail that I can cutter rig from the pad eye and the spin topping lift in light air.
34 Masthead.JPGDSC00004.JPG