New Sails

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Walsh

I just bought my first boat,an'84 C27. The boat has what I think are original Doyle sails (also confirmed by the surveyor), I need to replace my 155% RF Genoa. In the May'99 issue, p.17 there is an ad for The Sailing Source JSI. I received a quote from them, actually the same price as listed in their ad, $748. I have rec'd two quotes from local sail makers there is almost twice the price. I spoke to JSI at length today - the sail is 5.9 oz. dacron w/ UV cover, sail bag and NO Sales Tax. Has anyone heard of this company? or suggest any other avenues? How about Used Sails? Thanks in advance for any/all info. Jim Walsh

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Since sails are made by hand

...and no company buys enough fabric to see major economies of scale, if you're dealing with any major loft you'll typically get what you pay for. As with any hand-made product there are plenty of places to cut corners. You may see some off-season deals and such, but often the cheapest sail is not the best, or even as good, as the mainstream brands. Of course, this assumes you want high quality sails. If you're not that particular about the shape, stretch, or longevity you may be better off looking for lowest price. Whoi knows? You might get lucky! Use sails may be a good way to get better workmanship at a lower cost.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

JSI is a well known name

Congratulations, Jim! What kind of sailing are you planning? You probably aren't really serious about racing if you're looking at getting RF, right? If this is the case, and you're just looking for something better, I'd definitely look into used sails. You can post a message on this site (go back to the home page & go into the Classifieds section) letting people know what you need (that's how I bought my "new" main). There are also myriad websites featuring used sails, any search engine should pop up a few. If you're set on brand new, I'd definitely look seriously at better lofts. Phil was right, you get what you pay for with regards to sails. JSI is well known but that doesn't necessarily equal good. Good luck! LaDonna

C

Chris Bloor

Used Sails

Congrats on your new boat, Jim! I've posted this info before, but I think it went to the archives. I found an asymmetrical spinnaker for our C-42 for $1100 -- about 1/4 of the price of new. It's in "like new" condition, so I was lucky. Try www.usedsails.com. That's the web site for Atlantic Sail Traders. You can call them at 800-WIND-800 to get info on the size you need, then order through the net. They rate condition and tell you of any patches, numbers, etc. We were very happy and have recommended this site to several people. Good luck and happy sailing! Chris Bloor Great Escape III C-42 #372

Status
Not open for further replies.