New Sails

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
We're looking at replacing our Hunter 386 sails. They're original, 2002. We've been told that our mainsail is seen better days and has stretched quite a bit. Just wondering if they're are any recommendations out there? Maybe something to look forward to next year. Thanks,

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
al declercq has built all my sails over the last 35 years. he owns the loft. he's local. being local, you can have him build and fit the sails onto your boat. get him to go sailing on your boat and trim for you.
i really like all the sails he has built for me over the years.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Gary, my discovery having sailed these waters in the last 18 months, there are two basic paths.

You can buy on line sails that you measure saving some change, or you can find a local loft who sends someone to your boat to measure the specific requirements, then builds and fits the sails helping with installation and trim info.

I found the local loft worked for me. Received a fair quote that after comparing the economics was selected. Raised the sails about a month ago and experienced the A-ha moment hoped for.

Sep 11, 2019
I like the idea of using someone local. I have sent a shout out to Doyle Sails in Detroit. Thanks for the help!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Suggest contacting your local lofts, like Jon suggested, and obtain discuss sail material, battens or not and finish/construction (e.g., inland, coastal, offshore including thread type and uv resistance, rows of stitches, clew hardware, etc.) for your type of sailing (e.g., cruising, racing, offshore). Then obtain price quotes.

You probably have crosscut dacron sails as I had on both my Hunter 31, 386 and 46. For my Hunter 31 and 386 sails I replaced them with crosscut dacron but added batten sails (partial battens for the in-mast 386 main) and Hunter 46 I just purchased tri-radial polyester cruising laminate sails, all with a coastal/offshore finish.

You find the following articles helpful:
Cross Cut vs. Radial Sail Construction: https//www.fxsails.com/sailchoicearticle.php
Modern Cruising Sail Construction & Materials: MODERN CRUISING SAILS: Sail Construction and Materials - Wave Train

Sep 11, 2019
I received 2 quotes today, 1 from Doyle and the other from North Sails. Both look pretty good. Does anyone have any insight into these 2 companies? Thanks,

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
North sails have been around since 1957 (North Sails - Wikipedia) and Doyle sails have been around since 1982. [B]jon hansen[/B] endorses Doyle. I am sure the forum will offer their experience with both. I have only had UK Halsey sails on all my sailboats to date so I cannot comment on North and Doyle.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I bought a new main sail last year from North sails. I appreciated the personal attention (sales guy came out to measure my sail and discuss my desire for full battens. I ended up Also adding a Tides Marine Strong Track and am glad I did.

and sail is great!

Greg

Sep 11, 2019
North Sails are Main - Crosscut Nordac ND72MA, Genoa - Crosscut Nordac ND78HA. Doyle Sails are Main - Cross Cut 7.77 Marblehead, Genoa - Crosscut 6.77 Marblehead. Both seem pretty good.

Oct 22, 2014
Gary
I am a North Sails owner. Like their heritage in sail design. Historically they competed with the great sail maker Ted Hood. Hood had the historical skill and eye for sail design, Lowell North applied science and computer design to the task. Initially it was a bit rough for North. They eventually won races with their sails and created new ideas applying aerodynamics to their designs.

I am pleased with the cruising sails they delivered.

Sep 11, 2019
Just to follow up, we went with Al Declercq. He no longer is with Doyle sails, but now with Quantum. I met Al at our boat while he took measurements. Next spring ( when the sails are ready ) Al is going to take us out and give us the low down. With this year being our first, I think we did great...but really looking forward to having someone with that much experience to pick their brain.

Oct 22, 2014
That is great Gary. Having that communication and the information about the sails once they are on your boat is a valuable thing.

Send pictures next spring of the boat all decked out. I'll be looking for them.