New sails

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
New sails have a way of making you feel like you have a brand new boat!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Makes me more appreciative of the movie Sideways. :)

John, you do realize that those colors are the California Golden Bears, right?

I think they're lovely. :cool:

Great pictures. Thanks.

Go fast, go now! :yikes:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Makes me more appreciative of the movie Sideways. :)

John, you do realize that those colors are the California Golden Bears, right?
Sorry to bust your bubble, but those are L.A. Rams colors.
okay.... Cal can use them too............ but.... I'm not drinking any Merlot!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Wow. Nice spin sail and a happy skipper; top speed? Did your new anchor get tested? Conditions?! Outcome?!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thank you Guys. The asymmetrical spinnaker is new and culmination of a sail plan improvement that dates to my 2016 mast refit where I added the running rigging. It looked great when I raised it and that first whomp sound as it filled. Ok it was really the second raise as the sheet was lead on the wrong side of the forestay. But on the second raise their was that wonderful sound and the boat felt liked it kept out of the starting blocks. We played with the trim a bit and felt we could easily sail from 65 to 170 degrees True Wind. With the breeze at about 7-10 knots we cruised along between 5.8 and 6.1 on the Sail.

Now you color fanatics need to remember this is SV Hadley. A recognition of my Navy family traditions. So the colors are the best NAVY BLUE AND GOLD available from North Sails. And they sparkle in the eyes of this sailor.

My thanks go out to Les for the great time I enjoyed getting out on my first cruise of 2020. The boat ran beautifully. New refrigerator maintained the beer at a perfect temp. No issues with water intrusion as the newly bedded hand rails provided a dry interior. We feasted on grilled teriyaki glazed chicken and pork chops christening the Magna grill. The 2019 installed Mantus anchor, along with the SBO supplied Lewmar windlass and chain/rode worked like engineered. ( thanks for all your help @Dave Groshong ). You sailors on this forum helped with ideas for a butane single burner and the shared info resulted in a handy tool that gave crew among other treats Hot Coffee and soup during or second day when the morning brought us a drizzly low chilly cloud cover on the water.

Our cruise began on Tuesday with hopes that an afternoon breeze might develop. The winds gods thought better and put a fickle breeze on the nose. Except for about 30 minutes as we rounded Possession Point. With our entrance into the Sound, we were teased with a what felt like a zephyr on the beam. Out came the new NS 140 Genoa. The crisp new cloth caught the wind and the tell tails flew. The wind lasted but 30 minutes. Enough time to see how the new sail can harness the wind. Then it was gone.

We spent our first night at anchor in -Lopez - Port Ludlow - (correction) our sunset arrival meant we ventured far into the bay to seek an anchorage. We found our spot, set the anchor and enjoyed a quiet twilight among the firs and eagles seeking an evening snack.

Wednesday arrived wet and chilly. Hot coffee and we were on our way up the Port Townsend channel across PT Bay. Reaching Admiralty Inlet we felt the west wind. Out came the sails Main, Genoa filled as we were carried out across the shipping lanes towards Whidbey Island. We tacked upon reaching the North side of the channel and played with sail trim as we sought to gain an edge against the changing tide. After about hour It was evident that Mother Nature was getting the upper hand. Poseidon's currents bested our attempts to capture the softening breeze. So we lowered the sail and powered out onto a calm but lumpy Juan D’Fuca strait. Made good time upto Deception Pass and rode the Flooding tide Eastward into Skaggit Bay and our home for the night Hope Island.

Thursday morning arrived with broken high clouds. We enjoyed coffee and a moderate paced start to the day.With the tide change at 10 we released our line around the mooring bouy and Made our course SE down Saratoga passage. The waters were busy with pleasure boaters and commercial fishing crews hauling crab pots that dotted the edges of our course. The winds shifted as we made our way past Oak Harbor. As soon as we got the opportunity we unfurled the Genoa and caught the quartering winds. They carried us for a while but blew them selfs out till later in the day.

Finally about Langley we felt their return on the back of my neck. That’s when I shouted Let’s fly the Spinnaker. And we did. Oh the fun.

Our 3 day adventure was just the thing to break up the Covid blues and recharge.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It was Port Ludlow for first night not Lopez. Other than that great fun and a bit of sun.

Oct 22, 2014
We did Terry. Now celebrating Daughter and grandson birthdays, Up in the Mountains of Oregon.

But I’ll return soon to the beauty that is the Puget Sound.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Great. Grandson’s First Communion this weekend in Wenatchee, then anniversary next week. Hope to be on the water for awhile after that. Planning a rendezvous with Tom Burgess and his new soon to be boat, a 1985 Nauticat 38 pilot house ketch. A very nice boat. Have not been aboard yet, but did look at it up close.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Congrats John! Looks like things are coming together! I remember anchoring in Port Ludlow way back in the inner harbor when NO houses etc were there..

Oct 22, 2014
Yes they have a new housing project there now. When I mentioned our Port Ludlow stay, my wife called up a new home design she wanted me to see. The pictures showed the very spot we chose to anchor. Pretty nice. Did not go all the way into the inner bay. We thought we might get in there and not get back out across the shallows.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
That is one sharp Asym. The blue and gold colors look very regal driving SV Hadley. John's smile says it all.
Very sweet that all those upgrades worked without a hitch for your shakedown cruise.
Great write up John.