New sails

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 34MKII 1717 Merritt Island, FL
Hello, I am looking at replacing my main sail. Is it better to use a bigger company online or use a local loft? thank you....gary

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
You may save a few $ going online but I like to support my local loft and I know he'll be there if the sail needs altering or repair.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The lofts that actually build their sails on site are becoming few and far between. I believe Mack Sails in Fl is one of the few remaining lofts that build their own sails, but I could be wrong.

Most lofts, the big guys and the little guys have their sails built off-shore. The Far East, South Africa, and Sri Lanka seem to be the most popular spots. For the most part they all use the same lofts and the sail construction is mostly equivalent. When you buy a name brand sail, like North, Quantum, Ullman, etc. the loft has to pay a franchise fee. Independent lofts don't have the same fee, so the prices tend to be a bit better.

Unless you are racing and need the latest in sail design and technology, you'll probably be best served by a local independent loft. They will come and measure the boat and provide good service.

Over the past couple of years I have replaced my main and Genoa. Since there was no independent loft (that I knew of) near me, I used Great Circle Sails. Brian Hancock has extensive experience and very knowledgeable about building sails. He was easy to work even though he was online. We had one small problem and I found a local loft who took care of it. Brian paid the bill. I also went with Great Circle because he had built several sails for other Sabre 362 owners and lives near Jim Taylor who designed the boat.

One other place to check, is here on SBO. Always good to dance with the one that brought ya.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My nearby loft [90 miles away] came to the boat, verified what was needed for my in-mast furling.
When he returned, he helped install the main sail and gave me confidence.

But best of all he said...

"You just got a great sail and along with it, me and my help, if needed!"

Jim...

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I would vote for using a local loft. Of course my local loft happens to be the Doyle home office.

To me the advantage of the local loft is you can expect a pro is going to ensure you buy the right sail and it works properly for you. Especially if you sail is not in effect a one-design fit. Most cruising boats are going to have some variables in fit - which furler system, does it have a halyard retainer, how is reefing setup? Then your particular use may have variables - do you want a high cut jib so you can see under it, cloth weight, cut...?

When I bought my 135% from Doyle, they gave me two price quote, one for an overseas sail and one for a locally cut sail at about a 50% premium. I ordered the local sail and have never regretted it.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We got ours right here on SBO and are happy. Prices were competitive and it supports our favorite forum.

Ken

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Unless you are standing there when they cut and stitch your sail you really have no idea where they are built. A great line I've heard time and again is "we don't have the capacity for your sail so we will have one of our other lofts build it". For what ever reason sail lofts are able to yank the sticker from a sail that said "made in somewhere else" that is required to get it into the country just before they hand it to you. Be aware. I'm very happy with the sails I've bought from lofts that do the design in North America, who send me all the specs to check allowing me to make mods, and then build them somewhere else. At least they were honest and I had input. Oh I do drive a Ram, an American truck that was built mostly in Mexico and a subsidiary of Fiat in Italy.:)

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I bought a new custom main and genoa from Quantum through a local sail loft four years ago with Chicago boat show discount. The sails were customized in a few ways that I might not have been able to do myself on-line because I was working with an expert who was able to offer ideas based on my style of sailing. I have been very happy with both the sails and the service since then. Easy pick up and drop off for winter storage, cleaning & maintenance. It’s good to have a relationship with a local loft regardless of whether or not you go with a big brand.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had to buy a new sail last year (for the first time). Yes, I could have saved some $$ buying from an on-line site, but I called ,my local North Sails loft in Chicago, they came Out and took measurements, talked me through some options I wanted (full battens, new sail track, etc) and they gave me several options on sail cloth and price.

I was very happy to have someone take measurements and make sure I was buying the right thing.

a buddy of mine bought a new job for his boat from a low-cost on-line site, and he has not had any issues.

so, the answer depends on you.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
The lofts that actually build their sails on site are becoming few and far between. I believe Mack Sails in Fl is one of the few remaining lofts that build their own sails, but I could be wrong.
Here on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, we have a loft that was independent for a long time as West Wind Sails. Some years back they became affiliated with Ullman Sails, but still make their own sails locally. The way it works now is, the owner (Dave Bolyard) comes out to your boat and measures it, then sends the info to Ullman's national office, or whatever. He gets back a set of instructions for his CNC cutting machine, which cuts out the panels, and he sews the sail together. He then brings it out to your boat, makes sure it fits, and will go sailing with you to make sure you are trimming it correctly. He is always around for sail repairs and (free) helpful advice. His sails cost somewhat more than online lofts, but I think the side benefits are well worth it, plus the sails are fast. (I'm a small-time club racer.)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ditto Michael Davis and VanislandGuy...............as I like to discuss and agree on sail material and weight for your sailing conditions (in the SF Bay I install heavier weight sail than an on-line loft might recommend), battens and any other features you need such as lazy jacks, stack pack, boat emblem, racing number, etc. and have the loft install the sail.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If the rep comes to your boat and makes the measurements.... then brings you the finished product and takes you for a sail to help you dial it in.... and will make any corrections or repairs if warranted...… i wouldn't care where they sail was actually made. It's the personal service and consultation that justifies the local loft's premium.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Just to be clear, local sail lofts generally have their sails fabricated elsewhere, albeit you will also find some that fabricate them on-site. That said I bought a spinnaker on-line while I purchased my main and jib from a local loft, in my case UK Halsey.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
These are the range of expected answers, all good.

But for the OP, a critical input is missing: what do you do with your boat?

If you're a local racer and heavily "into it" then local makes sense.

OTOH, if you're a laid back cruiser, who only sails on weekends, you well may have a completely different "need."

Also, no mention of budget.

A Catalina 34 (I have one, too) does not need to be measured. They made 1800 of them. If a sailmaker doesn't have those dimenions, for a mainsail, I'd pick another sail maker.

Go local as noted. Or use sbo or CY's Ullman loft.

Good luck.

You're not the first to ask this, right? :)

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA

A Catalina 34 (I have one, too) does not need to be measured. They made 1800 of them. If a sailmaker doesn't have those dimenions, for a mainsail, I'd pick another sail maker.

Good luck.

Ummm, Stu, I disagree. The rig should be measured for every new sail, even if it’s for the most popular at ever built. I owned an online loft for many years, and we never built a single sail without detailed measurements. If the owner wouldn’t do the measurements and take pictures, we turned the business down.

Why? Over time, owners make changes to the boom, gooseneck tack pin, reefing gear on boom,, outhaul, sail gate, for mainsails. For headsails, they change furlers, track positions, mast rake and more.

The owners did the measurements according to our detailed instructions. We also required photos of everything. Most good online lofts do that. If they don’t, there’s a risk there will be wrinkles at the tack, reefing won’t come down to the gooseneck, etc.

We also required measurement that told us how the rig was tuned, for example: mast rake, static and dynamic mast bend, estimated forestay sag). If the rig was tuned oddly, we talked to the owner and instructed them on how to tune it properly.

Judy B
Retired Sailmaker/Online loft owner

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ummm, Stu, I disagree.
Judy, you're right about the correct way to do it.
However, there are many folks who buy stock mainsails without measuring anything because they haven't changed their rigs at all and want a low cost alternative.
That's what every single one of these "New Sails" posts ever talks about: OPTIONS.
I don't doubt I'd get a superior sail from you and those who do it as you suggest. It's just that others don't and have sails they are "happy" with.
Not a debate, really, just different choices.
===sorry couldn't get rid of the underlines===

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston

Good luck.

I.d be surprised that even a common boat like a Cat 34 should not need measuring Do all examples have exactly the same and original main reefing arrangements. Do they have a common jib furling system, with the same drum height and masthead retainer or not. Do they all have the same anchor roller /windlass acnchor size and type. These are examples of subtle differences in a common design that can affect sail measurements, not considering the particular, unique desires of the owner.