New Sails - advice?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Its about time for new sails on our 84 H34 that we use for cruising on the Chesapeake Bay. Maybe a main and a 130 Genoa for a new roller furlefuller. suggestions?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I recommend you do it!

You don’t say if you have a furling main...

If not, and you have a B&R rig, I would get a fully battened, full roach, flat top main sail! That boat is about the only production boat that could carry that sail (maybe a Freedom with no stays).

I think most Hunters with the B&R rig get a lot of power from the main sail. I had a Hunter 280 with a regular main, and B&R rig. Jib was sort of small-ish.

I put a new main on my O’Day 322 this spring, full-batten from North Sails. Also added a Tides Strong Track and really love the setup.

Good luck with your options.

Cheers,

Greg

Aug 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Austin, TX
I got a new main sail this year from Precision. 2 full, 2 half battens. Very happy with it.

They have a black friday promotion going on right now, just saying :)

Oct 15, 2017
Hunter 36 Deale, MD
We got a new set of sails this season for our B&R rigged 2005 Hunter 36. We got them from Chesapeake Sailmakers in Annapolis and are happy with both the sails and the service. They are Elvstrøm Sails that can be laser cut so that the seams are fused when the material is cut, instead of adding a stitch for the purpose. Came to the boat to custom fit them and made some noticeable improvements over the original North Sail set we got with the boat. Chuck also fit them for better sailing in the lighter winds that are more typical in the middle bay. I would recommend at least talking to them, getting an estimate so you can compare them to other sail makers.

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
Just bought mine from Rolly Tasker.
Their Dacron marblehead from challenger is as rigid (warp and weft) as any other technical sail composite sails.
Garantie for 4 years.
Rolly Tasker Sails USA - Maryland
Annapolis Boat Service
7330 Edgewood Rd
Ste 5 Annapolis, MD 21403

Terry: (1-410) 490 0914
Greg: (1-410) 490 3385

Oct 2, 2012
Fountain Pajot Bahia 46 128 Abroad
Hey, as an independent sailmaker/owner of a small business for over 40 years, buy sails that are made in your wonderful area! Ask where and who actually builds the sails. Support the local economy as best you can!
I owned and lived aboard a Hunter 45 Legend for over 10 years. Currently cruising my FP Bahía 46 catamaran in the Eastern Med.......over 15K miles in 3 years with Dimension/Polyant Cruising Mylar Tri-Radial design primary sails, Challenge Sailcloth/Texlon UV Dacron Reacher, Challenge Sailcloth .75 oz Nylon Asymmetrical Spinnaker with launch Tube.......all rigged on a taller, redesigned new Seldon In Mast Furling Mast held up with Colligo Marine Dux Dyneema shrouds. GO SAILING!

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
New sails will positively improve your boat and increase your joy of sailing. So I vote yes; get new sails. I bought North 3Di sails for my boat last year and I am very pleased with the quality and the improved sailing characteristics of the boat. I bit pricey, but in my book well worth it.

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
Its about time for new sails on our 84 H34 that we use for cruising on the Chesapeake Bay. Maybe a main and a 130 Genoa for a new roller furlefuller. suggestions?
Mike - I own the same exact boat and just ordered new sails. For what it’s worth Doyle Sails in Bronx NY recommended a 135 head sail and a moderate roach, two full and two partial battens main sail. I sail on the Great South Bay (Long Island) He spent a good amount of time with me explaining my options and I decided to go with his recommendation.

Dec 15, 2019
Hunter 49 San Diego
We went with North NP Tour radial laminate sails.they are lighter and thinner than Dacron. Very low stretch material was necessary due the size of the mainsail. We have been out sailing half a dozen times with the new sails. Here are my observations:

-The boat sails much faster and flatter in all conditions.
-The sail are extremely easy to trim. They seem to pop into shape automatically.
-We can now reef or furl the mainsail manually without using the winch.
-We can sail in 15 knots of apparent wind without reefing and still have good control.
-The sails are very quiet. They don’t flog noisily in light conditions.
-The leach on the mainsail doesn’t flutter like the old sail.

Before we got the new sails, we were completely overpowered in any wind over 10 knots. The old mainsail was really stretched out and couldn't be flattened. Also, the sail was a nightmare to furl. Over the span of two years, I was forced to make three trips up the mast to release jammed sail material in order to unfurl. We sometimes elected not to sail if we knew it would be windy. Not ideal for a sailboat. We are very pleased with the new sails. They are a game changer.

Jan 22, 2008
We went with North NP Tour radial laminate sails.they are lighter and thinner than Dacron. Very low stretch material was necessary due the size of the mainsail. We have been out sailing half a dozen times with the new sails. Here are my observations:

-The boat sails much faster and flatter in all conditions.
-The sail are extremely easy to trim. They seem to pop into shape automatically.
-We can now reef or furl the mainsail manually without using the winch.
-We can sail in 15 knots of apparent wind without reefing and still have good control.
-The sails are very quiet. They don’t flog noisily in light conditions.
-The leach on the mainsail doesn’t flutter like the old sail.

Before we got the new sails, we were completely overpowered in any wind over 10 knots. The old mainsail was really stretched out and couldn't be flattened. Also, the sail was a nightmare to furl. Over the span of two years, I was forced to make three trips up the mast to release jammed sail material in order to unfurl. We sometimes elected not to sail if we knew it would be windy. Not ideal for a sailboat. We are very pleased with the new sails. They are a game changer.

Jan 22, 2008
Harken roller reefer installed on Monday and order for sails from North underway
Thanks for advice