New sailor. Which boat??

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mel

Hi. Please help me out. My daughter and I have some (a little) sailing experience and we have taken a one week ASA Keelboat course in Annapolis last year. My daughter is now looking at daysailers. Something simple and a good "starter boat". We have seen the Catalina Capri 22 (new model) and it looks really nice. My question(s) - is this a good starter boat? What kind of keel should we get (we don't really know the differences). Should we look at old model used boats, or is the new model really much different / better? Also - how much should we expect to spend to maintain the boat? How much do replacement sails cost and how often do you need to get them? Other than bottom paint, insurance and dockage fees (we plan to keep the boat in the water - we don't want to trailer the boat), what other major expenses are there?? I assume that maintaining the outboard will not be a major $$$ item. Thanks for any comments. Good sailing!!!

M

Merrythought

My recommendation

is to get a used boat that is capable of overnighting or at least has room for a portable toilet and the ability to have shade in the cockpit. You will be surprised how quickly you'll outgrow a small boat as your sailing skills increase.

F

Funsailing1

New sailor, which boat?

Hello Mel: I have only a Catalina 14.2 myself but have sailed boats from 22 up to 42 through sailing clubs I have belonged to. I've considered the 22 (it's a good looking little boat--much better than the 25'), but only to keep me in the trailerable class. I've often though that when I do slip a boat it would be in the 28' to 34' size range as I'd tend to use it as a "weekend vacation home" and as such want a proper head (not a porta potty) and a proper galley where I can prepare meals, and sit with friends sipping drinks whether under sail or sitting in a slip (I figure if I'm paying for the slip I'd better be able to enjoy it). Granted you don't want to get too big--something that's fairly easy to single hand is on my list, but with 1 crew even a 34' isn't too hard to handle. Of course with longer length also comes increased expense (slip, cleaning, etc.) so clearly it has to be balanced out--that's why I continue renting boats since I can't use it enough, at this time, to justify "slipping my own." Good luck to you and your daughter. Bob--Funsailing1@aol.com

R

R Kolb

C22 is a great boat

You'll love the C22. If you are going to keep it in the water then a wing keel is a good idea as it will require no maintenance. You should get a trailer because a C22 without one will be hard to sell if you ever decide to get a bigger boat. I would suggest you buy a used model. New boats depreciate really fast and a new C22 is not much different than a used one. Plus the previous owner will likely have made improvements and that will spare you the expense. C22s do not cost much to maintain. Most of your $ will go into buying new things for it!

B

Bob

Wing Keel for in the water?

Dear R Kolb: You have me curious. Why would you prefer a wing keel for a slipped boat? I'd think you'd have a wing keel for trailering (to keep the center of gravity lower) and would have straight keel for a slipped boat. Do wing keels point as high as a conventional keel? I don't really know--it has just been my impression that wing keels don't point as high. I'd be interested in your and other's opinion. Since I replied to Mel my interest in a 22' has been renewed--but definately as a trailerable rather than a slipped boat.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Sasafrass
Draft

A fin keel will point better than a wing however, Mel is on the Chesapeake which has a lot of thin water. While this isn't a problem on the west coast, it can become an issue if one intents to explore the Cheaspeake, its rivers and creeks.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Like Phil said

My C22 is a fixed fin keel and I am very happy with it. It points well and of course there is no keel maintenance. On the other hand it is a bit tougher to launch and retieve. I think the wing would be a good compromise and also is good in shallower waters. My current "dream boat" is the Seaward 26RK which has a vertically-retracting keel. Six feet of keel when down but floats in 15 inches of water with the keel up! Now if the Admiral would only give me the OK...........

Aug 6, 2005
- - Oxford, MD
New C22 model vs old model?

Since initiating this thread, I have discovered a place called BaySail in Havre de Grace, MD. They actually rent C22's (old models, though). Does anyone have any comments - good or bad - about BaySail?? Thanks for all your input so far.

Aug 6, 2005
- - Oxford, MD
New VS Old

The pre-1986 C22s had a slide out galley and also had the gas tank storage in a lazarette that was open to the cabin. I don't care for either of those. From 1986 until more recently the galley is more built in and the gas tank lazarette is next to the transom and is not open to the cabin. Sometime in the 1990s the galley went altogether and the C22 (Mark II) was reconfigured to be more of a daysailer with a more open interior. They are all fine boats.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
I posted that

Strange behavior by the web site. The previous post was actually by me, not Frostmand.

Status
Not open for further replies.