**New sailor** What are these in deck blocks/pulleys for?

Iggi

Sep 25, 2019
McGregor Venture21 Houston
I am in the process of reatoring my first sailboat: a 1974 Venture 21

I have replaced all the bulkheads and stringers, installed new running rigging and am about ready to splash the boat! But, i am scratching my head on these pulleys/blocks installed in the cockpit gunnels.

I originally thought that they might be for running spinnaker sheets from the aft then below the gunnels to the winches but this area is littered with protruding hardware which obstructs the path between the pulleys.

What are they for???

See attached

Any into would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I had owned two different Mac V21 sailboats in the past. Neither had those blocks. No help, ,...sorry.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@Iggi ,

Good morning, and welcome to SBO! The Venture 21 was the first monohull built by MacGregor, which was designed for inshore class racing. The design was originally outfitted to fly a asymmetrical spinnaker, which, from what I can see in the design prints, had lines running to the cockpit. Now, as for those inboard blocks (which are in really weird spots), I would assume that's what those are for. The sheet (or "guy") would be run into the aft-most block, run inside the gunnel (which, again, is weird), and exit again through the block next to the jib sheet. If this is the use for these inboard pulleys, then I'm not entirely sure it gives the crew an advantage, other than being able to trim the spinnaker from further forward in the cockpit. The guy running aft would need to be of an insane length, at least twice that of the boat, in order to run that course through those pulleys. Other than the spinnaker system, I can't really think of anything else. Hope this helps!

Iggi

Sep 25, 2019
Simon,
Thanks for the info!

Another thing to note is that just aft of the aft-most pulley is a cleat (the style that pinches the line when it is pulled from stern to bow ) which makes me believe the line was intended to run from front to back Which also makes little sense. I have highlighted the “cleat” in this attached picture

Attachments

Iggi

Sep 25, 2019
Simon,

Could you share where you located the design prints? I would love to have a copy!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Iggi, if you have two of the clam cleats on both port and starboard, they could be used to hold the tiller in place while the skipper is doing something forward. Basically an auto pilot with no control other than keeping the rudder in the same spot. If you only have one then BTHOFM! (beats the heck out of me)

Iggi

Sep 25, 2019
Brian,

I do have one on each gunnel. That sounds like a reasonable use for them although access is inconvenient being so far aft

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Iggi. When you are sitting holding the tiller they should be just about at arms length. You will leave on in place and adjust the one nearest to where you are sitting. Then move to the other side and do the same. The idea is you will be sitting on the wind side of the boat and the control will hold the tiller from going to leeward. As Brian suggested. It is a temporary hold. Not a steering tool.

Iggi

Sep 25, 2019
This may be an elementary question but How does it attach to the tiller? Just a single wrap around, or is there some sort of knot recommended for this purpose?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That's a lot of mechanics for a tiller tamer.
I like Simon's explanation.
I searched a bunch of V21 sales galleries and could not find a similar installation.
Here's a site that sells parts by boat type (the V21 specifically),
Venture 21
Maybe contacting them will lead to more concrete information.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
tiller tamer
This may be an elementary question but How does it attach to the tiller? Just a single wrap around, or is there some sort of knot recommended for this purpose?
1569439027407.png

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Tiller tamer works, or a clove hitch over the tiller and the two ends to the clam cleats.

Iggi

Sep 25, 2019
Thanks for all the quick responses i will see about running the guys through the gunnels

It appears the path will be obstructed by the protruding hardware but i will check it this evening to make sure

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Maybe the pulleys are for spinnaker, but the deck blocks for something else. Even unrelated to sailing, like deploying a Bimini.

Jan 19, 2010
I can't help but think that those extra blocks in the gunwale would make a great place for water to leak into your boat.

I'm guessing it is a P.O. mod.

Iggi

Sep 25, 2019
I agree about the water leak! I will most likely remove them and glass over them if they prove to be non functional or non beneficial with a spinnaker

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Those wouldn’t be for running back stays would they? Used to have to deal with those on inland racing scows, but those booms were very long and protruded well past the stern.