New sailor, old catalina

Mar 31, 2014
Catalina Catalina22 Dillon
Hi all. First post. I have a catalina 22 that's been sitting in someone's yard for 17 years. I've cleaned, sanded, and painted. I've recovered cushions. She's starting to look pretty good. Wife and I took sailing lessons at key west and I'd like to get this boat in the water. I need a boom ,main sheet ,traveler bar and car and maybe some other miscellaneous pieces parts. Anybody parting out an ole catalina 22? Anybody know where I can get cheap used parts? Catalina direct is my final possibility but adding all that up is pretty expensive.

JBS

Mar 22, 2014
Cataina 400 mk II Booker Bay
Hi all. First post. I have a catalina 22 that's been sitting in someone's yard for 17 years. I've cleaned, sanded, and painted. I've recovered cushions. She's starting to look pretty good. Wife and I took sailing lessons at key west and I'd like to get this boat in the water. I need a boom ,main sheet ,traveler bar and car and maybe some other miscellaneous pieces parts. Anybody parting out an ole catalina 22? Anybody know where I can get cheap used parts? Catalina direct is my final possibility but adding all that up is pretty expensive.
Do you have progress poctures to share.? Renovations are always interesting ..

J

Mar 31, 2014
Nah, I didn't know how far I'd get but the more I did ,the more I wanted to keep going. Sailing in the Keyes got me hooked. Just put an electric trolling motor on to get me away from the dock. A minn Kota 50lb thrust. Anyone have any experience with that type motor and a catalina. 22? ,not looking for opinions. First hand please. Still need a boom. I'm going to see if she floats this week.

Mar 31, 2014
Yea, I saw that one. It doesn't look like the same gooseneck setup or shape of the catalina boom.(more round?). I dunno I've got nothing to compare it to. I'm afraid ill get it shipped here the have to try to figure out how to attach it to the boom if it doesn't fit a catalina gooseneck. ( which is what I'm figuring on buying at Catalina direct). Love to find a ... Just put it on.. Sitch. Next question.. Anyone know the simplest way to recharge a deep cycle trolling motor battery with solar? I think I'll sail once a week and hoped hooking a solar panel the other six days in Colorado sun would do it? Size and brand?

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
Yea, I saw that one. It doesn't look like the same gooseneck setup or shape of the catalina boom.(more round?). I dunno I've got nothing to compare it to. I'm afraid ill get it shipped here the have to try to figure out how to attach it to the boom if it doesn't fit a catalina gooseneck. ( which is what I'm figuring on buying at Catalina direct). Love to find a ... Just put it on.. Sitch. Next question.. Anyone know the simplest way to recharge a deep cycle trolling motor battery with solar? I think I'll sail once a week and hoped hooking a solar panel the other six days in Colorado sun would do it? Size and brand?
I think depending on how low you run it down, you'd be better off lugging it home for a good charge. The solar panel will probably only keep it topped off.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Without going down the path of selecting a panel and a separate charge controller from a place like solar blvd, (www.solarblvd.com) I have found that this sunforce kit with panel and (cheap) charge controller will do what you are asking:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-5003...=UTF8&qid=1396463977&sr=1-4&keywords=sunforce

Consider that the inexpensive easy way to get started with solar. The included charge controller is really junk compared with what you can buy at a real solar outlet in a PWM or MPPT controller, but the included controller still works as designed.

You can get more elaborate for sure, but as a basic easy-install solution to your query, it will work

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I have the panel kit Phil suggests. It works great at keeping my 200ah of batteries on my 27 charged up for weekending.

Last time our boat was on shore power was half way through a week long trip to top them off. It has been installed for over a year and still going strong.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I kept a leaky old Chris Craft in the water for several years. The same basic panel and controller kept my house bank up, despite a bilge pump that ran every 20 minutes.....

I have moved up in performance with my new boat, solar wise, but have had real good luck with that kit.

Mar 31, 2014
Thanks for solar info. I ordered one today. Now if only I had a boom! Looks like Catalina direct is my only option.

Mar 31, 2014
If anyone living in Colorado who owns a Catalina 22 is about to step their mast I'd sure like to help. I've never done it before and would like to go through the process with someone experienced.

Mar 31, 2014
Great idea, and my wife and I love texoma but the cost and time would be a bit prohibitive. Any chance I could get you to put the main sheet and boom vang in a box and ship em? Email me at pilotmikecolo@yahoo.com. I'll pay reasonable price plus shipping. I'm bringing boat to a yard to have it rigged and get a list of what it needs so there maybe lots of stuff I could use. I'll let you know.

Cal

Mar 22, 2014
Aquarius 23 Ft myers
I have both a mast and boom for the C22. Also the poptop that I would let go cheap. Contact # 501-977-7437. Am presently at Ark residence off I40 near Morrilton (west of Little Rock)

Jan 20, 2014
catalina 25 dania,fl
I have a 22 in my yard with good boom and sails and many other parts if your still looking .I'm in ft. lauderdale

Mar 31, 2014
I finally broke down and bought one from Catalina direct. Along with some missing hardware. Boat is Painted varnished and reupholstered. It's floating in a slip on a mountain lake . My wife and I have sailed her every week since May 1. Thanks anyway.