New sailor, new boat, new concerns

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
The mast has a awful lot of prebend in it if you ask me. Looks like a racing boat tune. I can see why you would have trouble getting the forestay on with it rigged like that. I would definitely ease the side stays for the rig tune, as well as easing them when lowering the mast.

The side stay turnbuckles should not be bent. You can probably get away with it on a boat of this size, but it would make me a little nervous about stress cracks over time. You've got to watch the side stay turnbuckles as the slack comes out of them when you are raising the mast. They get bound up sometimes and you may need to stop and straighten them out before you continuing to raise the mast. Otherwise they get bent. Also, next time you have the mast down, put on a pair of leather gloves and run you hand up the entire length of the stays and give the ends where they are swaged a good look. There should be no frayed strands sticking out. If there is, Id replace. These boats are getting some years and inspecting the rig is a common thing people over look.

My 23.5 did not have the permanent stabilizer bars for stepping the mast like yours does. So Im not sure if its normal for them to have a bent threaded rod where it attaches or not. Im sure Dave can chime in.

I would definitely get the rigging squared away. A demasting is a serious thing, weather stepping the mast or sailing. All of your rigging needs can be had at the online store at this website. When I bought new side and forestays from the store here they were a perfect fit and they just need model type and year, no measuring, or they will ask for more info, like mast manufacturer.

Sounds like your having fun. They are good boats.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2024
Macgregor / Hunter M25 /Hunter 240 Okanagan Lake
Thank you so much for your reply. Everything does seem to be quite tight. I referred to the bend in the mast as rake but was quickly educated. I too thought it was a bit much but was told best to not tune it out as the sail may be fit to it.

I am hooked, to a fault lol
Thanks again

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
When I bent my lower shroud terminal (like yours are) raising my mast, I chose to replace it before using. I just don't trust a bent threaded rod not to bend further (or even worse fracture and break) under load. And the bend tightened things up enough that it was very difficult to get my forestay attached - had to loosen the turnbuckle to where the terminals were just threaded through the body. Fortunately, Defender Marine was only a couple of miles away (I was on a trailer sail to Long Island Sound), and they had replacement terminals in stock.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133 Sweet P