New sailor, new boat, new concerns

Jun 10, 2024
Macgregor / Hunter M25 /Hunter 240 Okanagan Lake
We took our Hunter 240 out for the first time. When we first bought the boat, it was on the water. The seller told us he has never had it on the trailer nor has he ever unstepped the Mast. Ok, away we go. Sails down, engine on we travelled roughly 1.5 hours to the nearest ramp. We did not fill the ballast tank. Fast forward, we’re on the trailer wondering how to put the mast down lol. With thanks to a downloaded manual, we used the front halyard to the lower the mast. (LOL)

Fast forward again, hull repair complete. We are now back on the trailer needing to step the mast. We attached the main sheets, pole and front halyard but quickly learned we cannot pull the front halyard to raise the mast. Realizing we unstepped it incorrectly. It didn’t take long to see how it actually works. Up goes the mast pulling on the sheets. Impressive setup. Much smoother operation than stepping the mast on our Mac25.

Once the mast was vertical, the forestay was roughly 12 to 14 inches away from attaching. I thought to myself, there is no way I can pull this down. Furthermore, I thought there is no way I would want to put that much pressure on it if I could pull it down. I loosened the turnbuckle significantly until I was able to put enough pressure on the forestay to attach it. It was still a lot of pressure. I had to place my foot on the pole and push it down closer to the deck to attach it. I have not gained any experience wrt rake in the mast. I’m pretty sure I increased the amount of rake lol.

Question: After doing some reading on the B&R rig, I will have to step the mast again and then use the main halyard to measure the mast rake etc. I’m not fully understanding how much tension/distance is required to put on the forestay? If it lets go, yikes............

I’d sure appreciate some advice.