new sailor, again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2006
- - birmingham, al.
I'm the proud owner of a Catalina 22--New to me but a vintage boat--Tried to raise the mast last Sunday! Wow what a failure!! Any tips are greatly appreciated. Wondering about sing bleach on the original sails?? Good idea or not?? Poly Maxed the hull, and it looks almost white again--going to the second stage next weekend, and the the lustre stage the third-- Bottom paint looks poor, buit the hull is sound--Is it a terrible adventure to paint it yourself?? What would it cost to have it done?? Any hints are really appreciated--and I promise to do the same for another, some other day!!! Thanking you in advance--- Chuck

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
new sailor

First leave upper and aft lower stays attached leave back-stay attached as well. You don't say if you have a "mast up"? Or what if anything you have to hold the mast while you attach it to the tabernacle. If this is something you don't have, its something you can make yourself or buy one. I've attached a web page of a fellow fairly close to you where you can buy one.(The website has a pretty good set of pictures showing the mast go up). There are also folks (me one of them) that use a gin pole to aid in raising the mast. Some others use a "A frame", It will be your choice to use one or not . Some just grab it then walk it up. Confused yet? Its not nearly as bad as it sounds. Once the mast is up, attach the for-stay first, then the forward lowers. You will want to acquire three quick pins if your going to trailer sail your boat. The website has a pretty good set of pictures showing the mast go up. DO NOT Bleach the sails, very bad idea. You can have them cleaned by a company called Sail-Care. You can also use Oxyclean to get them pretty clean yourself in the bathtub or small pool outside. Painting the bottom. Wow! your going to get plenty of comments on this one. This all depends one what bottom paint it has on it now, and of course what you want. A fast racing bottom? A cruising bottom? If it has ablative paint you can clean it then fair the bad areas if there are any, then put on a coat of paint. If it has VC-17, again clean it then apply a new coat of paint. You CANNOT put a hard bottom paint over ablative paint, neither can you apply VC-17 over ablative, to do either of these you MUST remove the ablative paint and start new. Take a look at the Interlux web page, lots of info there. There was a fellow in the Chattanooga area who was doing bottom's on C22's last year for 600.00. Don't know his name or where his shop is though. Suggest you contact Fleet 95 for help if this is something you decide to do. Doing it yourself? Again depends on what kind of bottom you want and how much work your willing to put into it. Better bottom faster bottom more $$$ Wow long winded on this one, hope some of helps you, good luck and welcome.

P

Peter

Raising Mast

I made my self a mast crutch (I guess thats what you could call it) It fits into the gudgens where the rudder goes and extends to about nine feet I connect the mast to the mast mount and stand on the cabin roof walk the mast up its kind of heavy at first but gets lighter as it goes up then I connect the forstay and then the 2 front shrouds I found it to be easier to do if the bow of the boat is very very slightly lower this makes the mast stand up and its not so spooky holding on to the forstay as you walk forward. If you have someone to help you its very easy. If you do it by your self make sure everything is free and not going to get fouled pay special attention to the back stay triangle if it goes up with a little kink you will have to let the mast down again. Because you will not be able to raise the mast all the way.

Oct 7, 2004
- - Melvern Lake - Kansas
Cost for Bottom Paint

$1,000 for the prep and 3 coats of ablative. Once every 2-3 years.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
cost for bottom paint

1000 bucks for a cat 22. No way... Buy a gallon of bottom paint for under $100, prep the hull yourself and the roll the paint on. Since the boat's on a trailor you won't have to pay for haul out, but you'll have to jack the boat up to paint under the trailer support pads. Read the directions on the paint can and go for it.

Oct 7, 2004
- - Melvern Lake - Kansas
No boat lift

There is no lift at my marina, plus my trailer has long 8 foot bunks. Therefore I can't really paint around it. I haul it to a yard with a lift and they do it.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Catalina National Sailing Associaiton

Chuck: I recommend that you join up with the Catalina National Sailing Association and buy a copy of our Technical Manual CD. And you can get quite a bit of info from them on the net through www.catalina22.org Based on what I found in the technical manual, I made an A-frame and crutch about 8 years ago which really helps raise the mast for my C22. Dick

W

watercolors

Simplest mast raising

A mast crutch is a must, without it, will take 3 men to raise a mast on a 22 foot boat. Go to local hardware, purchase 100 foot cheap rope. With base of mast attached in cabin unit and top of mast supported by the mast crutch, attached end of 100 foot rope to bottom end of forestay. With a second 3/4 person, wife, girlfriend or teenage child of at least 100 lbs., stretch rope out overtop of tow vehicle into the parking lot as far as the rope will go. You straddle the cockpit benches and lift the back end of the mast over your head and walk forward until you reach the back of the cabin. At this point the mast should be at an angle of 20 to 30 degrees, transferring a lot of it’s weight to the cabin top. The very top of the mast is now very light. How light? Try this. With the mast attached to the cabin top and the mast setting in a crutch at the stern, stand on the cabin top and try to lift the mast at this point, two men can not lift it. What 300, 400, 500 lbs. Stand in the middle of the cockpit and lift, pretty heavy but at the back of the cockpit the lift is only 40 to 50 lbs. and as you walk forward the mast does not get real heavy. At this angle, one person standing on the cabin top can hold the mast where before it weighed 300 to 500 lbs. Wonder what the top of the mast now weighs? It is so light now a 3/4 person can now pull it all the way up, standing 100 feet in front of the boat. 100 feet in front of the boat has a good leverage angle for pulling the top of the mast. As this 3/4 person raises the mast you can check for lines being hooked in the cockpit, 2 out of 3 mast raising this will happen. With the 3/4 person holding the mast up from 100 feet away in the parking lot, attach the two front baby stays. These two front stays will hold the mast until you attach the forestay. Reverse everything for lowering. A Mast crutch which is needed for all other way of raising, 100 foot rope and 1 3/4 people. Simplest method known! Done this; plugged cockpit scuppers, added 5 gallon clean water, dumped in one med bottle Windex and box of baking soda. Used brush on cockpit benches, rinsed with two changes of clean water. Clean feet, clean sail, clean cockpit, had to find place to hang sail to dry.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
I prefer 3 people

I have a mast crutch, use the main sheet for leverage, etc. Still I think rasing the mast is a 3 person job. The issue changes from the weight of rasing it to one of making sure the mast doesn't go sideways during the raise. I feel that two people actually having hands-on the mast with one pulling the sheet is best. I've done it with 2 but 3 people is much better and safer.

B

Barry Broyles

several ways to raise the mast

Chuck There are several ways to raise the mast on a Catalina 22, starting with several variations of the method described by Watercolors. Most of the variations employ using some kind of mechanical advantage such as using your sheet winches, trailer winch, block and tackle system (Main sheet), and or gin pole or “A” frame. If done properly, some of these methods can easily be done single handed. I have used the trailer winch and sheet winch methods and they both worked well. For the sheet winch method I attach a block to the bow fitting, run an end of my jib sheet through the port jib block then through the block I attached to the bow fitting and tie it off to the snap shackle at the end of the jib halyard. Cleat the jib halyard to the bottom of the mast so that when the mast is fully raised the snap shackle will be a foot or two off the deck, this allows you to pull the mast all the way up. Next move the mast into proper position with the base properly placed into the tabernackle and the upper end in the mast crutch. Next pull the jib sheet tight and take two or three wraps around the jib winch and stand up on the cockpit seats straddling the cockpit itself and you are ready to start. Now if you have the help you can have a helper pull on the rope while you lift the mast and pass it off to another helper on the cabin top who can push the mast all the way up. If you have one helper you can have them pull on the rope while you raise the mast, when you get it up as far as you can have your helper hold the rope tight or cleat it to keep the mast part way up so you can get up on the cabin top and finish the job. You can also do this yourself by holding the rope in one hand while you push the mast up as far as you can from the cockpit tighten up the rope and let the mast go cleat the rope, taking the loose end of the rope with you, get up on the cabin top and push the mast all the way up. Once the mast is all the way up make sure the rope is pulled tight than you can let the mast go and cleat the rope and than hook up the forward lowers and the forestay. This operation can be made much easier by using a gin pole or “A” frame which will allow you to raise the mast using the winch instead of pushing it up or you can use the trailer winch or main sheet attached to the jib halyard to pull it up. If you look in the archives there are several good ideas on how to build gin poles, “A” frames, trailer winch cable guides, etc.

Jul 25, 2006
- - Blyth, Northumberland UK
I can do it single handed

You might want to check out my website., I can raise and lower my mast single handed. See link below.

Status
Not open for further replies.