New sail track opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
I had a new sail made with the luff about 6" shorter so I can raise the boom 6" and realized that I'll need to make a new opening for the slugs in the mast.
I'm thinking of using a diamond blade on my four inch cut off saw and maybe a dremel to clean it up, another thought was a Roto Zip tool but that tool scares me cause you can loose control real easy
any suggestions, thoughts

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Take a look at the Fein Multimaster tool. They make lots of different attachments and I'm sure you'll find one that will do the trick. Because the cutting blade vibrates and doesn't spin, it would be easy to clamp a cutting guide to your mast to make a nice straight cut. They are easy to use and not as intimidating as the roto zip tool. There are other manufacturers that make a similar product, but the Multimaster was the original. It's a great tool but a bit pricy. I have a Multimaster and would be happy to give you a hand if you need it.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Ted, thanks for the reply and I will take you up on that offer to help cause the Multimaster has been on my wish list but after springing for a new sail I gotta save and in this economy its been tough.
I'll be in touch I have your # in the SBCC year book

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Robert, Happy to help. Best bet, call my cell anytime. It's in the yearbook. Ted

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Rad,

Rule number 1) If it will be there for a time it's worth taking the time

2) Spend, days, weeks, making a jig that can hold your tool and slide it in a VERY controlled manner.

3) Make many cuts if you have to. Don't try to hog it all out at once.

4) Don't start the night before a cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.