New Running Rigging for a C310

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
All, I have decided to replace the lines on my boat. The owners manual only describes the lines as halyards are 'low stretch' and other lines are 'Dacron'. I also do no trust the lengths that are in the manual, other sailors have mentioned this. I remember on this forum a couple of years ago, someone posted a spreadsheet of sizes, lengths and type of all the lines they replaced, but when I searched the archives I could not find it.
I understand there are many types of lines (and prices), for various usages, and I would like to pick the brains of others that have already done this. We are mostly cruisers, but I do try to get out on Wednesday night racing as often as I can. Racing is not the priority. I definitely would like the most 'cost effective' option that will give me the best bang for the buck.
I have some pricing from SBO, it is all Samson LS3, but I am unsure if this is the best option. Also, I live in Canada, shipping and customs can sometimes add a huge amount of $$ to the final bill. Binnacle in Halifax (I have used them before) has a sale until March 26th, if I can come up with a list of my needs, I will give them a shot.

Currently I tie my headsail sheets with bowline knots, this will be a chance to upgrade this. SBO offers Wichard snap shackles standard bail 2477 as an option, would you recommend these?

Also, colours! I would like to know what others have done when ordering halyards and sheets etc. This is an opportunity to add a little bling and practicality to the cockpit.

Thanks for your time, I'm sure there will be a few varying opinions, all opinions welcomed!
Cheers
dj

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
SBO also has a "running rigging calculator" available which I've found to be accurate and more likely to be a little long than too short.
Running Rigging Calculator
I don't like hardware on sheets, just another piece of shrapnel for a klutz like me. I recently managed to break my deck light with a 150 genny. Traditionally Catalina's always came with Sta Set, which is long lasting but has more stretch than some newer lines. I used XLS for awhile but am currently using MLX3 which has less stretch. Used to use 10 MM but they recently adjusted sizes for conversion from metric and it seems a little "fat" for my halyards so I've shifted to 8 MM.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
The video below has relevant line selection for a similar size boat. I would strongly advise against using shackles on jib sheets, IMHO its just an un-useful and expensive means to beat up the mast and potentially someone's head.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
All, I have decided to replace the lines on my boat. The owners manual only describes the lines as halyards are 'low stretch' and other lines are 'Dacron'. I also do no trust the lengths that are in the manual, other sailors have mentioned this. I remember on this forum a couple of years ago, someone posted a spreadsheet of sizes, lengths and type of all the lines they replaced, but when I searched the archives I could not find it.
I understand there are many types of lines (and prices), for various usages, and I would like to pick the brains of others that have already done this. We are mostly cruisers, but I do try to get out on Wednesday night racing as often as I can. Racing is not the priority. I definitely would like the most 'cost effective' option that will give me the best bang for the buck.
I have some pricing from SBO, it is all Samson LS3, but I am unsure if this is the best option. Also, I live in Canada, shipping and customs can sometimes add a huge amount of $$ to the final bill. Binnacle in Halifax (I have used them before) has a sale until March 26th, if I can come up with a list of my needs, I will give them a shot.

Currently I tie my headsail sheets with bowline knots, this will be a chance to upgrade this. SBO offers Wichard snap shackles standard bail 2477 as an option, would you recommend these?

Also, colours! I would like to know what others have done when ordering halyards and sheets etc. This is an opportunity to add a little bling and practicality to the cockpit.

Thanks for your time, I'm sure there will be a few varying opinions, all opinions welcomed!
Cheers
dj
Eye splice in the sheets and dyneema soft shackles. The Binnacle has very competitive pricing, free shipping (over a $100 Cdn) and only GST. I like Samson XLS3.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
On a bigger boat, it is better to avoid shackles for headsails for a couple of reasons, they hurt when they hit you in the head and they weigh down the clew which adversely affects light air sailing.

My preference is to have one long sheet (3x boat length) attached to the clew with a cow hitch, aka luggage tag. This eliminates a knot to catch on the rigging, has no knot to hit you in the head (slightly less painful than a shackle) and reduces the weight on the clew.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
On a bigger boat, it is better to avoid shackles for headsails for a couple of reasons, they hurt when they hit you in the head and they weigh down the clew which adversely affects light air sailing.

My preference is to have one long sheet (3x boat length) attached to the clew with a cow hitch, aka luggage tag. This eliminates a knot to catch on the rigging, has no knot to hit you in the head (slightly less painful than a shackle) and reduces the weight on the clew.
Different opinions but I too like cow hitch. Only one knot not two.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
All, thanks for the advice, I ordered the jib sheet in one piece, and will use the cow hitch. Binnacle had a 20% off sale, free shipping, looking forward to Friday!
Cheers
dj

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
You are right to not trust the Catalina figures. Two years ago, I replaced all the running rigging on my new to me Catalina 315, using the lengths given in the manual. Ordered all the line, and found that at least half of them were waaaay too short. Ouch $$$. I called Catalina customer service to let them know that their manual is an EXPENSIVE work of fiction. The person I talked to got in touch with engineering to get the proper lengths for my boat. I didn't trust those either. I took actual measurements and came up with the proper lengths and completed my project. Had I used the lengths they supplied, I would have been burning another pile of money. Shame on Catalina.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I took actual measurements and came up with the proper lengths and completed my project.
:clap:
It's not about trust of me. It is that I want to know I have a reasonable length, and that I am not just coming to the "Bitter End" and having to tie a knot in it. If I get a couple of extra feet, I can always replace the fender lines.
1680104886031.png

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I like SBO estimates being too long is fine and I've order several lines from them. You can also find name brand lines on Amazon too, many times they are set lengths, so again having extra is always better. I color coded my lines, port side traveler is solid red, starboard is solid green. Solid blue for Vang, black for main sheet, jib halyard white with red chaser since it runs port, main halyard is white with green tracer since it is starboard, spin halyard is white with blue tracer. I still need to replace outhaul and topping lift, and main reefing, I have those lines on the boat but haven't replaced them and forgot my color scheme lol.

Last edited: