New rule NO soles on my sole

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
I feel so bad for my mom now. So im cleaning the new to me Ranger 33 and im half way through the boat and my boys come in from fishing out side . they walk right on the clean floor and what do you know shoe prints everywhere . Probably didn't help spilling water in the cock pit and letting them walk all in it wile they were fishing. Well what do you do ? Just clean it again and make a rule No soles on the sole.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Is a boat for fun or to keep perfect? I chose fun and let the kids run.
And if they had been barefoot you would still have barefoot marks!

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
No Peggie but I will be taking my shoes off next time I go over her house. She just had tile installed throughout the house .

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When folks come aboard I want them to enjoy themselves. Beyond the really apparent things like street shoes and heels; whatever. Hey, our boat is even waterproof, so we don't get upset if they track water through it on the way to the shower after snorkeling. It only takes a few seconds to mop up.
To each his or her own, I guess.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
And if they had been barefoot you would still have barefoot marks!
Too right. Drives me nuts. I take my shoes off and the boat still gets filthy.

The only way to get her clean is give her a scrubbin' every morning, and don't go ashore for three days.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've always found wet or sweaty feet to be one of the slipperiest things around. How will I feel if someone--even a child--falls down and gets hurt? I'd rather everyone tracked dirt on board and my gelcoat suffered the insults. The risk of injury isn't worth anything. Certainly cleanliness is at the very bottom of the list.

Mats and carpet. I have varnished soles. And they are all covered with removable carpets, which are vacuumed occasionally and removed for dockside cleaning occasionally. The cockpit sole is a grating which allows a lot to fall through, and that is hosed out every month or so.

Carpet is also easier on the feet, warmer in the winter, and saves wear and dings. Dirt-colored is best.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Bought some mats awhile ago at IKEA (no assembly required) for about $.69 ea. fuzzy on top nonskid bottom. With one on the cockpit sole and on at the base of the companionway ladder, the majority of the crud stays out of the cabin. A throw rug on the dock helps too.
Kids are kids, they attract dirt. Let them have their fun and teach them to do a little houskeeping.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I just advise guests not to step on my (expensive) cushions and the conversation will politely evolve into proper footwear. That said, I would never buy Bottomsider cushions or anything like them. they came with the boat, They are not rugged enough for even a casual incident.

Jun 23, 2015
Hunter H34 Deltaville
Just be sure not to get a mat that's made of small hair like stuff. Had one on my engine cover that shed all over the boat! Worse than any pet.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I have always had a hard time keeping the cockpit floor clean on my boat, even when I lived in a marina and had unlimited water supply. Living on anchor I try to keep it clean by leaving my 'shoes' in the dinghy but it still gets trashed albeit a little slower. I just try to find a good time to scrub it down with saltwater and joy/bleach/baking soda mix once in a while just before I leave or when I will be down below for a while so it can dry good.

I have thought about getting a mat, even as soon as yesterday, so maybe that is the next step.

Aug 13, 2012
Oday 222 Port Austin, Michigan
I have always had a hard time keeping the cockpit floor clean on my boat, even when I lived in a marina and had unlimited water supply. Living on anchor I try to keep it clean by leaving my 'shoes' in the dinghy but it still gets trashed albeit a little slower. I just try to find a good time to scrub it down with saltwater and joy/bleach/baking soda mix once in a while just before I leave or when I will be down below for a while so it can dry good.

I have thought about getting a mat, even as soon as yesterday, so maybe that is the next step.
I had some damage to the cockpit floor of my O'day 222 when I purchased it 8 years ago. To cover it up I bought some of the plastic imitation teak for the floor. The product is thick and the pattern is all the way through. It is wearing very well. It is easy to clean with just a hose off and best of all it is as safer if not safer than the non skid flooring. It is a consideration for sole replacement since it never needs refinishing.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Boats just attract dirt. I gave her a bath Saturday night while Cindy motored us to our cove. Woke up Sunday morning and there were cobwebs and dead bugs everywhere. Plus there were all these blue green drops of some sort of liquid all over the top of the boat. Looked like someone flicked 2 stroke gas oil mix all over the boat. I knew I better get it off before it dried as something told me it was not going to come off very easily if I didn't. So I scrubbed the whole boat again. Still have no clue what the blue green dots were from. If it was blue green algae from the water we are in trouble!
As far as our cockpit sole goes, I have a nifty collapsible bucket that I break out and wash it down when it gets to the point that I think it needs it. The advantage of self draining cockpits. Still looking for the perfect rug to put down in the cabin to wipe our feet on.

Sam

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG

DriDeck is a great solution to keeping a cockpit neat and safe.