New Restrictions for Boaters in the Exumas

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I just received this information from the Bahamas Trust:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Been in effect since 13Feb. No fishing or anchoring. Ecosystem must be getting badly damaged to warrant such an action.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Maybe they're expecting the sea grass to spread into the clear sand bottom areas once people stop dropping anchors there. Set moorings won't tear up the bottom the way transient's anchors do. Is sea grass better for fish habitat than sand?
France is apparently putting lots of restrictions on anchoring in certain areas as well, in order to protect fish.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
... Set moorings won't tear up the bottom the way transient's anchors do. Is sea grass better for fish habitat than sand?...
As I understand it mooring chains scrape across the bottom in circles like anchors do. So while they are better for the sea grass they aren't harmless. The most sea grass friendly option was the bungie chord and I'm not sure how that worked out in the real world. Or moorings placed where there is no sea grass.
Efforts to restore sea grass beds in the Peconic Bay Estuary have had limited success. I haven't heard of any examples of sea grass beds naturally regenerating but I'm certainly not well versed on the subject.
I think it's pretty well accepted that sea grass is important habitat for fledging marine life of many varieties.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Mooring chains will tear up the boat and prevent sea grass from growing, however, they do so in a very defined spot that probably has a smaller diameter than anchored boat's chain. If you have every tried to set an anchor in a very defined spot where the bottom has already been torn up, you'll find it easier said than done.

Sea grass is a major source of food for manatees and young turtles as well as other small marine critters.