new rags make a differance

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steven f.

I recently bought and finally put on a brand new mainsail (the winter down here in FLA has been COLD, for us anyway). I've been using, I'm assuming, the original main. She's been a decient sail but my performance has been less than great. I've called the old main a potato sack and my friends called my boat a party boat, comfortable but not very fast. The new sail is a fully battened, loose footed with a dutchman system. Man, what a differance, she points great and will move out of her own way now. I'm sure most of you 33 owners already know this stuff. For those of you still using 20 year old sails it really makes a differance in this old boats handling and performance. As far as the $$$$ is concerned, I no longer have any...

S

Sam Lust

Great News!

For the three seasons I've had my 33 I've used the old Johnsons (JSI) that undoubtedly were original equipment in 1983. I'm happy to hear that you've seen a diference. I will take delivery of my new Quantum Quest sails in the spring. 130 Genoa and 2 plus 2 Main. (2 full battens at top, 2 standard att bottom.) While no slouch, my 33, a shoal draft, shows lots of weather helm unless the traveler is way down to leeward. I've been assured that the new sails will turn a lot of that wasted energy into speed. Oh boy oh boy!! I can't wait!

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Sail Care

Your appreciation of the performance from the new sails is understandable. If the old sails were "blown out" or had a lot of draft, the new ones will have great shape and as Sam Lust observed, convert wasted energy (weather helm) into forward motion. Our '88 H-35 had it's original main until we put on a new North main (full batten) and jib and, like you, we noticed the great increase in performance. Since we already had the Dutchman system I thought long and hard about changing but decided to stay with it. The sail cloth weight we went with is the next weight heavier than what the OEM sails came with. It's more difficult to hoist the main or flake the jib but the sails should not blow out as fast this time. My recommendation for new boat owners is to take care of those sails or you'll be in the replacing mode. Reef to keep the sail from being over loaded and getting stretched. In the grand scheme of things, the cost of sails, say $5K, against all the other costs such as boat purchase, slip rental, maintenance, etc. is just a little bit more but the enjoyment of good performance offsets the cost. What good is it to save a buck when it's your life you're wasting sailing a slug and not having real fun and enjoyment? It's good you bit the bullet and I know it'll be worth it. Question: What can one do with the old sails? I thought I'd use them for "winter sails" but with all that draft who wants to?

J

Jeff

Old sails

I would consider using old sails as a shade awning. There is a company in England that uses old sails to make jackets etc. Think about it and you will find lots of uses. On the other hand keeping them around as an extra in case you completely blow out your new sail might be the best thing.

H

Hutch

New Rags Work

I going thru the same transition on a 1980 33. Put a new full batten main on in the fall and take delivery on a new 110 genoa the 1st of March. I'm amazed at the difference in performance. I priced sails throught the states and found Sabre sails right here in my own backyard to be the most competetive, price per performance.

T

Tim Schaaf

question for Sam

Sam, I will be very interested to hear your results. I went with a full batten, loose footed main and a 120 Jib, from Sobstad before the loft became Quest, so they are from the same sailmaking group as yours. They sail beautifully, but I have always had second thoughts about the four full battens, due to the weight. I have often wondered how the two full battens, as yours will have, would do. I also increased the size of the jib to a 120 (not your 130), but in retrospect would probably go for a 110 or 115. Certainly no bigger than the 120. Then again, I do quite a bit of heavy weather and offshore sailing. I will be intrigued to see how your 130 works out. What sort of weather do you sail in, mostly?

B

Bill Kroll

sail replacement

Did you replace the sail with a new one or used? Where did you get it and do you mind saying how much? I have the same issue, my boat is a 77 and it may be the original main, it's been recut but sags and is beginning to tear. I can't reef it anymore without the ties ripping out. My 150 jib has a number of patches but will do. Thanks for your input

Status
Not open for further replies.