New radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
So my wife is telling me not to fix the TS-50. She says to get a new radio. I have looked around and for what I want to do and the size of my boat (not a permanent install), I think the Alinco DXSR8T would work perfectly. It has a detachable faceplate so I can put the actual radio some place else and not have to worry about space.

Any thoughts? Is there maybe another HF rig that is priced about the same as the Alinco that would work?

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
I like the way your wife thinks. May all of our wives develop the same attitude. The Alinco is a bargain, but is a basic rig with no computer control and limited noise reduction/dsp filtering. It has limited filter options. The filter in SSB is 2.4khz, but the narrow is 1.0khz. That's really narrow for voice. I almost never go tighter than 1.6khz. It would be ok for digital modes like PSK31. but I would like even narrower for that. Otherwise, I think it's a pretty good deal.
On the other hand, I would consider a Yaesu FT-857D. It is significantly more than the Alinco, but offers similar mounting options with the detachable face. It also has 6mtrs, 2mtrs,& 70cm all modes. I owned one of these in the past and the dsp is very useful and the filters are much more adjustable than the Alinco. Yaesu makes a matching mobile antenna, the ATAS 120. It's a screwdriver type antenna that mates up with the 857 and automatically tunes when you change bands. It's a small antenna that could be mounted just about anywhere. I know someone who uses one on a pickup truck and he swears it is the best mobile antenna he's ever owned. I was thinking this might be a good option on some boats. The reason I mention the 857 & ATAS, is there is one for sale on QTH.com right now that the owner claims is new, along with a new ATAS for $875. It's still more than the Alinco, but if you were considering a remote tuner and antenna, it could be cheaper and more features. There's another one listed today there for $600 - no ATS of course. You might get a couple hundred there for a broken TS-50 too.

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks for the tip on the 857. I will check into it.

I too have read that about the filtering and lack of DSP. I am not too sure if that is a big deal for me at this time. It probably could be and I just don't know it yet. I have also read of other things such as the VFO has one speed, the dial is loose, the power is either ultra low, low, or high (.1w, 10w, 100w). I like the power the TS-50 has of 10w, 50w and 100w is a better option.

So let me look at the 857 and see what options it has or does not have. Only have the TS-50 to compare.

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
I agree, I have the FT 857 but I'm using the Tarheel jr Antenna. it's a great rig with all the features you could want in a compact mobile radio.

Feb 17, 2006
LOL! Can I do that with a Catalina 36 also? Something about the radio was already installed? LOL

Feb 17, 2006
Well, I caved and sent the radio to be repaired. If the cost is >$250, I will have it returned and list it on EBay. If it is less then I will have it repaired. I want to play with the radio on the boat so bad. Oh well... Must be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.