New Questions About M25

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Or maybe not so new...

While sitting here killing time on day 3 of 5 of my son's all day ice hockey school I've spent a lot of time scouring the forums here and, believe it or not, I thought of just a few questions. Here are 2 of about 200!

1. Max Operating temp of the engine, as far as I have been told, is around 180deg. My engine runs at that temp constantly. It runs well but should I be changing something to get that temp down to a more reasonable 160ish? Will a constant 180 be harmful to the engine? I have to motor about 20min in and out whenever i sail to get clear of traffic so its never running that long. I cleaned the HX and replaced antifreeze at season start and have good water flow in the raw system (filter clean too).

2. My throttle is obstructed by the pedestal rail and it allows my engine to reach the top end of cruising RPM, 2400. Is this something that is normal with the 310 or is this something that I can easily adjust at the cable terminal? I would like to have the ability to hit max RPM, in the event I need more power but the last thing I want to do is mess with something that doesn't need messing with.

You know what they say.... "Idle hands are the boatowner's workshop."

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
1. Max Operating temp of the engine, as far as I have been told, is around 180deg. My engine runs at that temp constantly. It runs well but should I be changing something to get that temp down to a more reasonable 160ish? Will a constant 180 be harmful to the engine? I have to motor about 20min in and out whenever i sail to get clear of traffic so its never running that long. I cleaned the HX and replaced antifreeze at season start and have good water flow in the raw system (filter clean too).

Mine runs at 160, check your mixing elbow. 2. My throttle is obstructed by the pedestal rail and it allows my engine to reach the top end of cruising RPM, 2400. Is this something that is normal with the 310 or is this something that I can easily adjust at the cable terminal? I would like to have the ability to hit max RPM, in the event I need more power but the last thing I want to do is mess with something that doesn't need messing with.

You should be getting well over 3K RPM out of it. Go to the engine and pull the throttle there. If you can get 3200 than it is you cable adjustment, if you can't it is your engine performance, again check the mixing elbow for carbon buildup.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Maybe mixing elbow, more likely thermostat choice. They make two different ones, 160 and 180. Engine works fine with either.

Good advice on the second ?.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
I actually was working on the second today. Was able to get 2800 from the engine itself. Took apart the binnacle and once I freed up the lever from the pedestal guard it got the engine up to the same 2800. Unfortunately I could not figure out how to make the adjustment. I loosened the hex but all that did was allow the throttle lever to wander back to lower rpm on it's own.

I did notice that there is a u-bolt attached to the cable about 1ft from the point where the cable attaches to the throttle on the engine. Based on a c34 thread, it appears that it's used to adjust tension on the cable. There was a link to photos for throttle adjustment there but the host site is no longer in existence. I didn't want to mess with it though, until I knew what it was for, since the engine was running fine!

Here's the bolt:

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I actually was working on the second today. Was able to get 2800 from the engine itself. Took apart the binnacle and once I freed up the lever from the pedestal guard it got the engine up to the same 2800. Unfortunately I could not figure out how to make the adjustment. I loosened the hex but all that did was allow the throttle lever to wander back to lower rpm on it's own.

I did notice that there is a u-bolt attached to the cable about 1ft from the point where the cable attaches to the throttle on the engine. Based on a c34 thread, it appears that it's used to adjust tension on the cable. There was a link to photos for throttle adjustment there but the host site is no longer in existence. I didn't want to mess with it though, until I knew what it was for, since the engine was running fine!

Here's the bolt:
Yep, that is where it is done, at the engine.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Are you using the original prop? Any change in pitch will affect the high-end RPM. My engine will hit 3200 RPM easily, and there were many times when that extra power came in handy on the Intracoastal Waterway.

Mar 6, 2009
Catalina 310 Dunedin, Fl
Engine Temperature

We have our Catalina 310 in the Clearwater, Florida area. In order to reach the Gulf of Mexico, we motor for about one hour. The engine temperature stays at a steady 180 degrees the entire run, after the engine has warmed up, and remains at that temperature while under way. Gulf surface temperature this time of year is 90 degrees. From what I read in the manufacturer's literature (Universal) this temperature is the correct one.
We have not had any problems with the engine running at this temperature, we purchased the boat (#215) in June of 2010.
We noticed in the winter that the engine runs in the 160 - 165 range!
Hope this helps.

Or maybe not so new...

While sitting here killing time on day 3 of 5 of my son's all day ice hockey school I've spent a lot of time scouring the forums here and, believe it or not, I thought of just a few questions. Here are 2 of about 200!

2. My throttle is obstructed by the pedestal rail and it allows my engine to reach the top end of cruising RPM, 2400. Is this something that is normal with the 310 or is this something that I can easily adjust at the cable terminal? I would like to have the ability to hit max RPM, in the event I need more power but the last thing I want to do is mess with something that doesn't need messing with.

You know what they say.... "Idle hands are the boatowner's workshop."

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Yes. And I do have the 180 thermostat so I feel better. After Irene our water got cold here and I noticed I was down to about 170 heading in so I think my concerns here are put to rest.

Got a step by step solution for my RPM issue from Edson. Will probably work on that this weekend.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Was gong to post after I did it to make sure it works. But since you asked........

Good Morning Jack,
Thank you for your inquiry and photo. The issue with the throttle handle hitting the guard pipe is not a new one. What is new to me is the top plate / drink holder you have. I have not seen that product before and it is dictating the proximity of the guard pipe to the handle.
The procedure to correct it is as follows:
1) Remove your compass. You may want to consult with Ritchie if you have not done this before.
2) Disconnect the throttle cable at the engine control and the engine ends.
3) Move the throttle handle as far forward as you can without hitting the guard pipe.
4) Go down below and manually move the throttle lever on the engine to full throttle position.
5) Reconnect and adjust the cable at both ends.
I have attached our engine control instructions to refer should you need to.
Let me know if you need further assistance.
Sincerely,
Ken Martin
Customer Service

Hopefully I will get to it this weekend.

Aug 17, 2010
Catalina 310 Lake Pueblo
Good to know. I believe I am having this issue as well I can get the RPM's up almost to 3000. But if we are supposed to get 3200+, it looks like I have some adjusting to do as well. Let us know how the adjustment goes.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Visible in the second picture are the threads on the end of the rod by which the end fitting can be adjusted. It may be adjusted so the lever does not hit the pedestal guard when shifting to forward. Newer boats use the closed end fitting shown so the amount of adjustment is limited. On the pedestal end of the cable is a brass fork with a clevis pin which also provides some adjustment room. Also under the compass, bolts on each lever axle adjust the tension on the levers so your thottle doesn't creep down on you.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Witzend said:
Yea that is correct, I would not spin it faster that 3K, but depending on your prop and throttle linkage adjustment it could be run faster in an emergency situation. Mine will go to 3200, but I would not run it there.
You could do damage to the engine running above the redline.. If it turns faster than 3000, you are under propped...

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
You could do damage to the engine running above the redline.. If it turns faster than 3000, you are under propped...
At 2500 RPM with a clean bottom and smooth water she will cruise a 6knts no problem, so my prop is just fine. I don't plan on running it over that speed unless it is an emergency as I indicated before, but it will turn faster that 3K, I tried it once for a moment just to see, no damage done.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Same here. I get good performance at my governed 2400 but still would like to have the ability to get max power in the event of an emergency.

Still haven't done the adjustment. Too many crazy things...like hurricanes and sailing....keep getting in the way. What a tough life ;)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I am somewhat confused by this discussion of rpms. As you probably all know, the rpms reported by the tach are based on the alternator. If you have OEM alternators, then the tach should be reporting reasonably correctly. Note that I said "should." If you've changed your alternator, then know that the tach may need to be re-calibrated, MAY need to be.

You can either re-calibrate it from the Teleflex manuals, or just learn to do the proportions in your head, i.e., max rpm WOT in neutral is 3200 when it should be 3000, so 2500 on the tach is really more like 2400.

I also don't understand the "governed at 2400" unless that is just your throttle lever hitting that something or other upstairs.

Our M25 goes to 3000 rpm WOT in neutral and in gear, and I've replaced the alternator with a 100A Blue Circle which has the same number of poles, so the tach reads just fine. We cruise at 2450 to 2500, 'cuz anything over that is just pushing more water. We have used 2800 to 3000 for extended periods when necessary, but I put in a 3 inch HX years ago to avoid overheating, just like an M25XP, now! ;)

And yes, it would be helpful to know if you've changed your prop.:)

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Stu Jackson said:
I also don't understand the "governed at 2400" unless that is just your throttle lever hitting that something or other upstairs.

And yes, it would be helpful to know if you've changed your prop.:)

I used "governed" as kind of tongue in cheek as my engine does output higher RPM when throttling at the engine but I cannot push the throttle handle beyond 2400 due to the physical obstruction by the pedestal guard.

My RPM checked at the engine matches the RPM at the gauge. And my prop is the original.

I just want to have the ability to get max power out of the engine to get out of any bad situation. I am comfortable with the current power at 2400 but I want to have the ability to get more in the event I need to get out of some predicament.

Obviously it's not a huge priority since I keep putting it off for more pressing things!!

Status
Not open for further replies.