New Precision 23 Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2011
Precision P23 perdido key florida
I recently purchased a 2005 Precision 23. Took it out for our first sail this past weekend.
Coming from a Compac Legacy 16ft, which is a terrific and tough boat. The cabin design of the 23 was so great as to use as much space as possible. Even though there is only about 51 inches of headroom it wasnt unpleasant to move around in. The companion way hatch is very long, so as to them galley area the headroom you need. The boat was very easy to sail. Sailing with a 110% jib, the windward peformance was fantastic. The sail design enables this boat to really perform. We had a short sail and didn't get to set out on a long reach, but so far I'm impressed. The boat was in excellent condition, with the inside being absolutely like new with no wear and tear evidence at all. The outside exhibited great condition as well. Had to make a few sail repairs, but other than that all is great. Comes with a great trailor and mast raising system. Trailor handles very well and stable. Any other precision 23 owners out there, please reply as I would like to learn more about my new boat.

greg
perdido key, florida

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello and Congratulations,

Do you trailer your boat? We looked at a 21 and a 23 about two weeks ago, but bought an 18 this week. Our vehicle might have been challanged by either of the other two boats plus trailer. Day sailing is our plan for the near future.

The boat and trailer are undergoing the usual cleaning, refinishing, and recaulking that we give any project boat. I have been reading every review I can find on these boats, and we're getting anxious to get her back into the water.

We've scouted two ramps here in Cape Coral and will try the deeper one first unless I can rig the tongue extension by the time the boat is finished.

Phil

Attachments

Jan 25, 2011
Hello and Congratulations,

Do you trailer your boat? We looked at a 21 and a 23 about two weeks ago, but bought an 18 this week. Our vehicle might have been challanged by either of the other two boats plus trailer. Day sailing is our plan for the near future.

The boat and trailer are undergoing the usual cleaning, refinishing, and recaulking that we give any project boat. I have been reading every review I can find on these boats, and we're getting anxious to get her back into the water.

We've scouted two ramps here in Cape Coral and will try the deeper one first unless I can rig the tongue extension by the time the boat is finished.

Phil
Phil,

I have trailered by boat about 1000 miles so far. It has perform great. I have heard the P18 is great boat. We previously had a compac legacy about 16 ft for 4 years. We decided we were going to do some overnite stays. The wife and I are in our 50's and decided we would like some more room. I have had my boat out once. The windward performance of the p23 is awesome. Hope the 18 does as well

Greg

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Greg,
Thanks for the response. Our boat is a week or two of hard work from her relaunch. We are putting parts back on the hull instead of tearing more off! I call that progress.

We plan to sail on Charlotte Harbor and on the Caloosahatchee River here between Ft Myers and Cape Coral. We are excited about all the good comments regarding these boats.

Phil

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
Precision 21 Great Sacandaga Lake
Congrats on the new boat! I weekend sail a Precision 21 and found it to be a great little boat. It's my first boat and I'm a new sailor. The performance is exciting yet still forgiving of my (many) newbie mistakes! The 21 cabin is a lot smaller than your 23 but the wife and I still find it suitable for sleeping on during the summer.

Enjoy the new boat!

Jan 25, 2011
We looked real hard at a 21 and came close to buying a new one, because of the price difference for 2 ft. We were fortunate to have found a good used one before we pulled the trigger on a new one. In looking at the 21 it really had a good layout and didn't see giving up much as for as the cabin layout. Can't find anything bad about the boats yet. Oh do remember to recaulk or seal where your shrouds go through cabin deck once a year. I think 3M 5200 is what you are suppose to use. This is just maintenance, but in looking I saw a few p23's which had water streaks in the area.

Greg

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
We're really happy with our boat and I think you'll like yours too. They're really nice, well thought out boats. They can really get moving too, I'm sure you'll surprise some larger boats when you sail by!

I think the chainplates on all boats will eventually leak if not maintained. Precision Boatworks one and only adhesive for literally everything is the 3M 5200. If it's glued down from the factory then it's guaranteed to be 5200. Tenacious stuff, but not necessarily always the best choice in my opinion especially for maintenance items like chainplates. My chainplates are still dry after two years but when the time comes I'm going to use butyl tape in lieu of the 5200. It should last longer and still be easier to remove when required.

Jan 25, 2011
When I purchased my boat I added some "baby stays". $198 installed all stainless. They attached to the mast when putting up or down. A must when lowering or raising the mast. Especially in the wind. I have seen some elaborate setups that does the same thing, but these are really simple to attach and use.

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
Can you post some details of your baby stays? I have been thinking of doing the same thing and am curious as to how you did it.

Jan 25, 2011
Sorry in taking so long to reply about the baby stays. I do not have the specs, there are two pieces of cable configuerations. they attach to the bottom at the 2nd and 3rd lifeline stanchions on each side attaching to a single connection on each side of the mast. The cables are measured to specific lengths so that when you bring the mast up or down, it does not bind nor does it sway. I got mine at Rooke sails in Memphis, you can google them. They could probaly send you the hardware and instructions on how to install them. The best money I ever spent.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.