New Potential Owner - Aquarius 23

Feb 21, 2019
X X X
Hi, not sure where to post this. I have the opportunity to purchase an Aquarius 23 1976 for 3k. Although it has been modified and can no longer sail, it is only a motorboat. It is in good condition and comes with a trailer. Can anyone advise me if this a good deal?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It's converted to a motorboat and you're asking sailors if it is a good deal? :confused:
Whatever floats your boat. The motor better be in good condition. It and the trailer may be worth the money

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Does it still carry the 800+lbs of ballast below? Seems very inefficient as a motorboat. I'm sure it can't plane

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Why would you want a former sailboat modified to a motorboat when the boat is 43 years old is the first question I would ask? Not sure of the age of motor and trailer but if the same year, my biggest suggestion is getting a survey. If getting insurance, a survey will be required due to the age of the boat. As a former dealer, I ask these questions so you consider this purchase before going out and buying.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Old boats are always free in my mind, I'm buying the outboard, trailer, rigging and sails. Those cost a lot of money to replace. In your case you are buying a trailer and outboard. Are they worth $3K? Are you looking for a floating tent that you can go camping in? That is what this would be and might be very fun for that purpose but not really good for much else.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'm going to say no, especially at 3k. There is an old Morgan 22 for sale at my marina and it includea a trailer and is in great sailing shape. I'm tempted but I don't need it with my 25

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Agree with all of the above.
What is your use and expectation for the boat? When has it last seen the water? If its not up to speed mechanically (a pun - you'll have no speed) and/or you need trailer tires/ lighting you can SINK $3K additional in that rig before blinking. As a modified, specialized boat - resale will be very difficult.
I'd look for a craft you can actually sail (or motor). If you still can't get the Aquarius out of you head (been there done that :( ) a low, all cash offer might be appropriate.

May 1, 2020
J-boat J24 Lake George NY
It’s all about condition and if you want to use it in a lake and go slow , it’s a very safe boat.
was the keel removed? One day some one may make a sailboat again. Boat may deteratefast if you have no knowledge of up keep