New Post from Roger-The Downside of Cruising

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2011
Endeavour 32 NS
The Downside of Cruising
They say great art and writing requires suffering. The problem I’m having now is that this life is just so damn nice it’s effecting my writing. Compare my first post with my recent ones and you’ll see where lack of angst and longing leads. Anyway, I’ll give up on the deathless prose and just stick to the facts.

The morning after the heavy rains in Yarmouth, I motored down the coast and through the Tusket Islands, burning diesel and bucking the tide in order to possibly round Cape Sable. I could see this leg and the view was magnificent. It’s a wonderful collection of islands I’ll post pictures of the next time I find WiFi.

I pulled into Stoddart Cove for lunch and a nap and to see if I would get a return phone call from a friend who I’ve offered to help put the engine back in his sailboat. He was off Cape Sable when the damper plate came apart and was towed into a harbor on the west side of the island. He took the engine back to his home in N.B. to repair it. Just before I left Yarmouth, I got an email saying it wasn’t running right and he might not be coming.
The conditions were perfect for rounding the Cape and, not hearing anything from him, I decided to take advantage of them. Gawd! This is a horrible place. I don’t ever want to see it in even slightly bad conditions. The tide rip I went through near slack water without enough wind to sail just makes the imagination run wild.
Shortly after rounding the cape, a lovely breeze sprang up and I finished the 66.8 mile day spanking along on a close reach up into Barrington Bay, another of those “about as good as it gets” legs.

I spent a quiet night anchored out and them moved into the small harbor by the causeway to await word from my friend. There was an email this morning saying he was coming and the harbormaster said he would have him call as soon as he shows up. 1400 and still no word. However, I’ve been ashore in the dinghy to fill a jerry can with diesel and buy 8 bags of ice. The clerk at the store found a ride back to my dinghy for me without my even raising the question. He figured it out from what I was buying. Is this a great country or what?

The high tides, fast currents, and long anxious legs are behind me. I’m now in cruising country of frequent shelter, moderate tides. I have 19 days to reach Halifax and I can finally start that puttering I keep talking about but never seem to get around to actually doing.

BTW our very own POTL is posting this from my email. She’s opened a separate SBO account with the username “Strider Reports” to do this. I know Phil frowns on multiple user accounts but I’m sure he’ll make an exception in this case. I’ve figured out that I can’t even look at anything on the web without chewing up bandwidth like brush going through a wood chipper. Every image, cooking, and invisible connection to a tracking sited loads date roaming charges onto my bill. I’ve got to keep strictly to email until I get to WiFi again. If there are any particularly good responses, she will cut and paste and email them to me.

Folks, this is the life.

Roger
(By way of POTL)

Aug 1, 2011
Tanzer 26 Saint John
I am so glad to hear that your cruise is progressing so well and that the long stretch and high tides have passed astern. As you say, you have entered some excellent cruising waters, with plenty of shelter and nice new harbours only a half day apart. Halifax is only 130 kms away but I am certain that you will log more than twice that distance in the next 19 days. I suggest that you allow your self a couple of extra days for Lunenburg and Mahone Bay / Chester. I always enjoy the Fisheries Museum and the shops there. Mahone Bay and Chester will be very busy next week as Canada's largest keelboat regatta is hosted there by the Chester Yacht Club 10-13 Aug. Lots of sailors and lots of boats, but a good port to pick up some supplies if need. WiFi is available.

I have been very impressed with your SPOT tracking, so much that I have put my order in for one. I know that I will make good use of it afloat and in the woods.

With regards to rounding Cape Sable, locals have advised us that it is best for us to pass south of Seal Island, and for the boats that I have sailed with between Saint John and Chester this is what we do. Your description supports their advice.

Continued best wishes for your adventure and enjoy the south shore. I look forward to you finding WiFi

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
User Name, Princess of the Lake = POTL
One of our most excellent contributors.. THANKS, Princess..

Last edited:

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Roger,
It sounds like you are having a horrible time. I'm so glad I'm not there with you!
:Grin!
I'll have to wait for your breathtaking pictures.
Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.