New policies at West Marine

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
Juice, sign up for Amazon Prime and your shipping is free 90% of the time, regardless of order dollar total.
What the!!!! I have a prime account!!! I guess I just didn’t think about this. Thanks!! I still generally try and support local businesses though when I can. Maybe I’ll do this for big things and still use the local boating stores for the normal things.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Maybe in the end Defender will buy WM and turn it around

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Maybe in the end Defender will buy WM and turn it around
Let's hope not!

Defender, Hamilton Marine, Fisheries Supply, SBO, APS, Landfall Navigation, Compass Marine and others have found a solid niche providing good customer service, quick shipping, and decent prices. To the best of my knowledge these are all family owned or closely held companies, to be successful they have to be in touch with their customer base, something that WM has failed to do.

Back in the day, when Randy Repass ran the company it worked, they had good prices good services. Then WM started buying other companies, first Goldberg's Marine and E&B Marine, then the bought the BOAT/US stores. And then they were too large and could not be responsive to local demands and implemented marketing plans that were not sustainable and out of touch for local needs. To give a small example, the local WM store (now closed) could only stock zinc anodes, the corporation would not let the store stock aluminum or magnesium anodes. No informed boater would buy a zinc anode, the store was 200+ miles from the nearest salt water harbor.

At least in my area (Central NY) the store started with knowledgeable boaters staffing the store. Over time the number of employees declined and more young people, i.e., high school and college age folks, were hired and were basically store clerks who could ring up a sale but not answer a question or simply parrot the WM Advisor talking points. Talking to the managers and staff, it appeared the WM began to see itself as a generic retailer and not a marine store.

The local managers got hamstrung when it came time to support local boating events. A few thousand dollars spent supporting local regattas and boating events would have built some loyalty, but the local managers didn't have the authority or budget to support local events.

A few years back, WM decided to become a "Lifestyle Store" not a marine store. Essential marine supplies took a back seat to stylish fashions and water toys, but not the hardware and software we need to keep our boats sailing.

I'm sure there are some WM stores across the country that are throwbacks to the old days, but most of the ones I've been too are pretty light on essential items and heavy on the lifestyle items. WM also spends a lot of money on marketing themselves and designing their stores. It is refreshing to visit Defender, Hamilton Marine, or Landfall Navigation to see stores that are more concerned with stocking quality products at a decent price without the fancy displays.

Last summer I stopped at Hamilton Marine's main store in Searsport, ME. What a great store, especially the back room clearance tents, the sales help actually own boats and can talk knowledgeably about them. Nothing fancy at this store. When I went to avail myself of the facilities, there was a big sign on the door advising customers to be quiet while waiting for the room to become available as the "call center" was 10 feet away. The call center was 3 or 4 people sitting at their computers on the telephone. No glass walls, just empty space between the facilities and the call center operators. It was certainly a low budget operation, but that reduced the overhead allowing Wayne Hamilton to reduce his prices.

Finally, while I have an Amazon Prime Membership, I don't use it for most boating supplies. Amazon certainly makes shopping convenient and economical, however, they do use predatory pricing and are a monopoly. Both are destructive to free and open markets. I want to have a selection of vendors for my shopping, especially when I know what I am looking for. /end of rant/

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I was a shareholder of both WM (NASDAQ) and Amazon. Only one was a great investment and a convenient way to buy stuff. The other was only a convenience. Guess which is which.

Jan 11, 2014
I wonder if he's the reason JCP has gone from $11.57/share on 3/15/2016 to close at $1.10 today.
I hope you don't own a lot of JCP!

It is always revealing to look at the resume's of the corporate leaders. A few years ago the senior staff at WM had lots of executive experience running businesses that went out of business or into bankruptcy.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
...At least in my area (Central NY) the store started with knowledgeable boaters staffing the store. Over time the number of employees declined and more young people, i.e., high school and college age folks, were hired and were basically store clerks who could ring up a sale but not answer a question or simply parrot the WM Advisor talking points. Talking to the managers and staff, it appeared the WM began to see itself as a generic retailer and not a marine store....
The quality of people that I run into a West, seems to vary from store to store. At the bigger stores around here, I have found a mix of people who know boats well & used car salesmen types in a blue blazer. Most people at the bigger branches are at least pretty good. At the smaller stores, I find high-school kids that never even heard the names of prominent local landmarks. I went to a branch a little north of Lauderdale & asked to buy a chart that showed Fowey Rocks. I got a blank stare. That's a problem for someone working in a marine store south of the Palm Beaches. In their Phoenix store, the guy behind the counter didn't even know that they carry fiberglass resin.

I go to West when I have to. I generally look to Fishery Supply, Defender, or local shops like Sailorman, Dusky Sport Center, or Hopkins-Carter first.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
About 2 years ago WM was bought by and equity firm. ...
The new CEO is Ken Seipel who formerly worked for Old Navy, JC Penney, and Target.
That would explain the presence of a hard sell salesman that insisted I needed to buy a new handheld, after I told him that I already have 4 of them.

Jan 11, 2014
That would explain the presence of a hard sell salesman that insisted I needed to buy a new handheld, after I told him that I already have 4 of them.
He's right, you need a new modern up to date one. What if the batteries on the other 4 failed at a crucial time? How can he make his stores target sales figure?

I got to know the manager of the then Boat/US store which became a WM. He would complain about WM policies to no end. If I recall Correctly, under Boat/US the store was generating around $6 million in annual sales, under WM it dropped by half or more. They ended up closing the WM store a few years ago.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
He's right, you need a new modern up to date one. What if the batteries on the other 4 failed at a crucial time? How can he make his stores target sales figure?

I got to know the manager of the then Boat/US store which became a WM. He would complain about WM policies to no end. If I recall Correctly, under Boat/US the store was generating around $6 million in annual sales, under WM it dropped by half or more. They ended up closing the WM store a few years ago.
Generalities can be a dubious judgment full of exceptions. Years ago, our local BoatUS store sales figures doubled after WM took it over.
Also, sales promotions and employee incentives are not unique to WM particularly on electronics. To be fair, such practices are fundamental to all retail and marketing businesses.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I hope you don't own a lot of JCP!
Nope, have never owned any JCP. However, I did buy WM when it first went public in the '90s, and apparently every other boatowner in the country did too 'cuz their IPO price of about $28 very quickly shot up to the low $70s and split 2-1. I immediately sold half of mine. Then WM started buying out all their competition...B-US, E&B (anyone else remember them?). That put 'em in a serious cash bind...their terms with my company were 2% 10, net 30...I was lucky to get payment in 60 and they still took the 2%. When I complained, their answer was, "we don't have to keep buying your products." Their stock began to tank...I sold the rest of mine that had been at about $36 after the split for $26 (might have been slightly less) and it kept on sliding, finally bottoming out below $10. Never got above $17 again--at least not while I was still watching it--and that was only briefly. I don't know what it was when the private equity guys bought 'em out, ending their days as a publicly traded company.
--Peggie

Jan 11, 2014
Nope, have never owned any JCP. However, I did buy WM when it first went public in the '90s, and apparently every other boatowner in the country did too 'cuz their IPO price of about $28 very quickly shot up to the low $70s and split 2-1. I immediately sold half of mine. Then WM started buying out all their competition...B-US, E&B (anyone else remember them?). That put 'em in a serious cash bind...their terms with my company were 2% 10, net 30...I was lucky to get payment in 60 and they still took the 2%. When I complained, their answer was, "we don't have to keep buying your products." Their stock began to tank...I sold the rest of mine that had been at about $36 after the split for $26 (might have been slightly less) and it kept on sliding, finally bottoming out below $10. Never got above $17 again--at least not while I was still watching it--and that was only briefly. I don't know what it was when the private equity guys bought 'em out, ending their days as a publicly traded company.
--Peggie
So, you're saying WM stock went down the proverbial toilet?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
At one time we had an E&B, Boat US and a West Marine, then we had three West Marine stores sadly we down to one now. They used to carry all sorts of stuff now not so much. I buy a lot of stuff for our sailing program and have not really looked at prices because when you got a volunteer working on a project we need the stuff then not in 2-3 days.

I do not hear a great deal of talk about how folks like to go to WM. The folks at our local store are great but there is not talk like I've got some time to kill I'll go to Harbor Freight or Target. Anyone else remember looking forward to a Saturday trip to Sears just to visit the confectioner in the middle of the store between the escalators Jujubes were my favorite. Maybe that is what is missing.

Jan 11, 2014
Anyone else remember looking forward to a Saturday trip to Sears just to visit the confectioner in the middle of the store between the escalators Jujubes were my favorite. Maybe that is what is missing.
Warm Spanish Peanuts... mmmmmmmm......

And the lunch counters at Woolworth's where you could get a Club Sandwich and a Hot Fudge Sundae. That was living high on the hog!