New Passage 42 windless thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bill walton

I'd like to start a new thread among P42 owners discussing anew a method to improve the functionality of the windless and chain rode storage. This is advance planning for an extended voyage planned to start in 2004. My latest thought is to reduce the size of the forward water tank under the V-berth. I'd have the bulkhead that forms the rear of the anchor well moved back allowing a straighter fall from the windless. the reduction in water storage shouldn't be a problem since I plan on adding a watermaker for the trip. I sailed on a HC50 last week and one of the neatest features ws the way the windless and rode works on that boat.

J

James M Trammell

P42 Windless

Bill, I agree on the Thread> The anchoring system is a significant weakness. One which I am still searching for a solution. So I hope this type forum may lead to something I can do. Thanks.

P

Paul Cossman

P42 Windlass problem

Bill, I also would like to see some better answer to the problem. If you check the archives, you'll see a thread I started about a year ago. I went into detail on the issue. I have cruised about 25,000 miles on my P42, from California to Mexico, throught the South Pacific to New Zealand, and back again. I'm leaving again in a couple months on a similar cruise, this time for about five years or so. Nobody could come up with anything reasonable for a solution. I carry a 60 lb. CQR and 350 feet of 5/16" chain rode. I found the Maxwell 700 to be underpowered, and replaced it with the Maxwell 1200. The capstan receptacle had a different bolt pattern than the old one, so I had the old one machined to take the larger diameter mainshaft of the model 1200. The additional power is necessary for those emergencies when you need to have the horsepower on the windlass. (E.g., 30K winds and 4 foot swells with a reef behind you, finding yourself wrapped around coral heads). I stand up at the unit and hand-tail the chain as it comes off the cathead. I would also love another solution, but have never found one. This is, in my mind, the weakest point of the P42. But it is not bad enough to cause me to replace my boat. Very close, but not quite. I certainly hope somebody comes up with a better idea this time around, but I'd be surprised. It's just a very weak system. On another point, I agree with you that a smaller forward water tank is acceptable. I have a watermaker, and I keep my aft water tank full for emergency purposes. I make about 5 to 10 gallons of water on a daily basis (depending on whether or not my wife and I have a third and fourth crew member on board at the time) and put it in my forward tank. We just decided that we didn't want to shorten that forward bunk, and therefore didn't create a straighter drop for the chain.

B

bill walton

Paul's thread

I followed Paul's thread last year and one a year before. We never came up with a solution. I also think that the 42's only major weak point is the rode issue. While I never expect or plan to venture as far out as Paul, I've been trying to think of something. I also stand up forward and tail the rode off the windlass while my wife handles the helm. What about a hawse pipe arrangement that would feed the rode down into the space beneath and forward of the the v-berth that would be freed up my reducing the tank size.

Status
Not open for further replies.