New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2007
- - Dartmouth
Hi everyone - I'm just ordering a Bavaria 31 and am interested in hearing from experienced owners what options we should be taking up. The boat will be used by two couples (individually or together) for coastal sailing. One member of each couple has reasonable sailing experience, the other has very little or none. What does anyone think are essential, useful, or just 'nice to have' options? Apologies if the question has been asked before - if so, could you point me at the relevant place?

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Here is my 25 cents worth!

This is a hard one to answer due to not knowing the actual standard equipment list as well as the fact that a lot of this is personal preference. Anyway, here is my opinion: Essentials: 1) VHF radio 2) GPS or preferably a chartplotter 3) Shore power isolater (to reduce corrosion) 3) Dodger 4) Good size house battery bank (between 300 to 600 Amp hours) 5) If you do winter, fall, or early spring cruising a cabin heater (either forced air or hydronic) 6) If you plan on anchoring or tying to mooring buoy then a dinghy (and motor) are essential. Try for an upgraded anchor such as ROCNA or Manson Supreme. Nice to Have: 1) Radar, an essential if your area gets lots of fog. 2) Bimini 3) BBQ 4) Spinnaker (Asym) Just some quick thoughts, hope it helps. Tom

Oct 2, 2007
- - Dartmouth
Thanks!

Tom, thanks for that. We've included VHF radio, cabin heater, have a hand-held GPS for now (chart plotter is apparently easy to add later) and have gone for a spray hood plus full cockpit cover rather than bimini (partly for somewhere to sit topside when it's raining, partly to protect the cockpit when not in use). We also think electric windlass (a luxury?), auto pilot, and side rail openings (they have been fitted on most Bavarias we've seen). The plan is to get dodgers fitted when the boat arrives and we can decide what length (and the name to put on them!). Hadn't thought about extra battery power (2 are standard). What is a shore power isolator? The boat comes with AC shore supply and 25Ah battery charger - is this the same thing? (pardon my ignorance - my only previous boat did not have shore power facilities).

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Galvanic Isolator

The item you are asking about is actually called a galvanic isolator. An exerpt from a website explains what it is for. "Installing the Galvanic Isolator between the AC safety ground and DC bonding system (see diagram), blocks a majority of the low voltage currents and corrosive action on your zincs is significantly reduced ( while the integrity of the critical safety ground path is maintained.) This means a significant savings in boat haul-out fees and zinc replacement costs." Depending on boat, and therefore anchor size, an electric windlass is a good idea, but in my opinion is "nice to have". A manual windlass would suffice on a 30 footer. If you plan on having and using a fair amount of electronics, refrideration, chartplotters, etc., then upgrading the house battery system is a very good idea. If you use more than one house battery, then all house batteries should be of the same type, size and age (new together), so now is the time to upgrade or wait until the first ones wear out. I would also highly recommend a battery monitoring system like the Link 10. In this way, you know how much "juice" you are using and how long it is taking to recharge. Never discharge batteries below 50% capacity or else it will severly shorten their life. Sounds like you will have a well outfitted boat that you will be able to use basically year round (depending on local conditions). By the way, what do you mean by "side rail openings"? Good luck and enjoy, Bavarias are pretty good boats. Tom

Oct 2, 2007
- - Dartmouth
Side Rail Openings

Tom, thanks again for useful information. Excuse my lack of technical terms here, and sorry if I'm stating the blindingly obvious. The standard Bavaria 31 side rail is the usual 3 or 4 stanchions with a pair of stainless steel cables acting as guard rails running through them. If side rail openings are fitted there is a break about 2 feet wide half way along, with a double stanchion (like a very tall, narrow letter 'n') on either side, and the gap has 2 shorter clip-on cables. Makes getting aboard when moored alongside a low pontoon much easier, using the stronger double stanchions as handles without stressing the normal ones. Visible in this picture of a B37: http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=59245 My only other boat suffered from the stanchions loosening after countless visitors and relatives hauled themselves up and climbed over the rails to get on board, and I eventually had to remove a stack of interior fittings to reseal and tighten them all.

B

Bill

Options?

I cruised to the tropics for 5 months last year (Bavaria 34) and really appreciated the following additions: Chartplotter with linked autopilot. Tridada instrument (Raymarine). Anchor Winch. 2x150 litre fresh water tanks. Shore power outlet with built-in battery charger. Dodger. LED anchor light. A separate boom tent was excellent for shading the cabin top and cockpit when anchored. I didn't have a bimini or shade over cockpit when underway, but this would have been a "nice to have". Good Sailing Bill

A

andreas

Battery

I have a indentical boat on order, infact it has already been delivered for winter storage in Denmark. The standard house battery is a 140 ah battery with an option to add another. I didnt think twice about it and got 2. The secound standard battery onboard is the engine battery. Other than this I will not be buying the autopilot or chartplotter from the dealer, it`s hopelessly overpriced. I belive the Raymarine ST6002 S1G can be had for about 1/2 price and for navigation I shall be using a laptop below deck in addtion to old style charts. andreas

Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
Other owner's upgrades

You've undoubtedly made many changes by now - but you can go to the owners website & see what others are doing. This area is changing,so check back periodically. Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.