New owner with some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2010
Catalina 310 RCYC, Toronto
Generally what coating/ paint comes from the factory? not sure what the 1st owner used if any thing by the look of it?

Has any one installed any kind of folding door or curtain for the aft berth

Has any one come up with a design to fasten two full size bikes to the stern rail?

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Some answers

Generally what coating/ paint comes from the factory? not sure what the 1st owner used if anything by the look of it?

Not sure what you are talking about here. The outside has gelcoat and non-skid. The inside is wood with polyurethane.

Has any one installed any kind of folding door or curtain for the aft berth

We have curtains. I believe they were standard. Never heard of a folding door.

Has any one come up with a design to fasten two full size bikes to the stern rail?

We set our full size bike on the two seats (make sure your propane is on in case you want to cook) and then use ratcheting straps to hold the bikes in place.

Does that answer your questions?

Apr 16, 2010
Sorry I should have said bottom boat paint over the gelcoat before the antifouling (i am in fresh water)

No Curtain here

Any special 'ratcheting straps" purchased where?

Sep 29, 2008
More answers

Bottom boat paint over the gelcoat before the antifouling (i am in fresh water).

Even in fresh water it would seem to be a good idea to have barrier coat on. Interlux gets good marks. I believe it also helps the bottom paint adhere better.

No Curtain here

Thought the curtain was a standard. No problem as it you are handy sewing it look pretty simple to make one and the track it rides in looks to be a standard one you can get at West Marine. Is there no track either? I can get pictures if you need them of the set up.

Any special 'ratcheting straps" purchased where?

The straps are one I bought somewhere (WalMart, Target or any automotive store) for under $15.00 for a pack with 4 inside. Flat red nylon web type. Have a little handle you push in to release.

Apr 16, 2010
Thanks for the info would be great if you could send pictures of the track.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The local dealers make the choice of bottom paint based on their location. If the factory put on bottom paint there would be a BIG difference between the Great Lakes and saltwater sailing for bottom paints that would work.

Jeff75

Dec 9, 2007
Catalina 310 Niagara on the Lake
Re bottom paint

Welcome,,,We have 2001 Catalina 310, hull 160, based in your neck of the woods, Niagara On The Lake.

Re Bottom Paint: Boat had a number of coats of the blue Interlux paint when we purchased her. Standard for most boats in salt water. Last year I took the challange and hand scrapped this off. Took about a week of scrapping. Then a wet sand by hand and then a power dry sand until down to the white gel coat. Then I applied 7 coats Of Interprotect 2000. Then before going in the water I apply 1 coat of VC 17 and good to go for the year, which by the way, I did yesterday and will be going in today.

Curtain: No curtain or track on our boat.

Good Luck

Sep 29, 2008
Will measure the curtain and get pictures

Just have not made it to the boat yet.

OTOH, I was in the RV store getting stuff (working on a new 310 project ;- to make PaulJ proud)) and saw they had some pretty nice looking curtain tracks and they were pretty inexpensive (I recall about $10.00 would get you more than enough track).

If you are handy and sensitive (note I am excluding most on this thread) or know someone who is (again I am excluding some on this thread) you could probably fix some up pretty easy. And I am talking about sewn curtains not ones that are stapled together (again I exclude some on this thread).

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Ray
Very nice.
Curtin material pattern matches bed cover? :dance:

paulj :troll:

Sep 29, 2008
Nope

Wife just put new covers on the bunk. Naturally I think they are great even if I really don't have an opinion. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.