new owner - Sail options for Hunter 23.5?

Dfed

Jul 19, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Augusta
I am looking at buying new sails for my recently acquired 1996 Hunter 23.5. We do lake sailing, light air under 12 knots typical, but are only 3 hours from the Carolina coast so there's potential for coastal sailing.

I'm considering a loose footed mainsail so I can get better shape in light air. I had one on my last boat (an S2 7.3) that I raced, and was happy with the boats performance if not my own.
Is anyone flying a loose foot mainsail on their 23.5? What are the pros and cons to consider?

Also looking at a new roller furling headsail to replace my jib. The way this is boat is rigged, I don't see how I could really fly much more than a 110. I seem to recall a discussion on this forum that said that the 23.5 can't fly a genoa. Is this correct?

Finally, this boat did not come with a spinnaker. The owners manual shows a symmetrical rig, but some sailmakers are including asymmetricals in their list of options. Is anyone flying an asym on a 23.5? Have you installed a bow sprit?

Regards

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Although I've posted a lot for sailing with good shaped sails, I do think it's wise to sail your boat for a season or so to learn what you would like to have for a new sail plan. It's probably not something someone can tell you due to local conditions, your own taste in sailing and how you are going to use the boat. It is possible that you may decide that this boat doesn't meet your expectations (Maybe nothing to do with its sailing characteristics), and you may want to move on. You most likely won't see the money for new sails come back.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I like the advise by shemandr, the Hunter SA have a large main compared to the jib I would play around with that and see what you like, with the B&R rig it will restrict how far you can let the main out as the spreaders are swept back. The main is approximately 2/3's of your SA, so a big jib is not advisable, would be too easy to overpower the boat.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
If you need a mainsail, check the used gear classifieds on this site- look in the the gear wanted list, not the for sale list. There is a post to sell a like new 23.5 main- coastal cruise version by Peak Sails, used once (they posted it in the wrong category). If it would fit my 240 I would already have it!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
DFED;
The 23.5 was designed so it will only accommodate a 110 jib. The next sail for light air is an A symmetrical spinnaker. As for the main, it is larger than a normal standard main as the boat which Hunter was putting more power in the main. Combined with both sails, in a sense, you have a standard main and a 140 % genoa total area. I suggest wait a year and then rethink a foot loose main but in the years as a dealer for the 23.5 with nearly 25% of the production sold, never sold a foot loose main in all my years for the 23.5. As for roller furling, I went with the CDI FF2 as you can leave the sail rolled up and lower/raise the mast if you are going to trailer a lot. Think of it this way. You are at the end of the day in a hot sun tired and want to go home. the less time to prep a boat to go home is the way I look at gear on a trailerable boat.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The 23.5 has a fractional rig (the forestay doesn't go all the way up to the top of the mast), which means your headsails will be smaller and the mainsail larger. A masthead rig, where the forestay goes to the top of the mast usually has larger headsails and smaller mainsails. The fractional rig is nice because handling headsails through tacks, etc. is much easier and more of the horsepower is employed in the mainsail. Often this type of rig allows the boat to be well balanced so you can sail with the main alone - not using the jib at all. The best information you can get, covering your questions, should be asked to a local sailmaker. First of all, they will, if good at what they do, suggest a sail inventory that matched the area that you sail and the type of sailing you wish to do. The sails can be built to suit. I have sailed (and owned) boats with loose footed mains and no problem. Might save some money to boot because the sailmaker doesn't have to put in a lens foot, or a foot with a bolt rope, slugs, etc. Roller furling is a good idea as then you can roll up the sail from the cockpit and never have to go forward to deal with it, bag it and take up space below to stow the thing. A sailmaker will build a sail designed for furling (they need to know the make) and can build in a luff designed for reefing to maintain decent sail shape. CDI is not a reefing furling unit, but the Schaefer Snap Furl is. Both have flexible extrusions which is grand for trailerable boats. The CDI uses their own halyard system incorporated into the luff extrusion, the Snap Furl uses your existing halyards. Both work well, but the halyard differences might conclude your decision.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Barnacle Bill.
You need to explain " CDI is not a reefing furling unit, but the Schaefer Snap Furl is." You are confusing one is not and the other is.

One of the other small boat furlers are two halves that the early version use to move causing problems. The CDI referenced is a single extrusion which does furl but the max sail on this boat for a jib is a 110 and that will be fine. The idea that it has it own internal halyard leaves the boat jib halyard for lowering and raising the mast alone. I found this is good if trailering a lot as you can leave the sail furled on the furler and the fact it can be laid down bending if necessary is a plus when at the end of the day you are hot and tired and the less time to pack up a boat to prepare trailering home is something to think about. Not sure why this is not considered a reefing furler like the other mentioned.

Just waiting for a response.

Last edited: