New owner of Pearson 34-2

Aug 27, 2014
Sabre 34 53447 Sarasota
My wife and I are new owners of a 1990 Pearson 34-2. We've spent the first 45 days cleaning the interior and crawling all through the boat to learn where everything is and how it works. That is ongoing as we still have much to learn. (We also have sailed her about two days per week getting to know her under sail and power.) We are very happy with our new boat and plan coastal cruising on eastern LI and southern NE. We eagerly read all forums related to the 34-2 and the Yanmar diesel.
Questions:
1. I believe water in the refrigerator is pumped out via the hand pump in the galley sink. However, I can't get it to do so. What am I missing?
2. Just forward of the diesel are two through-hulls. To starboard is the intake for the head. I'm not sure what the port one is. The boat does have an AC unit but it doesn't work and the previous owner said they never used it. They owned her 15 years and we are the third owner of this boat. I am not sure if this could be related to the AC.
3. We periodically get water in the bilge. Sometimes just enough to cover the nuts on the keel bolts. It does not appear to be coming from them. It appears to be coming from the stearn area. I had the diesel checked and all is tight. All through-hulls (that I know of anyway) appear tight. As best I can determine it is coming into the bilge from under the sole boards between the head and galley. Is there anything under there? I couldn't know for sure without pulling up the boards. But it could be coming from aft of that area. Could there be that much coming in from the "dripless packing? Might it be an internal fresh water leak? It does stay dry for several days and seems to appear when we us the boat. We are still trying to find common events.
4. Does anyone have any tricks to prevent the 135 sheets from getting caught on the self-tailing track?
We look forward to connecting with other 34-2 owners and sharing information.
Many thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2011
pearson 34-2 Belleville ON
I suspect that you bought the P34-2 that Oyster Bay Yacht Sales had listed last spring, and was wondering what your hull # is. Yours may be close to the last one built.

On your question of water in the bilge, we found that much of ours came from various deck leaks, particularly the stanchion bases which Pearson gasketed to the deck and almost universally, after a few years will leak. The aft stanchion bases, port and starboard where they sit low on the deck where water often sits as well were notorious leakers for us. The water came down through the mirrored cabinet in the head and in the "hanging" locker just aft of the stove. Once resealed our bilge would remain dry.

Glenn
P34-2 #22

Aug 27, 2014
Sabre 34 53447 Sarasota
Correct, Glenn...it is hull 34 built late '89 (I believe) although it was listed as a '90. Do you know how many were built?
I believe the water is (was) from worn seals in the dripless. I had it replaced when hauled for the winter. I do appreciate your insight and will watch the stanchions but thus far all dry in the areas you referenced.
How long have you had your P34-2? My wife and I are very happy with our selection for coastal cruising and I'm happy to connect with another owner to share information.

Aug 27, 2014
Sabre 34 53447 Sarasota
HELLO TicTacTeau.
Are you still sailing your 34-2?
We moved to Sarasota full time two years ago. Brought Sea Rose down with us. The more time with her the more we are thrilled with our choice.
Let me know how you're doing.
BTW the bilge water is from mast in heavy rains and some from our PSS which does have a slight drip most times.
Recently sailing down the coast in 25-30kts with 6-8' seas dead on our nose. Small jib on self tacked and full main did well. (I probably should have put a reef in). Outhaul snapped but otherwise happy with her performance.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
My wife and I are new owners of a 1990 Pearson 34-2. We've spent the first 45 days cleaning the interior and crawling all through the boat to learn where everything is and how it works. That is ongoing as we still have much to learn. (We also have sailed her about two days per week getting to know her under sail and power.) We are very happy with our new boat and plan coastal cruising on eastern LI and southern NE. We eagerly read all forums related to the 34-2 and the Yanmar diesel.
Questions:
1. I believe water in the refrigerator is pumped out via the hand pump in the galley sink. However, I can't get it to do so. What am I missing?
2. Just forward of the diesel are two through-hulls. To starboard is the intake for the head. I'm not sure what the port one is. The boat does have an AC unit but it doesn't work and the previous owner said they never used it. They owned her 15 years and we are the third owner of this boat. I am not sure if this could be related to the AC.
3. We periodically get water in the bilge. Sometimes just enough to cover the nuts on the keel bolts. It does not appear to be coming from them. It appears to be coming from the stearn area. I had the diesel checked and all is tight. All through-hulls (that I know of anyway) appear tight. As best I can determine it is coming into the bilge from under the sole boards between the head and galley. Is there anything under there? I couldn't know for sure without pulling up the boards. But it could be coming from aft of that area. Could there be that much coming in from the "dripless packing? Might it be an internal fresh water leak? It does stay dry for several days and seems to appear when we us the boat. We are still trying to find common events.
4. Does anyone have any tricks to prevent the 135 sheets from getting caught on the self-tailing track?
We look forward to connecting with other 34-2 owners and sharing information.
Many thanks for any insight.
I had a pearson P36-2..... with the hand pump unscrew the top and pull the
Plunger out. If it is like mine was there is a black cup like part that produces the suction. What I found was that the plastic cup shrunk over time and does not give a good seal. Little sop or grease with work for a few pumps but I found that’s it. What I ended up doing was to dip the plastic part into a cup of real hot water and soften it up..... then I would gently stretch it out. It would work fine and would
Only have to do that once every couple
Months. I tried to find a replacement but to no avail. Good luck!
Greg

Sep 2, 2013
Hunter 42CC Pensacola
I have hull #2. It currently resides at Lake Lanier outside of Atlanta but is moving to Pensacola. I’m considering installing AC, but can’t figure out where to put it. Plenty of room under the v-berth but ducting it becomes problematic. I could run the duct through the plywood bulkhead behind the drawers and duct it to the footwell under the v-berth or sacrifice one of the drawers, but not sure how to provide for the return. I guess it could go in the stern behind the aft berth bulkhead but not sure how well it would cool the v-berth area with the only duct coming out below the quarter berth into the galley, which would block air flow forward. Need ideas!

Aug 27, 2014
Sabre 34 53447 Sarasota
We have AC (hasn’t worked since we’ve owned her). Just back from a long road trip and will be checking on Sea Rose tomorrow. I’ll look at the duct runs and try to relay information to you.
Correct on compressor location. Under the platform bed just aft of the water tank. There’s a shallow storage tray over it.

Aug 27, 2014
Sabre 34 53447 Sarasota
Hi. Yes. The vents are located on both sides of the platform bed just above the steps. Another through the starboard hanging locker into the forward cabin. And one (appears larger) through the port locker and through the bulkhead into the main cabin.
Forward loaded as I didn’t find any running aft of the forward bulkhead.
As the AC wasn’t working when we bought the boat (5 yrs ago) I cannot comment on how effective this arrangement is.
Hope this helps.

Sep 2, 2013
Hunter 42CC Pensacola
It does help. Thank you very much. It sounds like the port bulkhead vent, being larger, is the return, and the others are the supply vents. Did they go under the steps to get to the hanging locker or are the ducts exposed between the platform bed and the lockers?

Aug 27, 2014
Sabre 34 53447 Sarasota
No exposed duct.
I looked over my unit and it appears it hasn’t been used for many years. Would need to be replaced. I haven’t looked into yet. What size unit are you looking at? Mfg? Cost?

Aug 27, 2014
Sabre 34 53447 Sarasota
BTW
We’re now in Sarasota full time. See you’re moving to Pensacola.

Sep 2, 2013
Hunter 42CC Pensacola
Yes. Truck loads on July 5. We’ve been members at Pensacola Yacht Club for a couple years and have anticipated this move. Finally pulled the trigger. We still live outside Atlanta for a couple years until we totally retire. The boat will go on the market when it moves down. We have been looking for a ~45 footer to live aboard when we retire and go cruising full time. Until then, we will enjoy coastal cruising on the 34-2.

Aug 27, 2014
Sabre 34 53447 Sarasota
Hi S/V Breeze
Just saw this again and was wondering if you sold your 34-2. If, yes, in Florida?
We are members of Bird Key YC and keep Sea Rose there.