New owner of an S2 9.2C

May 26, 2018
S2 9.2C Long Island, NY
Hello All.

I'm a new owner of a 1984 S2 9.2C, located in Long Island, New York. Unfortunately I have very little experience with marine engines (or any engines for that matter - my S2 is equipped with an 18hp yanmar) and am having some difficulty figuring out what I'm doing. When I turned the key to start the engine a red warning light came on that said something to the effect "water press." I'm not sure what that means, if there is a water pump not working, or if I the seacock is still closed (I opened what I believe to be the seacock, but I'm really not sure since nothing is labeled)? If anyone knows what that warning means, or could give me a step by step to starting the boat up after it has been winterized in the water, then I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm completely new to all of this, so any advice helps a lot.

Thank you!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
First, Welcome to the forum! ..
make sure the seacock to the water pump is open.. The water pump is immediately left of the lower main pulley when you are looking at the engine.. Attached photo has "water pump" in red letters by the pump. The hose leading off the pump to the left probably goes to a strainer then to a seacock.. follow the hose to that seacock and make sure it is open. (usually handle in line with valve) .. When you turn the key on, there will be no oil pressure so that alarm will sound (if everything is working properly).. Make sure transmission is in neutral and the throttle is bumped up a little off idle.. Next push the start button and it should crank over and start.. The alarm should turn off as the oil pressure builds.
It would be good to get a "gear head" friend to look the engine over and show you where to check the oil and transmission oil .. and coolant (if the engine has a heat exchanger).. The water pump belt tension is important too.. Usually "gear heads" (like me) can be enticed to help by offering cold hoppy beverages AFTER the work is done..
Again, welcome aboard.
Yanmar Front Label.JPG

Nov 6, 2006
Also, it would be good to know the engine model number. Again, in the picture, there is a nameplate about half way between the top pulley and the bottom pulley.. It will have the model # on it such as 2GM or 2GMF or 3GM or 3GMF..

May 26, 2018
S2 9.2C Long Island, NY
Thank you for the warm welcome! The good news is that I believe based on your description that I correctly identified and opened the seacock; a small victory for most, perhaps, but a significant one for me. :)

I haven't been back on the boat so I had to use old pictures, but I think I've identified a few things in the photos:
In photo 1:
1. The red arrow points to the sea water pump.
2. The blue arrow points to the Strainer.
Engine_1.jpg

In photo 2:
1. Circled in purple is the line going from the strainer to what I believe to be the seacock.
2. The yellow arrow points to the seacock (I hope). When I took this photo it was in the closed position, but I rotated it to the open position before I went to start the boat.

Engine_1.jpg
Engine_2.jpg

If all of that looks correct to you all, then I think I got at least that part right.

"When you turn the key on, there will be no oil pressure so that alarm will sound (if everything is working properly).. Make sure transmission is in neutral and the throttle is bumped up a little off idle.. Next push the start button and it should crank over and start.. The alarm should turn off as the oil pressure builds."

When I turned the key the alarm sounded, which I knew it should, but there are also tiny little display that light up red as well, right next to where the key ignition is up on deck. If I remember correctly off the top of my head, the first was warning me of low battery power, which wasn't a surprise to me, but the second one was warning me of water pressure, or something of that nature. Do you know what I'm talking about? And what does it mean that this is also highlighted red when I turn the key on?

"It would be good to get a "gear head" friend to look the engine over and show you where to check the oil and transmission oil .. and coolant (if the engine has a heat exchanger).. The water pump belt tension is important too.. Usually "gear heads" (like me) can be enticed to help by offering cold hoppy beverages AFTER the work is done.."

I would very willingly dispense with a generous amount of cold hoppy beverages in exchange for help from any gear heads, or anyone that has a lot of experience sailing on multi-day trips. In fact, I don't have much money, but I am barrel aging some rum and whiskey and I'd happily give some of that as a parting gift as well. If anyone is located near Huntington, New York then please let me know, I'd love to learn from you!

Barrel and Bottle.jpg

May 26, 2018
S2 9.2C Long Island, NY
Also, it would be good to know the engine model number. Again, in the picture, there is a nameplate about half way between the top pulley and the bottom pulley.. It will have the model # on it such as 2GM or 2GMF or 3GM or 3GMF..
The engine model is 2GMF.

Nov 6, 2006
The red alarm light in the panel is most likely oil pressure.. There is an alarm and a red light.. The sensor is below the alternator down by the oil filter.
You are correct in the seacock to water pump line-up.. Looks fine. Red handle in line with valve for open.
Shop and operating manuals are in the "General Downloads" section of "Owner Resources.. scroll down to Yanmar GM ..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Do I see a rudder cable going from the pedestal down to the hull? If so, be sure the turning block on the hull is well glassed in. It is just a 2x4 glassed to the hull and the turning block is just lagged into the 2x4. It is in tension and can pull away from the hull resulting in a very slack steering system. I think the later ones changed the design and you might want to see if yours could be changed.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
It is normal to hear an alarm sound and see a light on with the key on before you hit the started button.

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Yanmar-2gmf-3967513.html

Starting System Operation
The battery switch, if used, and the key switch must be
in the ON positions so battery current is available to the
starter circuit. When the start switch on the instrument
panel is pushed, battery current flows to the starter sole-
noid, which mechanically engages the starter with the en-
gine flywheel. The solenoid also directs current to the
starter motor, which rotates the engine flywheel to start
the engine. Once the engine has started and the start
switch is released, the slave solenoid is de-energized.
Without current to hold the solenoid in position, the
starter motor overrunning clutch disengages the starter
pinion from the flywheel.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@S2inNewYork Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new boat.
You already have good insight from some of the talented boat owners on your Yanmar.
Good images were a great help. Keep asking questions and providing pictures. It lets even us no S2 boat owners follow the conversation and learn.
Your picture of libation will bring the help out of the marina ooze... :biggrin:

May 26, 2018
S2 9.2C Long Island, NY
I was looking at the bilge under the engine and found what I can only describe as a waterlogged buoy. More mysteriously, it was tied to a string which is tied to the side of my fuel tank. Does anyone know what this is and what purpose it serves? Also, is it normal to have that much water in the bilge?

20180823_131925.jpg
20180823_132138.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Yes. It is an oil log. It collects oil from your bilge. It it looks saturated in oil or smells like gasoline then it should be removed. You should ventilate the boat before creating any spark.

From the picture it does not look black with oil/diesel. So you may be able to drop it back down and let it keep doing it’s job of protecting the planet.

May 26, 2018
S2 9.2C Long Island, NY
Yes. It is an oil log. It collects oil from your bilge. It it looks saturated in oil or smells like gasoline then it should be removed. You should ventilate the boat before creating any spark.

From the picture it does not look black with oil/diesel. So you may be able to drop it back down and let it keep doing it’s job of protecting the planet.
Thank you!!

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Also, is it normal to have that much water in the bilge?
The bilge should be as dry as practical. Check that the pump is sitting in an area to remove the most water. I would dry the bilge completely and find where the water is coming from. Possibilities are shaft seal, thru hull hoses, engine raw water pump, rain water from a deck fitting, etc. If water comes back check to see if it's fresh are salt water. How often and how much water comes out when the bilge pump comes on?

May 26, 2018
S2 9.2C Long Island, NY
I figured it out. The bathtub drains into the sump. We recently concluded a 5 day trip where we made good use of the bathtub, so that explains all of the water in there. I thought there was a float trigger down there, but I guess not. I'll have to get in there and take a closer look.

Oct 22, 2014
Hey @S2inNewYork great to hear you are battling th boat gremlins and getting out on the water... Long leisurely baths that fill up your sump. There must be a story in there.:laugh:

Ever been to the Annapolis US Boat show? A couple of us are headed that way in October. Just thinking, if you were in for a road trip you might bring some of that “Aged” beverage down and I’m sure the gathered could help you put it out of it’s misery, while sharing boat stories.
Oh and the Boat show is supposed to be pretty good.