New Owner of an H34

Nov 13, 2020
Hunter H34 Chesapeake Bay
I joined the community of Hunter owners with the purchase of a 1986 H34 yesterday after a successful survey and sea trial. The surveyor said it was a unicorn, a real barn find (his words, not mine). He said it was one of the driest boats he has surveyed. No moisture in the rudder, hull or deck, and very solid. Sails looked new and the mainsail had several leech cleats for added support. The running rigging lines are new. Standing rigging was replaced five years ago. New water heater and batteries. New B&G anemometer and water transducer on a NMEA 2000 backbone to a B&G plotter at the helm. Raymarine AP (not integrated with plotter). The 3GM30F has been rebuilt with just 700 hours on it. USCG documentation.

There are a few things that need tending to. I plan to have all new canvas made. Sailpack, dodger, and bimini.

I will be naming the boat Sparky, a nickname I had back in my Navy days. If you see me on the Chesapeake, give me a shout.

I'm sure I will have many questions to come, but here is one to start. Is there a standard fix to keep the throttle from vibrating off speed? (besides a bungee cord).

John

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
There should be a cable clamp on the throttle cable that can be tightened just a little. If not, get one and install.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
on my '85 model, the clamp is close to the end at the engine. (in the red circle) Many had a nylon tipped screw under the compass that could be tightened against the throttle lever axle, a better way than the clamp because the cable loads are lower.. Congrats on the boat!

Throttle Friction.jpg

• Helpful
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Scroll down to page 50 in the file and you see part #19 in the lower view.. That is the friction adder screw.. When I bought an aluminum replacement for the cracked plastic one, the screw hole was not threaded..so I don't have that screw.
Hunter_gen_18329874.pdf (sailboatowners.com)

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
I moved my clamp up to where the cable enters the bottom of the pedestal. Works much better as there is less cable to bend before the clamp

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on your new boat Sparky. Enjoy the Chesapeake. A great water to sail. Mind your depths shoals abound. All the better for the bluefin crabs and flounder that are so tasty.

Fair winds Sparky.

Nov 13, 2020
Thanks folks. I've used this site for about a year now as a resource while searching for a boat. I've download a few of the Hunter documents.

I won't see the boat again until I go back next week to sail her home from the Deltaville area. Hopefully I can find one of those throttle adjustments before we start the trip. Although I'm expecting good winds most of the trip, motoring even a few miles can be a pain if the throttle keeps moving. I experienced that during the sea trial.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Welcome to the Bay. We have our H34 at Herrington Harbour South, come down for a visit.

Nov 13, 2020
Welcome to the Bay. We have our H34 at Herrington Harbour South, come down for a visit.
Since that is where the fuel dock is, I'm sure we'll cross paths (grin). I have two friends there. I may end up there at some point. What's the name of your boat?

Mar 23, 2020
Hunter 30G Nanaimo
I had the same issue with a creeping throttle when I purchased a Hunter 30G last year. If you take off the compass, you can reach into the binnacle and there is a friction screw on the inside of the throttle lever. A few turns and the issue will be solved.

Nov 13, 2020
Update......

Small craft advisory Saturday prevented getting the boat home. I did get it about 2/3 of the way on Sunday. Twelve hours of mostly motoring due to lack of wind and Northerly direction of what was there. It did sail very nice for light winds. For the most part, the boat ran very well. Here are a few items to note.

Auto Pilot: It seems the compass is a little off (10-15 degrees) and continuously over corrects back and forth. I forgot about the circling to calibrate the compass at the time. I'll try that next time out.

Steering - Seems to want to pull to port. Tends to over compensate when correcting. Could be a weight distribution. There was a heavy portable a/c unit in the v-berth. Weight could be causing "swerving" behavior. Could also be new captain learning curve (grin). I will remove a/c unit and see how it handles.

Throttle control - As mentioned previously, throttle vibrates off. I removed the compass and the tension adjustment screw is missing. There wasn't any other cable tension device that I could find. Are the screws under the compass available anywhere?

Jib Furler - It has a Schafer furler and a fairly new jib. My first mate said it was the easiest furling jib he has ever seen.

It has a Kenyon mast and boom. From what I could find online, that seems to be a norm for some Hunters. Is that correct?

And the adventure begins......

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Auto Pilot: It seems the compass is a little off (10-15 degrees) and continuously over corrects back and forth.
There should be a sensitivity setting that you can change. My Ramarine autopilot default setting is 5; I set it to 3 and it definitely reduces the over-corrections.

Jan 22, 2008
Update......
Throttle control - As mentioned previously, throttle vibrates off. I removed the compass and the tension adjustment screw is missing. There wasn't any other cable tension device that I could find. Are the screws under the compass available anywhere?
RESPONSE
I think there is a tension control for the throttle at the other end of the cable on the engine

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020
There should be a sensitivity setting that you can change. My Ramarine autopilot default setting is 5; I set it to 3 and it definitely reduces the over-corrections.
Thanks. I have to admit I haven't read the manual yet. I'll check that out.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My Ramarine autopilot default setting is 5; I set it to 3 and it definitely reduces the over-corrections.
You can actually set 2 sea states for the AutoPilot.
Depending on your Raymarine Model, a simple button combination that switches the Settings back and forth.
Jim...

Jan 22, 2008
There are a few things that need tending to. I plan to have all new canvas made. Sailpack, dodger, and bimini.
John
A sailpack would be a great idea, I usually sail with limited crew and having the sail fall into a sailpack as we come into our harbour would be great. We are currently just using a lazy jack. As for the dodger and bimini, the Chesapeake can get pretty hot so a bimini is a real necessity. But I'd wait on the dodger. We've sailed the bay since 88 and have gotten a few waves over the side, but I really enjoy the fresh air, unobstructed view and openness of our H34 without a dodger.