New owner of a 1975 S2 8.0C

Jul 13, 2018
S2 8.0C Johnson Lake
Renovating, refit, or redo don't quite describe it. Reconstruct is probably more descriptive. She needs lots of attention, and that's why I got her. A good foundation was first. Her hull is sound but the cabin sole was soft so I drilled some observation holes in the floor and discovered that this lead ballast boat is full of 7 1/2 size lead BB shot. The floor was saturated and rotted so I removed the floor. The BBs are held over the keel by two 1x3s and they're rotted. Some of the BBs are loose but most are stuck together, either corroded or maybe eboxied. The 2x6 below the mast support was rotted as well. This cavity with the BBs, above the keel, is full of water. Ive dug out as many BBs as I can to get to the water but I don't know how deep to dig? Has anybody worked out this problem in the past? I'd like to be able to get to ALL the water as well as design some way to drain the water in the future. Any ideas?

Jul 13, 2018
S2 8.0C Johnson Lake
Great idea. I envisioned drilling a hole, thru the lead, to the bottom and placing a stainless steal tube with a screen or small holes in the bottom so I could drain it. Your pump idea would work to pump out the water. Thanks again. Any idea how deep I'd need to drill?

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Welcome to our world. I'm not sure what to call our project either, maybe re manufacture. Where is Johnson Lake?

I'll bet a 1975 is really a 26 Mid. What is your serial number? Our 26 Mid is SSU27040M75J and was supposedly the last one built in 1975. Then they changed to metric in 1976. This is according to much research but may still be incorrect.

Do you have shoal (ours) or full keel? As far as the keel goes, if it's on a trailer, I would drill a hole or two into the bottom of the keel (or low on the side) from the outside, then repair once it dried out. Post some pictures or start a blog on the project

Here is our blog on TOPOSS but it hasn't been updated lately. Maybe Lee will take some pictures tomorrow and update it.
http://thisoldpieceofshit.blogspot.com/

Jul 13, 2018
S2 8.0C Johnson Lake
Welcome to our world. I'm not sure what to call our project either, maybe re manufacture. Where is Johnson Lake?

I'll bet a 1975 is really a 26 Mid. What is your serial number? Our 26 Mid is SSU27040M75J and was supposedly the last one built in 1975. Then they changed to metric in 1976. This is according to much research but may still be incorrect.

Do you have shoal (ours) or full keel? As far as the keel goes, if it's on a trailer, I would drill a hole or two into the bottom of the keel (or low on the side) from the outside, then repair once it dried out. Post some pictures or start a blog on the project

Here is our blog on TOPOSS but it hasn't been updated lately. Maybe Lee will take some pictures tomorrow and update it.
http://thisoldpieceofshit.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the reply. Johnson Lake is South of Lexington NB. My mom lives on the lake and has a large storage building that houses the S2. My owners manual says the S2 was built in October, 1975, but the Srl # is SSU27062M76C. What does that tell you? I tried to find out what the Srl# told me but haven't found the key. Thanks for the pics as well. Jack

Jul 13, 2018
S2 8.0C Johnson Lake
Rick, How do you know if your boat was produced first or was #100. Also, I think you two live in Flagstaff? Where do you keep your boat? I make it to AZ each year as I go to Congress to do some metal detecting. Jack

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Hi Jack, The serial number is most of the time in order on the same model boat. My boat is 27040 where 27 is the model ie 8.0C (this could designate an aft cockpit 8.0 also maybe though I read somewhere they were 26) and 040 is the sequence of build. Yours is 062 so 21 boats were built between us if they kept things in order which most manufactures did. It is not unusual to build several hulls while the mold is in the shop and fit them out then store them until they have buyers, on high production boats.

Flagstaff is way to cold for us. We like to sail all winter so we are at Lake Havasu. The only lake in the west that keeps water in it all of the time. For the most part the water level varies less than 3' all year. When you get the boat going come on down in Feb as we have a little gathering of sailboats.

Is your boat the shoal keel or deep keel? What engine do you have? There were 3 options back then.

Her is a video of what the boat can do from a guy in the Great Lakes.

Jul 13, 2018
S2 8.0C Johnson Lake
Rick, Its a shoal keel with a retractable centerboard. I don't think the centerboard has been used from the looks of it. The motor was removed and it is set up for an outboard. Since we wouldn't have the boat in the water for a year or two, we didn't buy the motor so I can use that money for the reconstruction! The motor pushing her was a 35 evinrude. He said it really made her scoot! I'll keep Lake Havasu in mind. For a short period of time, my wife lived there when she was younger. Jack

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I sent you a private message with my email so we might discuss the boat some more.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
I drilled holes in the bottom of the keel and the water slowly drained for weeks. I then enclosed the keel area and with an electric heater kept a dry temp. of about 80 to 90 f for a couple of days. When dry I poured a plastic driveway sealer into the keel and kept it warm until the sealer ozzed out the drain holes. (the sealer sets up but remains somewhat flexible) After cooling for a couple of days I cover the top with glass and also built a couple of stringers from side to side. (the front under where the compression post will hit the floor./ I sealed bilge area with gell coat and patched the drain holes. The floor should have a couple of hatches and the center rear left open to allow a bilge pump hose to exit or and water to drain to the bilge.

Apr 10, 2019
S2 8.0C Back Yard
Do you have pictures? Sounds interesting. I have just a shoal keel. would love to see the centerboard area from the top of the keel.