New owner of 381 Clipper from 1999, 3 cabins & 2 toilets where aft toilet doesn´t have a holding tank...

Nov 18, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 381 Clipper Gothenburg
Hi!
A new member in this forum and just an owner of a 381 Clipper from 1999 with 3 cabins and 2 toilets. Anyone in this forum with experience in where to best place a separate holding tank or where to place a common tank?
regards
Dan

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
HI Dan...welcome aboard!

Unless the two heads are no more than about 10'' apart, I'd add a separate tank for the second toilet. Reason: 6' is about as far as bowl contents can travel from a manual toilet in the amount of time anyone wants to spend pumping it without a lot of help from gravity and a toilet discharge line that's fairly straight. So long run from toilet to tank leaves flushes sitting in the hose till it get pushed by the next flush.

As for where best to put it...Which toilet--forward or aft-- needs a tank, and where in the boat is it?

--Peggie

Nov 18, 2019
HI Dan...welcome aboard!

Unless the two heads are no more than about 10'' apart, I'd add a separate tank for the second toilet. Reason: 6' is about as far as bowl contents can travel from a manual toilet in the amount of time anyone wants to spend pumping it without a lot of help from gravity and a toilet discharge line that's fairly straight. So long run from toilet to tank leaves flushes sitting in the hose till it get pushed by the next flush.

As for where best to put it...Which toilet--forward or aft-- needs a tank, and where in the boat is it?

--Peggie
Hi Peggie!

Thanks for a quick response. I found however a drawing in the owners guide on this site in an appendix which describes placing a tank at transom for the aft toilet, see attached document. Question is if this is what I should go for? Based on what you are saying also convert the toilets to electric ones as well.

/Dan

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I wouldn't put the tank at the transom for a couple of reasons...it would require a U turn from the toilet, the distance is marginal without that turn, and venting it out the transom would make aerobic tank maintenance--essential to odor prevention--difficult if not impossible.

I'd like to put the tank forward of the toilet, but that appears to be the galley, which makes it a bad idea.

Where relative to the toilet is the forward tank? I'm hoping it's next to the toilet about where your green line is. If so, there appears to be a similar space in the aft head.

As for upgrading to electric toilets, most macerating electric toilets have the same 6' limitation. The exceptions are the high-end all china "thrones." The best--the Raritan Marine Elegance--is made in the US. Most of the rates of exchange with USD plus shipping costs would make the price too high to be worth it IMO. However there are a couple of decent ones made in Europe. I can recommend one or two when I know where you are. You indicate Sweden, but your command of English and choice of phrasing appears to be American.

--Peggie

Nov 18, 2019
I wouldn't put the tank at the transom for a couple of reasons...it would require a U turn from the toilet, the distance is marginal without that turn, and venting it out the transom would make aerobic tank maintenance--essential to odor prevention--difficult if not impossible.

I'd like to put the tank forward of the toilet, but that appears to be the galley, which makes it a bad idea.

Where relative to the toilet is the forward tank? I'm hoping it's next to the toilet about where your green line is. If so, there appears to be a similar space in the aft head.

As for upgrading to electric toilets, most macerating electric toilets have the same 6' limitation. The exceptions are the high-end all china "thrones." The best--the Raritan Marine Elegance--is made in the US. Most of the rates of exchange with USD plus shipping costs would make the price too high to be worth it IMO. However there are a couple of decent ones made in Europe. I can recommend one or two when I know where you are. You indicate Sweden, but your command of English and choice of phrasing appears to be American.

--Peggie
You flattering me regarding the language..... must be too many American movies :).
But I live in Gothenburg on the west coast of Sweden.

Regarding forward tank, it is placed in the salong beneath the sofa and between forward toilet and salong table. My hope in reaching out in this forum was to find a similar boat like mine but with this problem solved..... Without a well working tank for the aft toilet it´s a bit useless....

Dan

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I suspect that anyone here with a similar boat has put the tank at the transom...and that may turn out to be the only place Beneteau has left available for it. Sanitation plumbing is not one of the things that any boat builder does very well. But I'm not giving up finding a better location yet....and I'd much rather talk than type. If you have WhatsApp, send me a private message and we can exchange cell numbers.

--Peggie

Jul 11, 2012
Beneteau 381 Lions Head,Ontario
Hi Dan , I'm the owner of Beneteau Oceanis 381 but it is the 2 cabin 1 after head version. The holding tank on this model is in the cockpit locker. The Cockpit locker on the Starboard side is huge but the holding tank is only 15 US gals and it sat on a shelf in the locker. I have now taken the 15 gal tank out and installed a 39 gal tank which now sits down on the floor in the locker and secured so it dosn't move around in heavy weather. You may have a locker on the Starboard side but not as big due to yours having 2 after cabins but there may be room to install a holding tank. Is your after head on the starboard side of the boat, mine is and right next to the cockpit locker. Some ideas to think about.
Regards Terry

Nov 18, 2019
Hi Dan , I'm the owner of Beneteau Oceanis 381 but it is the 2 cabin 1 after head version. The holding tank on this model is in the cockpit locker. The Cockpit locker on the Starboard side is huge but the holding tank is only 15 US gals and it sat on a shelf in the locker. I have now taken the 15 gal tank out and installed a 39 gal tank which now sits down on the floor in the locker and secured so it dosn't move around in heavy weather. You may have a locker on the Starboard side but not as big due to yours having 2 after cabins but there may be room to install a holding tank. Is your after head on the starboard side of the boat, mine is and right next to the cockpit locker. Some ideas to think about.
Regards Terry
Thanks Terry,
I will need to do some clever thinking during winter how to best put a solution in place until summertime. it is no use having 2 toilets if you can´t use them :)

regards

Dan

Jul 11, 2012
Beneteau 381 Lions Head,Ontario
Hi Dan when I go to the boat which I do over the winter I will take some pictures of the 39 gal tank that I put in and send them to you. It may give you some ideas.
Happy Holidays to you and your family

Nov 18, 2019
Hi Terry!

That would be great :) .
I just spent some hours today at the boat trying to find a way to place the hose without distrying the boat but it feels like a challengein finding the right place as well as the right route. So let´s see what your photos inspire to....

regards

Dan

Hi Dan when I go to the boat which I do over the winter I will take some pictures of the 39 gal tank that I put in and send them to you. It may give you some ideas.
Happy Holidays to you and your family