New owner of 1985 Hunter 28.5

Jun 6, 2021
Hunter 28.5 Rancho Palos Verdes
Hello all,
I am a new owner of a 1985 Hunter 28.5 in Wilmington, CA. The boat is in pretty good shape for her age, and seems to have been well maintained by the previous owner. I am very glad to have found this forum and I know I will have many questions going forward as I get to know her better. I am currently trying to trace the plumbing on the boat and identify all the thru-hull fittings and valves. If anyone has a list or diagram of the thru-hulls on the 28.5 and their purpose, I would much appreciate it.
Look forward to being an active member of this group and interacting with you all.
-Faris

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new 28.5!!

Please refer to the plumbing diagram on page 21 in this link to the owner's manual Hunter_28.5_76385259.pdf (sailboatowners.com) . With the diagram you can trace them out and then make a list of the thru-hull service, diameter, valve type (ball, gate, etc.) and manufacturer. Even my newer Hunter 386 and 56 did not come with a detailed list of thru-hulls, only a diagram with each one labeled, albeit some services were not included on the boat if the original owner did not purchase a gen set or AC.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Dec 27, 2014
Hunter 28.5 Salt Spring Island
You should join the Hunter 28.5 Owners FB page. It has years of problems, fixes, tips, and otherwise fantastic info on your new boat. Grab a beer, go back several years, and scroll forward. It will save you time, frustration, and money. Well maybe not money, there are lots of ideas that will tempt you to open your wallet.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Congrats on your boat. These are great vintage hunters. I have the H31 (middle sister) and others in this forum with the H34. Lots of good info here and especially the downloads section.

Jun 6, 2021
Hunter 28.5 Rancho Palos Verdes
Thank you all this was very helpful. looking forward to the beer and learning more from previous posts on this forum and the FB group.

rhwins

Dec 8, 2007
Hunter 28.5 Long Beach, CA
Hi, cousin! I just bought a '87 in Dana Point and will be docking in a San Pedro's Cabrillo's marina. First job is to stop a diesel fuel leak by accessing the lift pump. Going to cut an access hatch through the head and replace it with an electric fuel pump. How are you getting along?