New Owner O’Day 23

Dec 12, 2020
O’Day 24 Oneonta
Hello,
I am the excited new owner of an O’Day 23 on a trailer. I feel like a kid that got a bike for Christmas, spring seems so far off. Since I am working remotely, I am considering trailering this new girl south until I am warm enough... then finding a friendly marina and putting in for a month or more... ah the possibilities... I have to take the mast off the boat and check on the condition of the Genoa, it was stored outside on the furler for at least 2 years. I have a hanked on working jib and a hanked on storm jib, so I may just use them. Anyone know what is involved in removing the furler?
Jay

Attachments

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Depends on the furler to be honest. But, they all are basically integral with your forestay so you may be stuck with it for a while. Has it always been stored without a cover? Have you checked the deck for leaks? I owned an O' Day for a few years, they all leak. Check for water penetration, especially the chain plates, toe rails, and under the mast step. You do not want water getting in to that cored deck and then freezing. Good luck and welcome to the asylum.

Dec 12, 2020
O’Day 24 Oneonta
CB,
I didn’t see any signs of water damage inside or topside. As far as the furler, if I have replace a forestay, I would be ok with that... honestly, that would probably be the best option, then if I want to go back to furler, I’d have that all set and ready to go....as far as a cover, I have no idea. I will certainly be all over her to keep on top of things. And a cover is on the wish list...(long wish list)...
JC

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
A lot of furlers have the forestay running through them. If you want to remove it pull the forestay and disconnect other lines. Unless the genoa is in really bad shape I'd try using the furler

There should be a halyard to raise and lower the genoa. If you use it, then you wont have to remove the furler

As mentioned before, the O'Day's can be leaky boats. According to a sales brochure I have they used the latest sealing technology called silicone caulk. Unfortunately silicone caulk will leak much sooner than butyl or 4200/5200. So far my biggest leaks have been in the keel (PO screwed a bilge pump to the bilge, water got in and froze), windows, winch, mast step and a bunch of random hardware that previous owners didnt seal correctly.

If your boat is in your backyard I would just use a tarp. If it's stored in a place you don't have much access to I'd be inclined to skip it unless you have the time to build a proper frame to support it. If tarps aren't done correctly, it can sag under the weight of the snow or water in the cockpit. Water weighs about 62lbs per cubic foot.

Dec 12, 2020
O’Day 24 Oneonta
Thank you Mayhem, I crawled in the boat after the snow melt and did find some leaks. I should probably figure a way to seal everything topside...
JC

Jun 29, 2010
Thank you Mayhem, I crawled in the boat after the snow melt and did find some leaks. I should probably figure a way to seal everything topside...
JC
Read this article Rebedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape - Marine How To and then buy his product, https://shop.marinehowto.com/products/bed-it-tape. Nothing, I mean nothing will work better. Don't think about 4200 or the like. Never use 5200 as it will never come off again. Use Main Sail's Butyl Tape, accept no substitute as you will then be redoing everything a second or third time if you do.

Dec 12, 2020
O’Day 24 Oneonta
CB,
Thank you! Very informative. I have viewed other recommendations by this site and really like the information and format. One fitting at a time... lol
JC

Jun 29, 2010
CB,
Thank you! Very informative. I have viewed other recommendations by this site and really like the information and format. One fitting at a time... lol
JC
Depending on where you are rebedding, check for wood core. O'Day usually has a balsa cored deck. You might have to over drill, fill with thickened epoxy, re-drill, and mount. I did that for the toe rails on my old 25, yes, it took a while. Had to replace core under the mast step. It may be a bit of work but, if you do it right, it will last dang near forever. Good luck most here have had to do similar work at some point.

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
Rebedding all of the deck hardware after epoxy isolating the holes is important for virtually every old boat. In my experience, O’Days are no more prone to leaking than any other older boat. I have rebedded almost everything on my 23 and will do the same with the next boat I buy. If you do a thorough rebedding (with epoxy isolation) then your deck core may stay dry for decades. The same process would be needed for a Pearson, Tartan, etc.

The challenge is that the epoxy work needs to be done in warmish weather. See West Systems website for specifics. And I agree with cb that MaineSail’s methods are the way to go: epoxy isolate, countersink, use good backing plates and seal with butyl tape. I use a routing bit on a dremel to remove wood between the FG skins rather than overdrilling.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2014
It does take a long time. A helper is invaluable so that one person can turn the nuts below while the person above holds the bolts. Crowfoot sockets can be very helpful for reaching nuts that are in tricky locations. I can't imagine trying to do this outside in upstate NY right now. Is that where you are? If you're able to work from Florida maybe you want to tow the boat down to a marina workyard there and do the work in a warm place before you start sailing. I strongly recommend taking the time to do this thoroughly with epoxy isolation, countersinking, backing plates and butyl tape. That way you'll do it once and should not have to deal with leaks from deck fittings for a long time.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm in Chicago. We got an amazing deal on heated storage this year. My most useful tools at the moment are an impact drill/driver, wobble extensions, a flat piece of metal and a panel removal tool. The latter are useful for getting fasteners off when you only have access to one side at a time

1609894512771.png

Oct 20, 2014
Heated storage. Nice! In that case, I recommend doing it as I laid out above. Doing it right will take some time but be worth it. Also check the windows for leaks. Good luck.

Dec 12, 2020
O’Day 24 Oneonta
Hello Everyone,
I am sorry it’s been so long, but I have been busy on the boat. Took everything that comes out, out... washed cushion covers and cushions... made a template for the storage locker covers, designed a shore power system using a Smartplug connection and a Sterling Procharge ultra battery charger with a Renogy 200aH house battery, took the outboard to the local dealer to ensure top running condition, removed the furler from the mast and brought it inside, and figured out how to step the mast by myself with the help of YouTube. Can’t wait to get on the water!

Oct 20, 2014
Hello Everyone,
I am sorry it’s been so long, but I have been busy on the boat. Took everything that comes out, out... washed cushion covers and cushions... made a template for the storage locker covers, designed a shore power system using a Smartplug connection and a Sterling Procharge ultra battery charger with a Renogy 200aH house battery, took the outboard to the local dealer to ensure top running condition, removed the furler from the mast and brought it inside, and figured out how to step the mast by myself with the help of YouTube. Can’t wait to get on the water!
Great. I hope you enjoy it.

Mar 10, 2021
O'Day 23 Pop Top US
Great. I hope you enjoy it.
Hi there! I too recently purchased a 1973 23' O'day Pop top and I'm curious if you can help me with the necessary steps, video or link that explains how to properly pop the top? Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!