New Owner - Engine Size?

Mar 6, 2019
Catalina Capri 22 Marblehead MA
Hello C22 Owners,
I just bought a 1986 fin keel version up here in New England. Very excited as it is seemingly in great shape.

I have a question for the forum. Is there an optimal outboard engine size for this boat? I have 4HP but I am wondering in certain conditions like opposing wind and current with a full crew, if this may be a bit on the light side. I don't want to carry too much weight aft so don't want to go any higher in HP than needed.

If anyone has anything to share about this topic I would appreciate it.

Thanks all
James

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
4 hp works for me. Mine is an '02 two stroke mercury; weighs a bit less than 40 lbs and motors me down the Danvers river into Salem harbor at season's beginning. OTOH, if I were shopping for a replacement, I'd look closely at a long shaft 5 or 6 hp four stroke. The 50 % weight increase might be worth while given the benefits of external fuel tank and some sort of sailboat-geared prop.
Given that you have a 4 hp, consider trying it before replacement.
Wooster who moors off Waterside Cemetery in Salem

Mar 6, 2019
Catalina Capri 22 Marblehead MA
Sounds good and thanks for your reply. Yes, I think giving it a try makes sense befoe springing for another engine. Will keep an eye out for you this summer. Perhaps we can grab a beer at some point to talk about the boat. Cheers

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you are moored in Marblehead and do mostly day sails, then I'd think it was fine. If you're going to try motoring to and from Provincetown, then I'd get a 4 stroke and something with some more umpph...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
seems the "default" is the Tohatsu 6 hp Sailpro 20" long shaft....(retired my 4.5hp merc 2 stroke for one)...suggest you play with what you have for now, will be fine...eventually you'll want something with a bit more "balls", quieter, and less hassle with fuel (mix)....

Jul 28, 2016
Where do you sail? Inland lake or ocean?

When I bought my CP22 it had a 3.5HP Tohatsu. I primarily sail/race on Lake St. Clair and Lake Huron. I felt the 3.5 was an little undersized for my needs. The guy that I bought the boat from was on a reservoir in Ohio. For that water the 3.5 was fine. I opted to upgrade to a Honda 5HP long shaft. It is heavier, but we can counter that weight a bit with crew placement. I like that the 5HP has a true reverse - the 3.5 had a powerhead that would rotate 360°. I steer with the tiller only.

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
Will keep an eye out for you this summer. Perhaps we can grab a beer at some point to talk about the boat. Cheers
Let's do it; maybe a rendez-vous at cocktail cove late spring ?
Jon, alias Wooster, alias Mr Skeet, alias anything you please

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
I just bought a new 2017 Tohatsu 6hp Sailpro and it has a lever on the shaft that you can use to lock it straight.