new owner 216 western lake ontario

Oct 15, 2019
Hunter 216 St Catharines
Just picked up a new (to us) 216. Seemed like the perfect daysailer for us. Be interesting to see how it handles in the big lake. It's in pretty decent shape being a rarely used cottage boat but we have to replace sails. No mods yet but a couple of winter projects in the works.

I like the open cockpit so I'm reluctant to put in a traveler so I'm looking at a bridle arrangement.

I kinda hate the tiller... too wide and can't tilt out of the way so I moving behind the sheet when tacking is awkward. I'm thinking of building a new one. anybody else bothered with this and has better/simpler solution?

Also I disliked the main sheet cleat so close to the cockpit floor, it makes cleating and releasing the sheet a pain. I raised the block to the seat height with a simple lashing to test it out and find the increased height makes it easier to cleat or release.

Still experimenting with rake and pre-bend. The helm is too neutral for my taste so I know it has to come back some more. What's the consensus on rake and pre-bend? Are the user manual guidelines good? the sailmaker wants to know the amount of pre-bend.

I also find the vang purchase pretty light for windy days. What are people using?

I am using the rear most hole in the mast plate as per instructions, but can't get the mast tight to the deck opening so the hatch cover won't fit and the mast seems to move a lot. Is this a common problem? If I use a forward hole will this work or does it create too much rake by putting the mast base too far forward?

Jack

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome Cat_hunter. A brilliant choice to join SBO. This group of sailors know their stuff, are generous in sharing and have lots of fun too.
I don't know much, on the other hand, yet they put up with me all the same.
One thing I do know is, we here at SBO like looking at each other's boats and admiring them, we love following along with each other's projects and adventures, so pictures are always welcome.
It's good to welcome you aboard.

I'm looking at a bridle arrangement
I kinda hate the tiller... too wide and can't tilt out of the way so I moving behind the sheet when tacking is awkward. I'm thinking of building a new one. anybody else bothered with this and has better/simpler solution?
Also I disliked the main sheet cleat so close to the cockpit floor, it makes cleating and releasing the sheet a pain. I raised the block to the seat height with a simple lashing to test it out and find the increased height makes it easier to cleat or release.
It sounds like you might have the solution to your tiller problem by changing the sheeting arrangement. You are already planning to move the height and add some form of traveler. If you change to end-of-boom sheeting and adjust the control end forward as well as higher, perhaps you will have more room to climb around the tiller without having to modify it. That funky wide tiller looks like a great place for a gimbled drink holder.:beer:

A traveler will also help relieve some of the pressure on the vang by keeping the sheet angle under the boom. This will make the vang a little redundant when reaching. When sheeting out for running, you want the vang loose anyhow, to help belly out the sail for efficient down wind performance. A harness traveler, like a Crosby rig, is a decent alternative. I suggest something with more control like an adjustable harness where you can pull one side tight or let it out to changing your sheet angle. More like a track traveler.

I couldn't answer any questions about your pre-bend. I know nothing about the 216. I feel it is like rake, somewhat adjustable to sailor's preference. Until you know how you sail your boat, go with the published specs and then experiment.

It's good to welcome you aboard, Cat_hunter, and good weather.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
@Cat_hunter

As a fellow 216 owner I’m sure you will find lots of info on this site. Most of it is in this Smaller Boat section but also in Daysailors and more general forums. I suggest you use the search bar at the top of the page but you could try this one first as it’s most relevant to your post.