New owner (1981} C22 Misc questions

Nov 9, 2022
Catalina 30 Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
1. Is using Dawn dish washing liquid recommended for boat washing? Is it really worth buying what's labeled as a boat wash soap?
2. My rudder doesn't have a lock. The upper pintle? Has a drilled hole for I imagine a split ring. Is there a fitting that's better?.
3. Most important.I'm buying a new 4 stroke motor and not sure a long shaft is necessary. When the mount is fully lowered, from the 2 round impressions on the block where the old motor attached to the bottom of the boat is about 14 inches. So far I keep reading get the l

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
If you're buying new, you won't regret a long or extra-long shaft outboard. The Tohatsu 6 HP SailPro (25") is the standard everything else competes with on a C-22. Reasonably light, at <= 60 lbs. In calm winds, it pushes the boat to hull speed at about half throttle (and easily to hull speed even against a headwind). We average less than 1/2 gallon per hour (probably about 1/4, but I haven't ever measured precisely enough to be confident in that number).

You'll find other good options (most of them also manufactured by Tohatsu), but that's the one that you'll find recommended the most. And we've definitely been happy with ours.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
1. Is using Dawn dish washing liquid recommended for boat washing? Is it really worth buying what's labeled as a boat wash soap?
I use Dawn in the early spring for washing the hull before polishing and waxing it. After it’s waxed it’s best not to use detergent based soap like Dawn, as it will remove the wax. A wax safe car or boat soap is better then.

Nov 9, 2022
Thanks Gene and everyone else who answered my questions about washing and pushing my new old toy. I am convinced of the long shaft and possibly the XL Jack

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
2. My rudder doesn't have a lock. The upper pintle? Has a drilled hole for I imagine a split ring. Is there a fitting that's better?.
I'm not sure if it is the same thing that you're talking about, but I drilled a hole in the rudder on the recommendation from another sailor to keep the rudder down when under sail. The idea is that you put a small wooden dowel rod in the hole to keep it from tipping up while under sail, and you choose something that will break away if you hit something, as opposed to steel which would break the rudder. The metal clamping wheel doesn't have enough grip strength on it's own. I don't remember taking pictures of that project, but I will try to get a photo next time I'm out.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Use a nylon 1/4 bolt with wingnut to keep from backing out, cheap at about buck or so and breaks with less damage than wood and is more elastic in less catastrophic touches with bottom or objects.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
I suspect Q2 was referring to preventing the rudder from lifting off the pintles.. as opposed to the rudder flipping up under way. A circlip would work but they are awkward to install/remove esp if you're taking the rudder off frequently. A small pushpin on a string attached to the transom would be more expedient.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Dawn is good, 30 Second for decks is better, oxalic acid for the stubborn stuff on the topsides (don't get it on your galv trailer!)
Sailpro 6 long shaft
Yes, do something for that rudder, I once found mine on the bottom after a blow, fortunately in slip, that spring steel thing is not trustworthy on the factory rudder!

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Thanks Gene and everyone else who answered my questions about washing and pushing my new old toy. I am convinced of the long shaft and possibly the XL Jack
First congratulations on your new boat. You'll love her! The difference between a long shaft motor and an XL long shaft motor is five (5) inches. The Tohatsu 6 HP SailPro that everyone raves about has an XL 25" shaft. On my first C22, I started with a Sears standard shaft outboard and when I switched to a Mercury Sail Power with the 25" shaft, the difference was like night and day. Some folks here are happy with a 20" long shaft but on Waffle House, there's a new Tohatsu SailPro with a 25" shaft waiting to be mounted. I wouldn't even consider a 20" long shaft when 25" is an option.

George

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I'm an outlier. I have a 2-stroke mercury 9.9 and love it. It's heavy, but after servicing starts on the first or second pull. People say it's too heavy (and it is heavy) but I like knowing if I decided to go out when the wind was too stiff (it happens) I will make it all the way back to my mooring against the wind and the waves. It's just a long-shaft but, I will concede that if I had to buy a new motor, I'd go with the 6hp Tohatsu XL.

The prop on the motor also makes a huge difference. Our boats are displacement hulls and will never go up on plane like the john / bass boats and things people normally mount small motors to.

Nov 9, 2022
Thanks. I have one more issue to resolve and the 1981 C22 will be on my lot. I have a 2023 Tohatsu Sail Pro XL shaft lined up. Glad you recommend it!

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
I have a 2022 Tohatsu 6hp 25" as others have mentioned. Only have used it for about a year but it is a great investment. I am in the south San Francisco Bay and have not had any issues with the chop and currents to feel that I am underpowered. I am sure on a lake it would just purr. There are other great motors out there too, but im not sure if any are better at fuel efficiency as this little guy for its performance.