New outboard?

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
The outboard that came with my boat is a 9.9 hp 1992 yamaha 2 stroke long shaft. I rebuilt the carb because it was leaking but I found out its a diagram that cost $50. It seems to run fine other than the carb leak, but I think I will be getting a new outboard. I just want the confidence that the motor won't leave me stranded. This current outboard is in great shape but I want to be overly cautious before I take the family out for a sail. My boat is a 26D, so what is the recommended HP , shaft length, brand and a decent place to purchase at a good price?

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
What is your model number? I found parts lists for a number of yamaha outboards at Cowley marine - none of the diaphragms are over 10$. Reed valves are more expensive. In some cases you can find an aftermarket carb for less than a repair kit.

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
1992 yamaha t9.9 elhq. It’s the diaphragm on the bottom of the carb. Part 6G8-14368-02-00 -

on the other front I’m looking at a tohatsu 6hp 20” shaft. Thoughts?

Dec 2, 2003
Sorry # crowley marine. Yes a bit pricier. -32$

Most with 26’ sailboats seem to run 8-10hp motors. One of the major determinants will be your primary sailing grounds and how you use your boat and motor. We have a Yamaha 4stroke 9.9 on ours and have been very happy with it. Some ocean sailing, Great Lakes as well as lakes closer to home. Generally speaking for most sailboat outboards the longer the shaft the better. Even with an extra long shaft we have had ours come out of the water in some lake conditions.

Some lakes no longer allow the use of 2stoke outboards.

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
i ordered the part and hopefully that will fix the leak and then I can really test the motor.

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
got the parts in and the motor fired up in less than 2 seconds. No leaks and it seemed to run well. A couple of times it died out as it seemed to run out of fuel. I would give the bulb a squeeze, hit the start button and it would start right back up. I guess this means the fuel pump could be bad? Also how long can I let it idle without doing any harm? The tell tale stream was warm after about 5 mins of idle but never got actually hot.

Dec 2, 2003
If it didn’t die all the time I wouldn’t necessarily jump to a fuel pump being the cause. Depending on the age of the tank and hose components you could have a small air leak causing it to starve for fuel - check hose and any connections for holes, fit and if they have any cracked o rings etc. ours had a similar condition when an in-line fuel filter canister wasn’t sealing properly.

As for motor temp at the tell tale I wouldnt normally expect that to get overly hot even when the motor is working fairly hard.

How long did you want to idle it for? I wouldn’t leave it ideling all day as it serves no purpose and if it doesn’t get fully up to operating temp could cause build up of carbon deposits etc. For more reasonable periods - say 5-10 minutes is fine for warmup or longer if you need it on standby for particular boat manoeuvres and as long as you need to do to do any tests or adjustments.

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
I have a 1981 Honda 7.5 HP. Great engine, however if any port has blockage it will start and die. Start run for a while and die. Not start. Ethanol murders the carb. I just had a war with the carb. The port from air intake to idler screw was clean but had a small bug wing in it. I cleaned it 4 times before a small wire down the port found the wing. It runs nicely and we no longer at war and quietly motor in and out of the marina. I have checked everything each time and the carberator has been the problem each time. I thought I had lost the war until I found the bug wing. I love the engine again.

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
I tested it again to day while I had a few other projects going. I let it idle and it never showed the issues again, and seems to be running better. I think I am going to attempt to mount it as a kicker on my 18' Blazer Bay CC and put it through it paces. This way I will know I can trust it.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I understand new outboards, Yamaha in particular, are sold out. My yard told me delivery dates are running into next year. (Not that I need one but others in the marina do)

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I understand new outboards, Yamaha in particular, are sold out. My yard told me delivery dates are running into next year. (Not that I need one but others in the marina do)
Yup. Shopping for one for my 13' Boston Whaler. Deliveries are projected in the fall.

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
I have a fully restored MacGregor 25 that I’ve owned since I had her built back in 1983. Originally, my outboard was a Honda 7.5 which was a great engine for the boat. However, it was not something that would be possible to rehabilitate. So I bought a new, Honda 9.9 , electric start, long shaft which is 4 cycle and perfect for use in Monterey Bay where she is berthed. The only negative thing about the engine is that with a weight of almost 100 pounds, it is somewhat challenging to negotiate raising and lowering it while underway on the Bay.
Any suggestions are always welcomed.

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
I add another pulley every ten years. I added another pulley last year. I now have a three pulley system. Still running a Honda 7.5 HP.