New Outboard on Order

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I have decided to pull my Honda 8 hp outboard and work on it at home. I am getting a Mercury 5 hp propane that is thirty pounds lighter and two 11 lb tanks will fit in the H240 fuel compartment. I have ordered a sling for the Honda and plan to back into my slip and maneuver the stern into a corner to facilitate an easier pull. It is just too hard on my back to work on the Honda with the boat in the water. I have never had an engine on a sailboat and I wouldn't have one now except that it is required by Aqualand in order to navigate the marina.Fuel Compartment b.jpgFuel Compartment a.jpg
My son Shawn asked his friend Peter to help me with changing out the engines. I pulled the new Mercury to the slip, hoisted it off the mount using the mast support pole and the main sheet blocks, and peter swung it on to the dock. We then lowered the Mercury onto the mount. I will have the propane tank filled today and move her to the new slip this week.

I went to the lake this morning and packed up the power cord and dock lines. The new Mercury started right up just like my old Marquis (always had good luck with Mercury's). I putted right over to the new dock. It is a much nicer neighborhood; The whole dock is new as it was replaced several year ago after the micro burst destroyed it along with many boats. She looks right at home and not only do I have electricity but also water. What a country!.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
You'll love it! switching from gas to propane on my 216 was a great move, no more gas issues from not using the engine for a while and like you, saved about 30lbs with the new engine

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Just make sure the locker where you are putting the propane is well vented at the bottom of the locker. Propane being heavier than air can and will find its way to the bilge if not properly vented.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Both gasoline and propane fumes are heavier than air, if your fuel locker is vented for gasoline it will be fine for propane, just make sure.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Good advice on venting for gas locker. Please make sure no electrical to include batteries in locker. As for propane, make sure of availability in the area where you plan to sail. As for gas, suggest ethanol free gas only

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
An electric outboard makes a lot of sense for just getting in and out of a marina. Maintenance free and light weight.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I've been told a separate propane locker may be required by law in some regions. I'm not sure on the specifics though. Have you considered a trolling motor to meet your marina's guidelines?

Jun 12, 2021
Most of the adequate sized electric motors are 24 volt and I currently only have 12 volt system. The propane is the most efficient and offers greatest range if there is a issue with the sails. I have two 10lb tanks on order from Amazon that are 9" x 17.5" They will easily fit in the gasoline locker at the stern that is open to the out side by over 10" x 10" cut out to allow tilting the outboard forward. Luckily I live in Georgia and not Massachusetts or California; God only know what those regulations are like.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021
I have the motor installed and working. I have installed two 11 lb propane tanks. They hold two and a half gallons each. I support the tops with a velcro strap hanging from the bolts on the tiller post support. The straps come with a square loop that I fit over a aluminum tube and hung from the two existing bolts (they were long and were 3/8" x 16 tpi.IMG_20211107_080351339.jpgIMG_20211107_080343004.jpgIMG_20211108_145841896_HDR.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: