New outboard and new adjustable bracket

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Other than trying to contort yourself or utilizing a small child to reach the bolts my only suggestion would be to cut open a port in the cockpit fiberglass liner. The hole could be latter covered by a frame and waterproof screw in lid or a fiberglass repair patch. If your new engine being a 4 stroke is considerably heavier than the boats original mount consideration perhaps you may consider the use of a backing plate or much larger washers.

geola1

Jan 24, 2019
catalina 25 Rathbun lake
Excellent thoughts! The picture I sent of the gas storage area is where I was going to put an 8 inch cover that screws in and seals. What about a backing plate to cover all four screws. Two of them will be new holes. The new 8hp will weigh 99 lbs.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Access looks pretty good assuming you can reach up there. If someone put those bolts in, you should be able to get them out. I'd probably use a ratchet wrench or ratchet with a deep well socket. You might need a second person on the outside to keep the bolts from moving. What's preventing you from accessing the bolts exactly?

Use some bigger and thicker backing plates. The fender washer on the lower right is a bit deformed. Seeing as how you're on an inland Lake with freshwater, I would use unistrut washers. They're cheap, very thick and hold up relatively well outdoors plus you wont have to fabricate anything. Don't forget to use a sealant such as BedIT butyl tape (preferred) or 3M 4200 for the new bracket

geola1

Jan 24, 2019
catalina 25 Rathbun lake
Access looks pretty good assuming you can reach up there. If someone put those bolts in, you should be able to get them out. I'd probably use a ratchet wrench or ratchet with a deep well socket. You might need a second person on the outside to keep the bolts from moving. What's preventing you from accessing the bolts exactly?

Use some bigger and thicker backing plates. The fender washer on the lower right is a bit deformed. Seeing as how you're on an inland Lake with freshwater, I would use unistrut washers. They're cheap, very thick and hold up relatively well outdoors plus you wont have to fabricate anything. Don't forget to use a sealant such as BedIT butyl tape (preferred) or 3M 4200 for the new bracket
Good call on the unistrut washers I didn't notice the deformed one. I will have to drill two new holes and make an access area through the compartment that hold the fuel tank. It will be 8 Inches and covered with an 8 inch access cover that screws tight

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Good call on the unistrut washers I didn't notice the deformed one. I will have to drill two new holes and make an access area through the compartment that hold the fuel tank. It will be 8 Inches and covered with an 8 inch access cover that screws tight
I had to replace my mount and drill new mounting holes. I was able to reuse two holes for the bracket, another was used for routing outboard wiring and the last was used for the fuel line

geola1

Jan 24, 2019
catalina 25 Rathbun lake
I had to replace my mount and drill new mounting holes. I was able to reuse two holes for the bracket, another was used for routing outboard wiring and the last was used for the fuel line
All of my wiring and fuel line is on the outside. I am using a backer board to strengthen the mount due to the new motor is 99 lbs versus 56 for the old one. The new outboard bracket is needed up also. Thank you for your help.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Four stroke engines replaced the two stroke engines beginning in the late 1990’s with a final ending by 2006. The four stroke was heavier requiring an upgraded outboard motor bracket. As for the transom I started using stainless steel straps (2) to distribute the heavier load of the motor. As for the wires assuming the engine is an electric start, I used the trolling motor two prong plugs permanently installed high up on the transom or just inside the cockpit which customers liked for easy plug in and removal with a cover. I retired years ago so my memory on the Precision 23 is not as good but adding an inspection port to get to two of the screws may be a thought

The trolling motor plugs are designed to carry the amperage.

I cannot remember on the fuel line but whatever you do, make sure the locker is seperate from the cabin interior for safety reasons

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
@geola1 I almost answered the question from my experience with a Catalina 25 that you have in your profile. You may get better responses by mentioning the boat you are working on, or updating your profile. I'm sure there are many Precision owners here who may have faced the same issue.

geola1

Jan 24, 2019
catalina 25 Rathbun lake
The whole thing is puzzling. But the storage for the gas is right about the bolts for the adjustable bracket for the motor. I really appreciate all of the input. I think I on the right track. I also ordered a backing plate for strength due to drilling 2 new holes. Does that sound reasonable?

Attachments