New O'Day 25 owner

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks @Ward H , I never really planned to solo sail my O'Day because I do like having my daughter or company along. I had made plans to be at the boat on Sunday early, my cat has not figured out that weekends are not on the same schedule, so I knew I'd be up early. It's been several weeks since we got down to the boat and we had a ton of heavy rain so I wanted to make sure she was dry inside and aired out. As expected there was some water in the bilge, and the cabin was humid. I opened her up and wiped down everything to dry and clean, then since the outside was still very wet from the rain I went around and dried and cleaned her up. After an hour she was ship shape for a 1976 and the wind just seemed like it would be a good day to try.

I knew getting back into to the slip would be easy because the wind was pushing me into it so I really wasn't worried about that. the forecast called for pretty much 10+ and gusting could get sporty at 15+. So my biggest concern was how well I could get her to hold into the wind to raise and lower the sails. Overall the raising was a lot easier then I thought it would be, I had left my single reef in the main and decided step one would be just the main up then trim for a beam reach and see how she did. This approach worked pretty good and I had no trouble getting back and forth to the mast for the main and not scaring the hell out of myself. I spent a few minutes under main only and the motor in neutral before heading back forward for the jib, hank on sails so old school:) The wind was nice and consistent and I found raising the jib even with some load on the reach wasn't too hard with a couple of turns around the mast winch. The time to get them up and back to the cockpit went fast a smoothly, so I faked anyone out who was watching that I knew what I was doing.

Back in the cockpit was just like any other sailing day just this time I didn't need to talk and check on how anyone else was doing. I tweaked my bungee cord tiller pilot and trim till I had her sailing with no corrections from me which was a nice victory. With a good trim I was even able to leave the cockpit for a bit to get some water and my fleece jacket. My outbound leg was great and I enjoyed the broad reach run to the bridge.

I hadn't planned for a day sail, and had an afternoon of honey do waiting, so I turned around and headed back. Wind picked up a bit more and the close haul return was pretty exciting to say the least. One area we as a family have been scarred since last seasons bad day adventures was dealing with increased heel and lose of control. I feel now that this lose of control was almost entirely my fault and due to my lack of experience and knowledge. This year was about learning what I did wrong and working with skilled instructors and friends to not repeat those mistakes. I'm happy to say that even with a solid heel I never felt like the boat was going to lose it and I really had fun playing the puffs to pinch up even tighter. I know a better boat / sailor like @Jackdaw would point better then the old O'Day, but I was impressed with what I could get out of her right at the edge of luffing my sails just a bit. This was not a hands off return to say the least and since my motor is on the low side I had to spend a bit of time closer to the water then I normally do getting the engine ready to start up.

With the marina coming up fast it was time to get the sails down. I started the motor and put her in gear and tightened up my bungee cord tiller commander. I pointed bow in and hauled in the mainsheet tight and pulled both jib sheets tight to bring the jib to centerline. I managed to dropped the main pretty easy, but the jib got hung up and my bungee cord didn't hold her into the wind so she started to heal over. Back to the cockpit I went with a bit more throttle and tighter on the tiller I was able to make it back to the mast and finish dropping the jib without any issues. It wasn't the cleanest sail drop for sure but I was able to do it and not loose complete control of the boat. I did some quick sail flanking and the return to the slip was a non event with an easy step off to my dock and seconds to secure all the stern and bow line. I consider having no drama at the dock the number one goal of ever trip and this was a perfect score.

So I learned a lot of things and figure there are a lot of things I could do to the boat to make this easier, that is after all how it all starts right! I probably won't change anything to be honest, I'm starting to learn this boat is great for what she is and since I managed to sail in these conditions I'm pretty happy that I have that box checked now and can look outside and say, I'm going out for a couple of hours for personnel reset time!

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Hey @John Tubb
Nice write up of your sail. Definitely a confidence builder.
Here's some additional comments.

Back in the cockpit was just like any other sailing day just this time I didn't need to talk and check on how anyone else was doing.
Always fun to sail with someone but I also enjoy the solitude of solo sailing, worrying about no one but myself.
I always felt that solo sailing also gave me a chance to really concentrate on sail trim and play with different settings.

since my motor is on the low side I had to spend a bit of time closer tot he water then I normally do getting the engine ready to start up.
If the motor was on the low side in brisk winds when I was ready to start it, I'd tack so it was on the high side.
Another thing I'd do on my 25 when sailing in brisk winds cross sheet the jib sheets.
Instead of working the jib sheet on the low side I'd use the low winch as a turning block and bring the sheet to the high side winch.

One area we as a family have been scarred since last seasons bad day adventures was dealing with increased heel and lose of control. I feel now that this lose of control was almost entirely my fault and due to my lack of experience and knowledge.
All part of the learning experience and now you've got it under control.

It wasn't the cleanest sail drop for sure but I was able to do it and not loose complete control of the boat
I forget if you have a jib downhaul rigged. If not, you might want to try it. Untie the jib halyard and use the downhaul to pull the jib down.

Nice!

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Thanks @Ward H , I never really planned to solo sail my O'Day because I do like having my daughter or company along. I had made plans to be at the boat on Sunday early, my cat has not figured out that weekends are not on the same schedule, so I knew I'd be up early. It's been several weeks since we got down to the boat and we had a ton of heavy rain so I wanted to make sure she was dry inside and aired out. As expected there was some water in the bilge, and the cabin was humid. I opened her up and wiped down everything to dry and clean, then since the outside was still very wet from the rain I went around and dried and cleaned her up. After an hour she was ship shape for a 1976 and the wind just seemed like it would be a good day to try.

I knew getting back into to the slip would be easy because the wind was pushing me into it so I really wasn't worried about that. the forecast called for pretty much 10+ and gusting could get sporty at 15+. So my biggest concern was how well I could get her to hold into the wind to raise and lower the sails. Overall the raising was a lot easier then I thought it would be, I had left my single reef in the main and decided step one would be just the main up then trim for a beam reach and see how she did. The steps worked pretty good and I had no trouble getting back and forth to the mast for the main and not scaring the hell out of myself. I spent a few minutes under main only and the motor in neutral before heading back forward for the jib, hank on sails so old school:) The wind was nice and consistent and I found raising the jib even with some load on the reach wasn't too hard with a couple of turns around the mast winch. The time to get them up and back to the cockpit went fast a smoothly, so I faked anyone out who was watching that I knew what I was doing.

Back in the cockpit was just like any other sailing day just this time I didn't need to talk and check on how anyone else was doing. I tweaked my bungee cord tiller pilot and trim till I had her sailing with no corrections from me which was a nice victory. With a good trim I was even able to leave the cockpit for a bit to get some water and my fleece jacket. My outbound leg was great and I enjoyed the broad reach run to the bridge.

I hadn't planned for a day sail, and had an afternoon of honey dos waiting, so I turned around and headed back. Wind picked up a bit more and the close haul return was pretty exciting to say the least. One area we as a family have been scarred since last seasons bad day adventures was dealing with increased heel and lose of control. I feel now that this lose of control was almost entirely my fault and due to my lack of experience and knowledge. This year was about learning what I did wrong and working with skilled instructors and friends to not repeat those mistakes. I'm happy to say that even with a solid heel I never felt like the boat was going to lose it and I really had fun playing the puffs to pinch up even tighter. I know a better boat / sailor like @Jackdaw would point better then the old O'Day, but I was impressed what I could get out of her right at the edge of luffing my sails just a bit. This was not a hands off return to say the least and since my motor is on the low side I had to spend a bit of time closer tot he water then I normally do getting the engine ready to start up.

With the marina coming up fast it was time to get the sails down. I started the motor and put her in gear and tightened up my bungee cord tiller commander. I pointed bow in and hauled in the mainsheet tight and pulled both jib sheets tight to bring the jib to centerline. I managed to dropped the main pretty easy, but the jib got hung up and my bungee cord didn't hold her into the wind so she started to heal over. Back to the cockpit I went with a bit more throttle and tighter on the tiller I was able to make it back to the mast and finish dropping the jib without any issues. It wasn't the cleanest sail drop for sure but I was able to do it and not loose complete control of the boat. I did some quick sail flanking and the return to the slip was a non event with an easy step off to my dock and seconds to secure all the stern and bow line. I consider having no drama at the dock the number one goal of ever trip and this was a perfect score.

So I learned a lot of things and figure there are a lot of things I could do to the boat to make this easier, that is after all how it all starts right! I probably won't change anything to be honest, I'm starting to learn this boat is great for what she is and since I managed to sail in these conditions I'm pretty happy that I have that box checked now and can look outside and say, I'm going out for a couple of hours for personnel reset time!
Excellent write up and I'm very jealous that you are still sailing! Its 25 degrees here and my boat has been on its cradle since late October.
Singlehand sailing will improve your skill and confidence-keep it up! I also have a hank on jib and I agree with @Ward H that a jib downhaul will change your life.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks @Ward H on the feedback. I never thought using the leeward winch as a turning block. I actually just use the working sheet winch and cleat on the windward side across the cockpit. I'll have to try the motor trick next time.

I don't have a down haul. My understanding is it is a single line at the head to a block on the deck. I assume the line is not tied or attached to the hanks.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I don't have a down haul. My understanding is it is a single line at the head to a block on the deck. I assume the line is not tied or attached to the hanks.
Correct, that is how I ran it on my Newport 17. I ran the downhaul line to a cam cleat near the cabin top. Release the halyard and pull down the jib. Once down I would stuff the jib under the now taught downhaul line to hold it on deck until back in the slip.

One more note, I see you use the bungee cords with plastic balls on them. Some, including me, consider them dangerous. Those balls have a way of snapping back at you and hurt, even worse if the hit the eye. Might want to consider something else.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Fist sail of the year was Saturday in just beautiful conditions. My daughter wasn't 100% so I did my second solo day sail with no issues. Over the past month we have had a rediculous amountt of rain and high winds, my O'day did fin but the unloved Catalina 25 behind me managed to break loose and broke my rub rail off the stern / port corner. It isn't too bad but sucks as getting repairs done is a pain here. But still had a fun quick sail. My new boom vang didn't work out well on the install so I have to fixe that by adding a boom bail, not sure which length to get any recommendations?

http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=186

20190105_134103.jpg 20190105_134117.jpg 20190105_144042.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Still waiting on insurance, pretty annoying. But I decides to finally add an instrument to my boat!

20190205_173655.jpg

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Yesterday I signed over my 1976 O'Day 25 to her new owner. He is an active member in the club and has been sailing a O'day Day Sailor already. This is his upgrade for his family for comfort and to make fun family memories. I gave him a deal on the boat because I really wanted someone to have her and take care of her there. She has been on the lake since 1976 and within 10nm of where she is now the entire time, so it seems she should stay where she has taken care of her sailors for all these years. I owe him some orientation to the boat and motor in a week or so but he was happy to take her and be her new care taker. It was sad of course, but I'm happy she looks like she will be well loved and have a nice family out on her this summer vs waiting at the dock.