New O'Day 22 Owner, Rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2013
Wayfarer Mark I GRP Chicago
Hello everyone!

I am a proud new O'Day 22 owner. I purchased it from a great gentleman up in Milwaukee and he had a lot of documentation on the different pieces of the boat but none on rigging. I have done a few practice rigs in the driveway and need a few points of clarification on the rigging.

First is the Boom Vang, I see how it attaches to the boom, but fail to see how to attach it to the mast. The rigging is two blocks, the top block has a steel fitting that slides into and locks into a channel. The bottom is what is giving me trouble.

Also on the boom I see how the out-haul is set up and rigged, but on the opposite side of the boom is another block that I am not sure of the purpose on.

If anyone has pictures of there's rigged it would help greatly, or even just some general pointers on what I am missing.

Thank you in advance,
Michael

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
Congrats on the new boat. There have been several flavors of ODay 22 (at least 3) over the years, so we'll need to know the year yours was built.

My vang attaches via a bail on both the boom and the mast, yours is obviously different so I can't help you there.

The mystery block may be for a single line reefing setup (or double line reefing for that matter).

Perhaps you could post some pics of yours?

vang.jpg

Oct 13, 2013
Added Pictures

Here is a few pictures, I am working on getting more. I am away from the boat so working through my brother to get those.

For the boom vang it is the side of the right that has me stumped. It appears another line passes through it.

As for the year I am trying to find it now in my documents.

*Edit: Got picture of bottom of boom where the one side of boom vang connects and back bottom of mast. There is one cleat that is a little to the right of the edge of the picture that I used to attached the down haul too, but no other hardware.

Attachments

Oct 13, 2013
Congrats on the new boat. There have been several flavors of ODay 22 (at least 3) over the years, so we'll need to know the year yours was built.

My vang attaches via a bail on both the boom and the mast, yours is obviously different so I can't help you there.

The mystery block may be for a single line reefing setup (or double line reefing for that matter).

Perhaps you could post some pics of yours?
The hardware you show that is on your mast is the piece that I feel I am missing. Is that attached to your mast in some fashion or is it part of the block that is placed around the mast after stepping?

Jun 3, 2004
Oday and Catalina O'Day 25 and Catalina 30 Milwaukee
Here's a picture of mine

Congrats on the new boat. I had a 222 for 11 years and loved it. Sailed it all up and down the Lake Michigan coast, and also took it up to Door County. The 22 is nice boat. Attached is a photo of the vang that came on my O'Day 25. You appear to be missing the shackle that is attached to mine. I wonder if it broke and the owner rigged something to that small block. The shackle on mine attaches to an organizer I bought for the base of the mast-step. It used to go to a small ring that was at the base of the mast, but that made it difficult to lower the base without punching a hole in the deck (since I raise the mast from the stern rather than the bow). Anyhow, you could easily rig some type of shackle instead of the block.

Dave
s/v Lagniappe
O'Day 25

Attachments

Oct 13, 2013
Re: Here's a picture of mine

The shackle would make more sense. The hardware looks almost brand new so I would be surprised if it isn't a intentional decisions to have the small block on the end. Back of the mast has no place that I could see to use a shackle to attach too.

Trying to get a hold of him in the meantime, the year of the O'Day is 1980 if anyone has experience on that year's model.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I also have a 1980 22. My mast is the same as yours. I bought a boom vang but only use it to raise and lower the mast. I had the same questions your asking. I previously found a pic of someone using the vang. He ran a small rope through the eyelid on the front of the mast by the base. It looped around the mast and through the pulley on your boom vang.

The setup you have on the boom is also identical to mine. The pulleys and eyelids on your boom are for running a reefing line.

Enjoy your boat. This was my first season with mine and love it.

Oct 13, 2013
Thanks Spooled! Makes sense even though that seems like a little odd way of doing it. I will try to do another dry run at rigging the boat in the drive way before the cold weather drives us in for the winter.

Good to hear someone else enjoyed their first season on the 22, excited for next year when I can have her in the water.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The only reason I can think of why the block is attached to the double fiddle block is so that it will roll on a wire bale (like 3/8" in diameter for example) which is attached to the mast. This is unusual, but then unusual things happen. As mentioned above a shackle is the usual hardware. But, your photos do not show a bale at the mast of the mast and your teak hand rail obliterates any holes where that bale might attach.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
I was also thinking of why the vang would be setup like that on the later models whereas my early model has a more 'traditional' setup. I will hazard a guess that it has to do with the boom reefing setup where the vang needs to be removed in order to rotate the boom - a cumbersome prospect with my setup, but with the slot setup the vang is easier to detach. With that said don't use roller boom reefing, it's a poor design, rig up a single line reefing system instead.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Boom Vang rigging: pics are from my DS II, but the setup is the same. a short line runs through that small block and around the mast, it should run through an eye-strap on the forward side of the mast down near the base.

Oh, one other thing, I have the lower block installed upside-down since I don't use the built-in jam-cleat on the Vang, but instead use a cam-cleat on the aft edge of my cuddy.

I should have looked at all your pics first.....anyway, I added a copy of one of your pics with that eye-strap highlighted.

Attachments

Oct 13, 2013
Boom Vang rigging: pics are from my DS II, but the setup is the same. a short line runs through that small block and around the mast, it should run through an eye-strap on the forward side of the mast down near the base.

Oh, one other thing, I have the lower block installed upside-down since I don't use the built-in jam-cleat on the Vang, but instead use a cam-cleat on the aft edge of my cuddy.

I should have looked at all your pics first.....anyway, I added a copy of one of your pics with that eye-strap highlighted.
:theman:

You sir, are the man. I didn't even notice that eye-strap.

Do you use a 5/16" or smaller diameter line for that?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The line around the mast is definitely 1/4" Dacron double-braid, and I think the 10' of line that forms the tackle is also 1/4". 5/16" might fit the blocks, but I've never had a problem with the 1/4" and had used the same size line for the boom-vang on our old CAL 21 with a sail plan nearly identical to your 1980 O'DAY 22. Actually, the mainsail on your 22 is not all that much larger than the one on my DS II (at least is is about the same area as the one from the CAL 21. The CAL had a taller mast than a DS II and shorter boom, but both sails would be around 100 sqft.)

Status
Not open for further replies.