New N28 owner, with a couple questions

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
Good evening all! I have recently decided to take on the purchase of a 1976 Newport 28, and am anxious about getting to work on her throughout the winter and spring. She is far from perfect, and while there is a great following, I seem to be a little short on finding some pictures or information for the first real question I've thought of recently.

It might seem insignificant, but the first real question I have, is in regards to the port settee. I've seen mention in places about a slide-out that converts it into a double berth, and under the cushion, I see three grooves that would, in theory, be a track for something like that. But I haven't found any pictures of any such configuration either, not in use, or just in general. Was this actually a thing, and if so, does anyone have any photos of the setup? I have no problem fashioning one, other than just interested in how it would be supported once deployed.

There will be plenty other things, but those are general issues like straightening up wiring, or re-wiring in some places, sorting the plumbing out - it works but I'd like to get an idea of how it's all together.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
I have heard of the option but have not seen one either. I am interested as the vee berth is a tad small for me to sleep comfortably in.

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
Capital Yachts Newport 28 Burbank, WA
CharlzO,
I have a 1982 N28-2, and I have the port side bunk extension. It's basically a piece of ywood with a set of legs that fold down to support the edge when slid out. I'll be out to the boat over the next few days and can take a couple of pictures I can post when I get back. Might take a couple of days to get them posted.

Mitch

Jan 14, 2014
Mitch, that would be great, no rush! I have all winter to fashion one up. Looking forward to it. And much appreciated!

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
As I promised, here are some pictures of the port side bunk extension. I tried to get pictures that would help you in fabricating one for your boat. Hope these help.

Mitch
DSCI1350a.jpg
DSCI1351a.jpg
DSCI1353a.jpg
DSCI1354a.jpg
DSCI1356a.jpg
DSCI1358a.jpg
DSCI1361a.jpg

Jan 14, 2014
Those are perfect, thank you so much! I'm surprised there are no guide tabs on the underside to line up with the grooves in the seat molding, though I can see they wouldn't really be needed. Looks very simple to do, just a matter of finding hinges for the legs from somewhere.

Side note: is that what appears to be a hinged nav table at the end of it, that folds down level with the rest? That's quite a good idea.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
There are some differences between the Mk 1 & MK 2, The MK 1's have the recesses in the settee, the MK 2's appear to have larger access panels in the tops. Yes that is a fold out nav table, my MK1 has one also.

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
Glad the pictures are useful to you. There are two little guide blocks in each inside corner that line up with the molded slots. Can't help you with the legs, but it should be pretty easy to fabricate something that would work. Yes, that is a fold up map table. Works slick. Also, it didn't show in the pictures. The forward most storage compartment under the wood cover has a molded fiberglass tub that fits in it that can be lifted out to access some of the area that would otherwise not be accessible. Just in front of this tub is where the head sink drain seacock is located. The next compartment to the rear is where the batteries are located. Then the fold up map table. There is a storage area under it too. The starboard side is built the exact same way with the exception that the galley is over where the batteries would be. There is a drawer in the face of the of what would be the battery compartment. If you remove the drawer, and look inside, you will see that molded in battery trays just like on the port side. Not sure what is in the area where the folding map table would be. Need to get in there and take a look.

Mitch