new mounting point for mainsheet

Apr 6, 2014
catalina capri 18 carlyle lake, il
im considering making a stainless steel "bridge" that would go over the tiller cutout in the transom of my capri 18. it would look like a grab handle and be made out of tubing with welded flanges and bolted to the top of the transom on either side of the tiller. at the center would be a mounting point for the mainsheet blocks. this would remove the mainsheet mount from the backstay and put it in the middle of the transom. then you wouldnt have to adjust the mainsheet every time you came about. if i do indeed make this i will post pics.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What you're describing is what C22s and C25s have. It works, with limitations mentioned by almost everyone who has ever owned those two boats: 1) never wide engoouh, woulda been better to deal with mainsail angle of attack with a much wider base with end boom sheeting; 2) clunky hardware and poor purchase angles: figure out something with good turning blocks and fairleads.

Good luck, the C25 Association forum has a lot of good discussions of improvements skippers have made.

Good idea.

Apr 6, 2014
i was planning on making this piece and mounting the stock mainsheet blocks to the middle of it rather than to the backstay. i figure if i make it out of stainless tubing (as used on the original stern rails) with mounting flanges on the bottom, that it should still look pretty good plus make it easier to tack without having to adjust the mainsheet every time. if it works ill post pics

Apr 6, 2014
i made the bar i talked about before it goes across the slot in the top of the transom made for the tiller and is 9" tall. i have one question though. the hollow area inside the transom is pretty narrow and will be tough to through bolt on the bar. the p/o put an access port in the transom inside of the port side fuel tank locker but that is still a pretty good reach. can i put another access port in the middle of the transom (on the inside of course) in order to bolt the bar on? will this weaken the transom? i figure one 6" screw in plate would work?

Apr 6, 2014
actually the bar will fit inside the cutout for the tiller. i sailed yesterday and there is plenty of room there. when i get the whole thing installed ill let everyone know if it was worth the trouble,

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Tattoo

Your Idea is great but, as “Stu” is telling you everything will work much better if you install a traveler in that area and it needs to be much wider than the tiller cut out. So, most of the work and hull cutting would be better suited if you would do more research on how a traveler will help your boat perform.

What you’re talking about is a tattoo on your boat that you’ll have to live with the rest of the time you own this boat.