new member longtime owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
new member longtime owner with photos

I am the original owner of my 1985 Sirius 22 #16 named Tardis. My wife and I have sailed the boat on Lake Superior in the Apostle Islands, Isle Royale, and from Thunder Bay to the Slate Islands. When we sail this route we launch in Thunder Bay, work our way to the Slates at the top of the Lake and then sail to Rossport on the mainland nearby where I catch the Greyhound back to Thunder Bay to get the truck and trailer. It saves us having to sail back 100 miles against the prevailing weather. We have also sailed in Lake Huron's North Channel and Georgian Bay, having just returned from two weeks in the North Channel. We also sail on Lake Pepin (Mississippi River). Longest trip has been three weeks. We have kept the boat in very nice condition, original sails with a cruising spinnaker, pop top tent, two burner propane stove, basic instruments, etc. I added a winch to the starboard side rear cabin top so the halyards lead there and sails can be raised from the cockpit and have a jib downhaul rigged back to the cockpit too. I built a neat flip up backrest for the aft side of the dinette where the angle of the cabin made it uncomfortable. When we were a bit younger we really pushed this boat hard in rough conditions on Superior and it never let us down....we take it a bit easier now. I will do a bit of a refit this offseason, additional cabinetry next to the head, new foam for the dinette cushions, new keel cable(one strand has broken), new (larger) axle for the trailer. We have the original Shoreline trailer and I suspect the axle was barely adequate for the job as it seems to have lost it's camber as the tires are wearing badly on the inside tread. Also plan on mods to the stern pulpit to add a solar panel and various upgrades/mods to fittings and hardware where needed.

Mill Lake Collins Inlet Georgian Bay

With friends in Bad River Georgian Bay Lake Huron

South Benjamin North Channel Lake Huron

Barr Island Lake Superior

Horace Cove Slate Islands Lake Superior

Tee Harbor Lake Superior at the foot of the Sleeping Giant

On the way to Loon Harbor with the Sleeping Giant in the background. Thunder Bay is on the other side of the Giant

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Welcome!

Great story and great pictures. Your boat seems perfect for you.

Dec 19, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Lake Travis
Hey, there - welcome aboard. Great photos and looks like fun.

I was searching on "downhaul" and found your post. Do you have any tips on how to make one? I started with a basic setup: 1/4" line led through a small block at the forestay. The problem I have is the sail hanks jam on the way down. When I pull on the line, the pull is not straight so it jams.

How does your downhaul connect to the head of your jib?

Cheers and have fun sailing!

Steve

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Hey, there - welcome aboard. Great photos and looks like fun.

I was searching on "downhaul" and found your post. Do you have any tips on how to make one? I started with a basic setup: 1/4" line led through a small block at the forestay. The problem I have is the sail hanks jam on the way down. When I pull on the line, the pull is not straight so it jams.

How does your downhaul connect to the head of your jib?

Cheers and have fun sailing!

Steve
I usually had a small shackle that I would hook to the halyard shackle....on my latest trip I was missing that and just tied it to the halyard shackle. We have the halyards lead back to the cockpit so one of us will try and keep a little tension on the jib halyard as it goes down. I have a small pulley attached to an eyelet next to the forestay and several fairleads along the toe rail leading back to the cockpit. It works fairly well and we have not had a problem with it hanging up but I think having it attached to some type of sleeve that slides up and down the wire stay might be better yet.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Lampton Cove Slate Islands Lake Superior 2005

Couple of early photos back in the day likely around 1988 middle pic from 1992....Georgian Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.