New Mast Tangs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Excellent, but now ya have to make sure that the stainless is "L" grade so that when you weld it, it does not become sensitized and more prone to cracking.. Its Always something ! (Gilda Radner used to say)

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I really really do not prefer 'bolt connections' on masts
Absolutely. Neither the existing nor the proposed tangs are simply bolted to the mast. There are single bolts running right through with closely fitting compression tubes.

Which brings up an important point. Compression tubes are often lost when owners or yard workers pull a bolt to paint or inspect tangs. The tube then rattles around inside the mast until it's hoisted up for stepping. Someone in the yard picks it up and wonders, "What's this?" The owner later wonders, "Why did my mast fall down?"

The bolt and compression tube carry the stress right through to the tang on the other side with it's contact area distributing the force on the other side of the extrusion so both sides are working to resist the shroud forces.

Nov 6, 2006
My take on your original design is that it is more than twice as thick as the old tang design was so the stress would be lower than it was in the original. The original design guaranteed flexing in the top leg at the higher stress level. You didn't have a failure yet due to fatigue. so it follows that the original new design should last longer than the original tangs.. The fatigue curve is an exponential so less stress gets you to higher cycles fast.. at some low stress level, you fall below the fatigue curve and there is no fatigue failure.. Either one will last a LONG time and in both cases, the mast connection is the weakest part.

Nov 6, 2006
She certainly is a beauty, Roger, and you've installed some neat extras.. That cabin heater is a real plus for that sailing area.. Should stand her in good stead for a long life!

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack

Its stood the test of 40 years and shows no worse for the wear and its not like you going to soemthing that was not already a standard way of doing it

Now whats wrong with this t-ball picture PLENTY and Hall Spars became my Peter Kennedy trying to tell me it was OK until they finally fessed up and admitted they had used the wrong angle t-ball and replaced the rigging

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
People used to traverse oceans in open wooden boats with hemp rope for stays and shrouds. There is a point of over-engineering the tang. This isn't new science or anything. If somebody brake forms this for you, make sure they don't try to get away with using the knife die that's sitting in the press. You probably already know but make sure the radius is 2 X the thickness or 3/4" to avoid stress fractures. OH . . . the stories I could tell!

Nov 22, 2008
Strange, your tangs show the same sharp bend line, nearly a groove, as mine. I thought mine were just bent improperly. Everything I know about engineering says they should fail at that line but, like you said, they have lasted 40 years.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
The safety factor on most old boat stuff is so massive you have kind of small 3/16 uppers on the Cal puling on that giant tang :)

I see the 3/16 upper on the Cal29 as small because it is the same size as the J24 uppers BUT it seems to be plenty strong other than common sense replacing as it gets old

Nov 8, 2010
Ericson 29 Grand Lake, OK
A question if i may? What is your mast made of Roger?
If you like the second tang design I saw on the post I would point out that with a blocked eye tang you have the advantage that it is more forgiving as to shroud angle deviation than the strap tang. The bend angle on a strap needs to be very very close to the pull angle of the shroud to prevent stress as most of your force is applied onto the closest fastener to the shroud attachment and the blocked eye version is almost self angling (just need to make sure the angle of the shroud falls BETWEEN the anchor points to spread force equally).

Nov 8, 2010
Ericson 29 Grand Lake, OK
Thank you.
With all the material suggestions being put forth was kinda curious.

Nov 22, 2008
Anyone here ever heard of a Westsail 32 losing it's rig? Supposedly it is the ultimate production blue water cruiser with decades of service history. I was looking at the tangs of one having its rig disassembled today and was shocked by the geometry and how light they were. If there is a real world problem with my proposed simple 3/8" bent tangs then there ought to be Westsail 32 rigs all over the bottom of the ocean:)

Nov 6, 2006
You are correct, Roger.. My post #23 says that between the lines.. no problem with your original design.
The problem with asking Ingun-Ears a question is that lots of times they've had to explain a design to their boss.. No design is ever optimal, but you have to stop when it is sufficient!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
If you ask a mathematician for the value of Pi he will tell you 3.14159 and if you ask an engineer he will tell you 3.14159 but just to be on the safe side use 4. ;)

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
be nice3 to in-jun-eaerz.... they raised me-- they were always precise with their stuff, too.....

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Monel steel?????

I've got the data to get these tangs bent to exactly the right angle and will put toggles on them.

What do you think about using two layers of 3/16"? There is the possibility of crevice corrosion but they are way up above the salt in the rain and just one would be enough to hold the rig up in most conditions. A crack would leave me with some redundency.
why not use 1/4 inch thick monel insted of stainless steel ?......

regards

woody

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Monel steel?????

Roger how much force is needed to lay your boat on her beam ends? That is the most load that can be applied to the chain plates and mast tangs.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Not to extend this already overwrought thread but for the sake of my learning - what about cast tangs with the bend in the casting? For those in the know - is there a difference in the stress patterns between a SS bent tang and a cast bent tang? Can you even cast SS? Monel? What about Bronze?
I'm not asking about the cost factor, or if its practical. I'm just curious about the metallurgy involved. So you "in-jun-eaerz", please enlighten me.

Status
Not open for further replies.